Birds Bathtime.

media reports from the scientific and natural world, not specifically about dowsing.

Re: Birds Bathtime.

Postby mike » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:29 pm

Im filling up here, we had to have our cat put down today, it was a family cat we adopted some ten years ago, and we all at some time had her stay with us.She was found ten years ago in our shed at Exhall Coventry,where her mother came every day to feed her, till the family and the mother cat moved away after a month leaving Kora behind.We cared for her and after a few days would let us hold her and take food from the hand,and she has been part of the family ever since....But last night she went out late, and this morning the dog found her wet and suffering in the garden we think trying to get home.The vet said they think she had injested something which has shut her down, so the best thing was to put her to sleep to stop any suffering...Its so sad to end like this,but at least she was warm and dry and the PDSA staff are all angels and did all they could, I would urge anyone to support the PDSA where ever you live, they do such a wonderful job caring for animals,they are all very dedicated...
mike

Postby simonwheeler » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:27 pm

Condolences Mike. Always sad to have to lose "one of the family" like this. :cry: :cry:
As we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

www.simongordonwheeler.co.uk

Simon
simonwheeler

Postby mike » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:36 pm

Thanks Simon, yes its very hard,but life goes on and we are blessed that little bundle of fur chose to find us and spend her life with us all at home.
mike

Postby mike » Tue May 02, 2017 4:59 pm

Not got my heart in anything, but a Tern flew past the car low west to east at 11.04 this morning, thats very early in the year for them to be about in the midlands.
mike

Postby mike » Thu May 11, 2017 4:33 pm

We got the ashes back from the place today of Cora our family cat, she was ten years old and really had such a bad start to her life, but she was her own person and we all loved the little bundle of brown fur, even me who is not by nature a cat lover....When I think of her its with good thoughts and I will miss her I know, writing here today brings her closer for me,sleep well Cora,we all love and miss you.
mike

Postby mike » Mon May 15, 2017 1:09 pm

Well you learn something new every day, wild birds just LOVE suet fat balls as against lard fat balls, you would not think it matters to a bird, but it does.And to prove the point we have had lard fat balls in the garden for over a week and they are being eaten but very slow and sure...Then we placed a suet fat ball across from it and before ten minutes all the birds were on the suet ball fighting to get more, it just shows suet balls are KING. :mrgreen:

And suet fat balls can be used for feeding the wild birds all the year round, DONT feed birds safe none toxic peanuts in the Summer, as these will choke the babies in the nest, because of the size.
mike

Postby mike » Wed May 31, 2017 8:31 pm

Thought I would mention a story that might twang the heart strings tonight, but its true.I had a yellow Canary for many years when I lived at Exhall, and it was a real friend and would sing its head off the minute I walked downstairs every day. Then one day out of the blue it could not stand up and was falling over on the floor of its cage, so I made a little chair for it to hold it steady, but it fell out of that.So I held it in my hand and spoke gentle to it, and for 30 minutes it made soft sounds like it could not breath very well, then its little heart gave out and it died....I could not understand what had happened and thought perhaps old age had claimed it, but it was not that old.Then a year later I read where a number of Canarys were dying after tefal frying pans had over heated on a cooker and released gases, which were deadly for any Canary.And that was the cause of my little friend passing away, because the tefal pan HAD over heated the day before it became ill, when I forget it was on and I was talking on the phone....It was a shock to learn this, and I felt terrible to be the cause of my Canarys death, but its something I was not aware of, and even today Canarys are taken down coal pits to test for gas and bad air, that I was aware of.So dont allow any tefal frying pan to over heat in the kitchen folks, as it can kill cage birds like Canarys....Today I watched a Buzzard being mobbed by a Crow over Coventry, it chased it for a long way till it was right away from the group of trees near the railway line, where I think it might have had a nest there.The Buzzard was twice the size of the Crow, but it still dive bombed the Buzzard time and again, but always keeping just far enough away to stay safe.
mike

