Dowsing for Mastodons

for matters relating to archaeological and historical dowsing.

Dowsing for Mastodons

Postby Grahame Gardner » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:08 am

Susan Collins, a past president of the Canadian Society of Dowsers (soon to appear in one of our podcasts), has an interesting map-dowsing project on her website. The goal is to locate buried remains of mastodons on a farm in Ontario, where mastodon bones have previously been discovered. A follow-up field dowsing trip is being planned for the spring of 2011.

If anyone would like to participate in what sounds like a fun exercise, you can find more details by clicking here.
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
Grahame Gardner
Site Admin

Re: Dowsing for Mastodons

Postby mike » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:49 pm

SOUNDS like it could be fun,and think of all those happy dogs with the left over pile of bones :lol: And what else have you to do this cold weather, apart from sit close to the fire and dream of summer 8)
mike

Postby arthur hamlin » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:51 pm

I have hoped for some time now that a challenge such as this can be made available to us on our own forum site.
A map is shown and requests put out to find such and such for a farmer say who has requested the information.
Like a crossword puzzle if some or all of the returned answers are incorrect at least it will have oiled the works so to speak and we could be looking forward to the next one.
I also miss the letters in the Mag where sometimes requests were put out to find something of value to the owner or to obtain a solution to something that needs addressing.
Interestingly I did not get any Mastodons on Brenda`s Farm but did get that they existed 25 miles to the west and that they were tamed and used as beasts of burden, similar to the dowsing/automatic drawing response I obtained for Malta where Mammoths pulled large sledges - the twin track marks of which are still in evidence in the chalky surface and even fenced off in one part to protect it from decline.
Arthur
arthur hamlin

Postby mike » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:12 pm

I get hits at ****** of this photo, but I'm going to try and find the area on Google, **/**/**/** ,MIGHT get my chance to be the Big Game Hunter. :mrgreen:
(mod - result squares deleted - please do not post your results here as it will bias other dowsers and invalidate the whole point of the exercise. Report your results directly to Susan using the form on her website - GG)
mike

Postby arthur hamlin » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:31 pm

Good luck Mike,
I will be interested to see what you pick up.
If you get a positive response would you care to ask if they were tamed and used as beasts of burden?
Arthur
arthur hamlin

Postby mike » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:59 pm

Hi Arthur,
Okay to be honest here I thought, ARE YOU KIDDING, but I did what you asked and the reply was, SOME of these beasts were used for heavy work/pulling,okay I dowsed a slight reply of yes, and when I pushed the answer I got some small tame animals were used to do labour, much like the Elephants are in India....Trained from early times and used for pulling/heavy work......Well done you,but I would not like the job of walking in front holding the carrot. :lol: I have posted/emailed a reply to Susan, hope they do find something.
mike

Postby arthur hamlin » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:29 pm

Thanks Mike,
I also wrote to Susan and received a generous reply but will not declare any more info as it can affect other dowsers wishing to have a go.
But itching none the less to tell what responses I had.
It intriques me about what went on in the past, but all we can do it seems is to report out findings and hope it reaches an appreciative audience. Unless of course we are sufficiently gifted/able to obtain accuracy for dowsing buried objects or ancient structures and subsequently to receive verification by man made equipment and later for exposure.
I also wish the the BSD could accomodate an interest in automatic drawing and that classes could combine dowsing with that facility.
It does not take too much to learn from being deviceless and can open up a whole new way of seeing and understanding that which one is seeking.
Arthur
arthur hamlin

Postby mike » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:08 pm

OOOPPpppssssss I forgot and posted what I found, sorry everyone, its a case of excitement and the hunt, but like you Arthur I hope Susan lets us know how we done, Im in suspenders till then :lol:
mike

Postby mike » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:35 pm

HAD another crack at dowsing for Mastodons ,wont go into details like before,but hope we hear something back,its fun this and we could look next for OIL or something, make some money, :mrgreen:
mike

Postby mike » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:26 pm

Looking for Mastodons in this one specific area, I was thinking could you include all types of prehistoric animals given they dont all fall in the one frequency or band to dowsing, WOULD it be possible to search in a very wide way to include all animals of that very early period..I dont see why you could not pick each animal like we did with the Mastodon and search JUST for that alone,I have to check this out with a web search on the different types of animals of the time and see if they match up, or if its possible to pick some out of the rest and do a specific search.Perhaps they all fall in the one frequency or band and you find anything in that group/period of time, be fun to know if its possible to select one specie from another ? Should get some sort of results from Susan during the summer months,as I think they will hold some weekends of checking dowsing results after the winter weather has cleared, fingers crossed we all get hits 8)

Looks like each animal has its own specific frequency from a number of web sites I checked out, so if you get a hit its possible to then go back and perhaps match it to one specie, they do vary a bit,even the bird type of critter with sharp teeth. :roll:
mike

Postby mike » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:56 pm

A good friend had a special Amber find down the South Coast a while ago, so I checked the area again and found two sites where I thought more Amber was, including at least three places where I felt old bones were as well...He has the sites and promised to check those places soon for me,well us, this is a fun thing and I feel we as a group should perhaps do more of this.Even to the point where perhaps we could HIRE a set aside field somewhere and go looking for a hidden object perhaps, to tone our dowsing skills both on site and by remote dowsing,and if it proved good enough it might interest the TIME TEAMS of this world. 8)
mike

Postby mike » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:03 pm

I dowsed for Amber and pre historic bones along the south coast for a friend at Bexhill, but Im still waiting for any results or finds, so instead I have found a place close to home where I beieve a modest amount of coins remain hidden there, and when the weather warms up I shall go digging with the farmers permission...Dont fancy digging after dark and the chance the farmer catches me, as I cannot run as fast as I used to :mrgreen: , well lets be honest I cannot run period. :lol: But the idea we can dowse from maps and such like interests me enough to give this and other things a go,after all what does it cost, perhaps a little time and effort, and something to do when its too cold to venture far during the day.
mike

Postby mike » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:40 pm

HAS ANYONE HEARD ANYTHING, have to email the lady who posted this thread to see if she has dug anything up at the site,Im all in suspenders waiting :mrgreen:
mike

Postby mike » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:55 pm

Emailed Susan and she told me the digging will start end of October in Canada, so the report will come out to all interested people about Christmas, so we have to wait a bit longer....Should have looked for GOLD there so we had money coming in when the claim was dug, who needs the Euro lottery :mrgreen:WON £2.70 this week, well its a start :lol:
mike

Postby Grahame Gardner » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:06 pm

mike wrote: :mrgreen:WON £2.70 this week, well its a start :lol:

So it wasn't you who'd won the 160 million then? :lol: :lol:
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
Grahame Gardner
Site Admin

Next

Return to Archaeology