Newbie & question

for matters relating to dowsing for water supplies including wells, boreholes, heat pumps and other services.

Newbie & question

Postby paulp » Thu May 03, 2012 12:16 pm

Hi, I am new to dowsing and have just joined the forum, I would like to make my own rods and have seen various methods on the internet 'how to' but can i make them from copper cable (3.2mm) which has a number or cores twisted together or must it be a single solid core rod, your advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Re: Newbie & question

Postby simonwheeler » Thu May 03, 2012 1:48 pm

Have a look at this thread or use the Search button (top right of the page). Plenty to read!!
As we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

Postby Ian Pegler » Thu May 03, 2012 5:50 pm

Hi Paul

My old article "Dowsing - an introduction" is available again.

Download is available from this page:

There's a bit about making L-rods in there.

Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby arthur hamlin » Thu May 03, 2012 7:27 pm

Hi Paul,
They can be made out of anything rigid enough and stay parallel to the ground.
I made many telescopic ones made from radio aerials and white plastic tubes for the International Dowsing event in 2003 and had a job to keep up with demand.
This way they will fit in your pocket out of sight but whatever makes you happy and it works.
Good luck.
arthur hamlin

Postby Grahame Gardner » Thu May 03, 2012 10:25 pm

To answer the original question (welcome to the forum Paul BTW) - I suppose you could make them out of twisted core copper cable, but they might not be the easiest to use, although that would perhaps depend on whether you removed the insulation from the wires or left it on. If the insulation is left on it will increase the 'turning resistance' in the hand, yet if you remove the insulation there is a danger of the whole thing falling apart.
'Try it and see' is the best answer. If it works for you, fine. If not, try something else. Wire coathangers are the usual first choice for home-made rods; you don't even have to cut them up to make L-rods, they work just fine as they are (hold the long side with the hook pointing forward).
arthur hamlin wrote:I made many telescopic ones made from radio aerials and white plastic tubes for the International Dowsing event in 2003

I think I saw a pair of those recently, Arthur! I was wondering where they came from. Nice work.
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
Grahame Gardner
Site Admin

Postby paulp » Fri May 04, 2012 9:50 am

Hi all, many thanks for finding the time to answer me, I have checked out your PDF Ian and printed it off, I shall get busy the weekend and make some rods. Once again thank you all.

Return to Water Dowsing