Megalithic Update

for matters relating to archaeological and historical dowsing.

Megalithic Update

Postby Geoff Stuttaford » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:30 am

Calleva Atrebatum
Subject: Megaliths in England
Roman walled town near Silchester in Hampshire. Annual digs take place here.
An Iron Age settlement lies beneath the Roman Town, excavated in 2009.
Note: Relic of Harpocrates, the Egyptian god of secrecy and silence, found at Silchester. Also the town grid pattern is now thought to be pre-Roman
http://www.megalithic.co.uk/article.php?sid=23221

Snowden Crags Cairn Circle
On Thurs 20 May 2010, Paul Bennett and a group of friends re-discovered this site on Askwith Moor and made several visits to determine exactly what lies there. It's not just a circle of stones, there are a couple of things that make it an intriguing find, not only its comparatively large size but also a possible ancient excavation.
http://www.megalithic.co.uk/article.php?sid=26791

Westray Heritage Centre
Subject: Megaliths in Scotland
A modest museum in Pierowall, the main village on the Orkney isle of Westray, which contains a permanent exhibition of Westray's history, flora and fauna. In addition to the permanent exhibition, each year sees a new exhibition on a specific local topic.
Note: Photos from the Westray figurine exhibition, on all summer. Also a second figurine is found on Westray!
http://www.megalithic.co.uk/article.php?sid=26788

Moel Ty Uchaf
Subject: Megaliths in Wales
The cairn-circle of Moel Ty Uchaf stands high on a hill near Llandrillo. It consists of 41 stones with a cist in the centre and an outlying stone to the north-north-east.
Note: Government files of the "Welsh Roswell" incident released, more details below
http://www.megalithic.co.uk/article.php?sid=1144

Fenstanton Cursus
Cursus in Cambridgeshire
[Article about exciting Rock Art doodle added to this page to show background of other possible neolithic activity in the immediate area - MegP Ed]
Note: Neolithic Doodle Rock Art found in quarry near village of Over, Cambridgeshire
http://www.megalithic.co.uk/article.php?sid=25432

Tottiford Reservoir
Mixed Ceremonial Site in Devon. Archaeologists have discovered the remains of a 'prehistoric city', buried beneath a reservoir in southern England. Archaeologists observing the city are justifiably astonished at its existence.
Note: Time Team in talks over dig at Tottiford Reservoir and also the report from the National Park Authority: "discovery has to rank as one of the most important on Dartmoor in recent times.- Jane Marchand, National Park Archaeologist"
http://www.megalithic.co.uk/article.php?sid=24205
Geoff

Those friends thou hast, and their adoption tried, grapple them to thy soul with hoops of steel (Polonius)
Geoff Stuttaford

Re: Megalithic Update

Postby Got a few questions » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:36 pm

http://www.megalithomania.co.uk/southafrica2011.html Taking place next week 12 -13 March

It is possible to live-stream as well.
Got a few questions

Postby Helen-Healing » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:20 pm

Geoff Stuttaford wrote:Fenstanton Cursus
Cursus in Cambridgeshire
[Article about exciting Rock Art doodle added to this page to show background of other possible neolithic activity in the immediate area - MegP Ed]
Note: Neolithic Doodle Rock Art found in quarry near village of Over, Cambridgeshire

Christopher Evans, director of the university's Archaeological Unit, thinks the concentric circles were created by one of our early ancestors ''killing time'' as opposed to a work of art. Mr Evans said: ''I think it was a doodle. I don't think it has any deep and meaningful religious significance. In this era of the Neolithic period they had a lot of time on their hands.

You know, it really gets up my nose when I read idiocies like this. :evil: How the hell does he know what they did with their time 4,500 years ago?! I think Mr Evans has too much time on his hands.
Helen-Healing

Postby Geoff Stuttaford » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:00 pm

From what I have dowsed, the purpose of creating stone circles was to form "acupuncture points" in a circular form to heal 'sour' ground over a wide area. I understand that stone circles created today have a similar aim, or does anyone know differently ?

I think piles of stones erected in a field are built for the same purpose but on a smaller and more temporory scale. I have also found that some crop circles have a similar purpose.
Geoff

Those friends thou hast, and their adoption tried, grapple them to thy soul with hoops of steel (Polonius)
Geoff Stuttaford

Postby simonwheeler » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:07 pm

You know, it really gets up my nose when I read idiocies like this. :evil: How the hell does he know what they did with their time 4,500 years ago?!

