Anyone attempted to find artefacts in the field?

for matters relating to archaeological and historical dowsing.

Anyone attempted to find artefacts in the field?

Postby Filternozzle » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:00 pm

I am interested to know if anyone has tried to find artefacts/coins out in the field by dowsing?
A few years ago I became interested in dowsing, I played around using 10 identical containers, each container held a different object. I had my wife place the containers within the room and I dowsed each container and stated what each held, my wife made a note of my comments and once all containers had been dowsed the containers were opened to reveal the contents. 6 correct answers and 4 wrong I can tell you I was over the moon with excitement. For the next 2 weeks I carried out the same experiment and was consistently getting 5, 6 or 7 correct. I then started to read a number of books and think about the subject more deeply. What happened next cooled me right down till the present time. In the 3rd week I found I could not get even 1 correct, time and time again my score was zero.
I put it down to pure luck or coincidence and that the zero scores just evened it out. I lost interest in dowsing until recently. Whilst away having a break at a hotel, I had a little time on my hands before the evening meal, the weather was nice and I was surrounded by lovely countryside and woods. For some reason I decided to go into the woods with a weight on a bit of string to look for old silver coins. In the 45 minutes of searching I only had one positive signal and it turned out to be a Victorian 1/2d just below the leaf mould. Now, it was not a silver coin but I can tell you I was real pleased to find that very corroded coin and I am looking forward to trying this again.
If anyone else is doing this sort of dowsing I'd be interested to hear how you are getting on.
Keep it simple.
Filternozzle

Re: Anyone attempted to find artefacts in the field?

Postby DarkChestofWonders » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:56 pm

Filternozzle Wrote

What happened next cooled me right down till the present time. In the 3rd week I found I could not get even 1 correct, time and time again my score was zero.

I haven't tried looking for artefacts myself but it seems to me that you were shown a couple of things, yes you can find hidden objects.

to look for old silver coins.

Maybe not for profit though.
Just my opinion.

Your Victorian 1/2d is still a good result.
Sometimes things have to be believed to be seen
DarkChestofWonders

Postby Grahame Gardner » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:56 pm

Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
Grahame Gardner
Site Admin

Postby Filternozzle » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:54 pm

Grahame Gardner wrote:Related thread: Go out and find stuff much?

Interesting. But why do dowsers not just go out on their own and do their own thing, if they want company take another like minded friend to find items?
If it stops raining this weekend I will give it another try.
Keep it simple.
Filternozzle

Postby mike » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:10 pm

I always think its not the value of the item you find but the fun of just dowsing some item and digging it up afterwards, Im sure SO much remains hidden out there just waiting to be found if we just go and dowse/look.If these old legs would only work better Im sure I would walk every local field where I checked on Google Earth and found something of interest to go and dig for, the idea of field walking is exciting, but not at my age and with my restricted mobility.Much better to check first on Google Earth and then when when your sure go and look in that precise spot in the field, with the farmers permission it goes without saying, GOT TO KEEP LEGAL. :lol: :lol: Years ago when I was fishing our local beach I would dowse around the rods when it was quiet, looking for coins lost in the Summer, and often the money found would pay for the bait next time out, double fun and never a dull moment. :mrgreen:
mike

Postby Ian Pegler » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:59 am

Filternozzle wrote:
Grahame Gardner wrote:Related thread: Go out and find stuff much?

Interesting. But why do dowsers not just go out on their own and do their own thing, if they want company take another like minded friend to find items?
If it stops raining this weekend I will give it another try.

I would like to re-raise the question I originally asked at the start of the Go out and find stuff much? thread back in 2006, because I was never happy with the answers I got.

So I ask again, what is preventing dowsers from doing what the metal detectorists do? For sure archaeology dowsers can occasionally make headlines, but the number of finds (actual and tangible) could be greatly increased if they did a bit of actual digging themselves. It seems like an opportunity is being missed.

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby Geoff Stuttaford » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:50 am

I have located areas o on site and by map dowsing where dowsing has indicated that artifacts exist but I have never had any desire to excavate for them. Whether that lack of desire is due to sub conscious knowledge that , actually, there is nothing there except, possibly, remanance and my dowsing is wrong, or for some other reason, but am I alone in not wanting to dig up dowsed artifacts ?
Geoff

Those friends thou hast, and their adoption tried, grapple them to thy soul with hoops of steel (Polonius)
Geoff Stuttaford

Postby simonwheeler » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:31 pm

Geoff: am I alone in not wanting to dig up dowsed artifacts ?

No!
As we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

www.simongordonwheeler.co.uk

Simon
simonwheeler

Postby mike » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:33 pm

Years ago I would fish and dowse while I was waiting for bites, I could often find money lost during the Summer when people would sit on the beach and money would fall from their pockets. It was a fun thing then and still is today when I dowse from Google and visit many places across the world looking for things of value.I have no fear or bother if I get it wrong, as dowsing is very much a learning curve you ride every day, my only concern is I cannot prove the finds are there as Im restricted walking and moving about. But if I could I would dig every place where I thought things of value remain hidden, win or loose its the best fun you can have with your clothes on, and the fun is finding something you just dowsed is there, not its value. 8)
mike

Postby mike » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:49 pm

Further to this I wonder if its possible to hide something like a gold and silver coin/object in a patch of ground, and overlay that area with grid lines perhaps 1 to 10 .Get a photo of that patch of ground and offer to those who map/picture dowse a chance to see which segments have something within them.We could email one member with our answers, and see just how close we get to finding any objects, and perhaps show how good dowsing proved to be.It could be a complete waste of time with nobody getting close, but on the other hand it would be interesting to see what sort of results we could get. We could get a camera on 10 second delay on a pole like when we crop circled, looking down on a patch of ground where perhaps two coins had been placed in one or more squares pegged out. A simple enough thing to do for a dowsing test, and then repeat it perhaps on the same day moving two coins about to different squares and taking another picture, to have a repeat dowsing test perhaps a week later, even doing it three times to make it more interesting.It would only take two members to do this,and a length of white tape, and a camera on delay up a pole to overlook the patch of ground....Needless to say before any coins go in the ground, dowse it first to make sure its clear of ANY coins. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Im game. No names need to be mentioned in any report, perhaps just under ten people would have a go, so its no great problem to undertake...A blind dowse would prove much harder, not knowing what has been buried, but still very possible,and very interesting any results from this sort of dowse.

Oh yes, free membership for a year would be nice for the person who comes closest. :lol: :lol:
mike

Return to Archaeology