Postby mike » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:36 pm

I have not seen my friend the Crow with the deformed leg for months now, the last time was early Feb when we had those very cold nights, I just hope its well somewhere and I have not been looking in the right place. The last time it went missing for a year and it had me thinking the Crow had passed on,but it appeared again like it had never been away, so Im hoping this is the case again.Its such a hard thing for any wild bird to have something like a bad leg and have to compete with other birds for food in the Winter months, and even in Summer when things are much better.I dont mind spending money to buy suet balls and seeds and things to help them during the year, when I eat so does the birds and animals is my motto, and during the day they sing in my garden and I believe its just for me. :lol:
mike

Postby mike » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:22 pm

I woke this morning to see a Crow on the bird feeder eating a suet ball, and just for a moment I thought it was my friend the Crow, but no. But to post something the day before here and then see a Crow next day outside less than 10 feet away feeding in the garden had me doing a double take, to make sure my eyes were not playing tricks. :lol: I do hope its a sign things are well with my friend, every time I pass the area of the Slough Park I always look for him, thats where I saw him or her most often in the past.
mike

Postby mike » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:56 pm

Just now a small mother Blue Tit came in our garden with 2 small new birds I think she has been feeding for a week or more, she took food from the suet balls away so she still has chicks to feed somewhere else.The chicks sat and waited and she came back and fed both of them before flying off, its nice to see something like this, against the carnage on the roads during the Summer when new birds are leaning to fly and are hit by cars....Today I have seen at least 2 squirrels dead in the roads, perhaps they are searching for food, I dont know, its not nice.
mike

Postby mike » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:30 pm

A week ago two Mallard ducks landed on the green in front of our local shop on the estate below us, and they are still there today.I feed them every time I pass that way , and the ducks are very tame and will let you approach them close, with the female having a deformed leg would you believe.First the Crow and now a Mallard, whats it with me adopting birds with deformed legs, I seem to pick the ones that need extra help, OR perhaps its the birds that are picking me. :lol:
mike

Postby mike » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:51 am

REALLY exciting yesterday while driving to my granddaughters house in Coventry, I saw just for brief moment a Blackbird covered with white stripes from head to toe direction.It was only a 5 second sighting of the bird collecting worms on the roadside green, it had a beak full of worms, but I had to do a treble take in that moment to really see what it was. Its colour is striking with full black and white in about 45/55 black I would say from the brief glance I got, its streaks rather than circles or blobes on its body..I have never ever seen anything like this in 70 plus years of bird watching , perhaps its not a rare bird, but the colours are unique and very special,...I wont say where I saw the bird yet as its feeding babies close to where I saw it, and I dont want it disturbed, but I will try and get pictures, thats if ever I can know how to get them up on the forum. :lol: :lol:
mike

Postby mike » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:49 pm

Looked twice today for the black and white Blackbird when I passing the area, but I never saw it today, but I will watch for it when I drive over that area again during next week.
mike

Postby mike » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:02 pm

Looked again when I passed the position I saw that male Blackbird full of white streaks, and I could not see it again, perhaps it feeds late and early in the morning perhaps.With small birds in the nest they collect worms and food all day long in bursts,with sometimes an hours break in between each feeding.....I remember some years ago I was walking through town centre when I spotted a small green bird on the floor just moving, it was VERY like a Robin but pure green with a yellow slash across each eye.I tucked it in my vest and took it home, placed it in a cardboard box and left it till the morning after placing some meal worms from the fishing tackle shop in with it. Early next day I took the box downstairs and opened it in the garden where it had room, the green bird shot out and looked at me as it sped towards the Sun, as if saying thanks, never found out what that bird was, but Im sure it was not any British bird.
mike

Postby mike » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:35 pm

Passing over the A444 today at 14.37 hours I saw a small brown deer walk out of the small strip of trees to my right left sniff the air, then walk back in the bushes and trees as I passed.This is close to the same area where I have seen spirits/people with long black cloaks on, but Im not sure if the two are connected ?
mike

PreviousNext

Return to Science & Nature