Capel Battery, Folkestone

for matters relating to archaeological and historical dowsing.

Capel Battery, Folkestone

Postby Danielle McCarthy-Stewart » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:21 pm

Hi everyone,
I have a friend who has bought a former battery, "Capel Battery" on New Dover Road, Folkestone. It is a WW2 communications site with a network of subterranean tunnels and rooms, a bit like the underground hospital at Dover Castle. The guys are restoring the site to be used as a facility for amateur radio (their obsession) and at the moment they are trying to locate the position and nature of all the old tunnels, chambers and drainage channels. Some of the original tunnels are Napoleonic, I'm told, so it's quite an interesting site. My friend (Trevor) has quite a good instinct for (deviceless) dowsing himself and has also successfully used electrical methods to locate some of the cable tunnelling. I have seen the plans and the site is very large and complex, so I was wondering if there are any archaelogical dowsing enthusiasts in the local area who might be interested in a visit to give John and Trevor a hand in locating and identifying the nature of these features, so they can make decisions on how to dig and what they might find. I know they'd be grateful for any input, so if anybody finds this interesting, please let me know and I can pass you on to Trevor or John. If you'd like more information, let me know and I'll ask them for it.
Thanks very much, Danielle.
(moderator deleted)
Danielle McCarthy-Stewart

Return to Archaeology