Oh, I do so agree, Helen.
And when watching some of these "oh-good-we're-off-on-a-jolly-all-expenses-paid" documentary about Life, History, Space, Culture, Civilisation, Archaeology (all, of course, capitalised) the number of assumptions made- with little or no evidence...indeed, dismissive of possible evidence- drives me nuts. Shame really, I dare say that some of the info & interpretations may be accurate....but so many are just crass. I'm afraid I don't watch many now...I used to get hoarse shouting at the TV. Not good for blood pressure....

As we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

www.simongordonwheeler.co.uk

Simon
simonwheeler

Postby Geoff Stuttaford » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:13 pm

Agreed, Simon and Helen. My contacts 'upstairs' tell me that they regard TV Archaeological programmes as comedy shows !
Geoff

Geoff Stuttaford

Postby mike » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:36 pm

Helen-Healing wrote:
Geoff Stuttaford wrote:Fenstanton Cursus
Cursus in Cambridgeshire

Christopher Evans, director of the university's Archaeological Unit, thinks the concentric circles were created by one of our early ancestors ''killing time'' as opposed to a work of art. Mr Evans said: ''I think it was a doodle. I don't think it has any deep and meaningful religious significance. In this era of the Neolithic period they had a lot of time on their hands.

You know, it really gets up my nose when I read idiocies like this. :evil: How the hell does he know what they did with their time 4,500 years ago?! I think Mr Evans has too much time on his hands.

I would date this rock at 4800 years ago,and its far from some doodle for me....The spiral lines are to be found at every ancient site and genuine crop circle, they are the forces of the planet, and to some people very special, Avebury, Silbury Hill, Stonehenge all contain this spiral form, a sign of a sacred place, perhaps not far from where this rock carving was found.It shows to me some very early folks were aware and had the knowledge of sacred sites on this planet even at that time, far from being a doodle, its a very special carving of the earth forces at that place,in my opinion.
mike

Postby mike » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:35 pm

Moel Ty Uchaf
Subject: Megaliths in Wales
The cairn-circle of Moel Ty Uchaf stands high on a hill near Llandrillo. It consists of 41 stones with a cist in the centre and an outlying stone to the north-north-east.
Note: Government files of the "Welsh Roswell" incident released, more details below
http://www.megalithic.co.uk/article.php?sid=1144

Wonderful stone circle here, I date it to 7200 years when the first stones were erected, powerful sacred ground and very old, full of influence in my opinion.
mike

Postby Geoff Stuttaford » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:09 pm

What gves you the idea that the site is sacred, Mike ?
Geoff

Geoff Stuttaford

Postby mike » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:04 pm

Sacred to me is containing a centre where both radial and spiral lines of energy rise and spread out to cover the planet,(looking like a dart board) many stone circles have this special energy form, same as a number of centres at Avebury and Rollrights and Silbury Hill and places like that of great age, the rings of stone and mounds mark these places, and sometimes rings of trees that often date much older, these places are our heritage from the ancients who walked these sites I feel.
mike

Postby Geoff Stuttaford » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:22 pm

The definition of 'sacred by one dictonary implies a religious connection......

1. devoted or dedicated to a deity or to some religious purpose; consecrated.
2. entitled to veneration or religious respect by association with divinity or divine things; holy.
3. pertaining to or connected with religion ( opposed to secular or profane): sacred music; sacred books.

Origin:
1275–1325; Middle English, orig. past participle of sacren to consecrate < Latin sacrāre to devote, derivative of sacer holy.

I fully agree with your comments about these sites but do you consider, Mike, that there is a relgious association with any of the sites you mention and, if so, what was the religion ?

I'm just trying to find out why some people call some sites and geometry 'sacred'when I cannot trace any religious connection myself.
Geoff

Geoff Stuttaford

Postby simonwheeler » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:48 pm

I know what you're saying, Geoff. However, we are into semantics possibly.
"Sacred" and "sacred geometry" are slightly different conceptual uses of the word "sacred".
Check out this site or maybe even Wikipedia which is, again, slightly different in its interpretation.

Of course, the definitive place to look must be Grahame Gardner's explanation which is thorough (though he says he's "barely scratched the surface") and authoritative.

(And just to add extra to the mix: there's this on sacred geometry of music....)Image
As we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

www.simongordonwheeler.co.uk

Simon
simonwheeler

Postby Geoff Stuttaford » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:28 pm

(M) I know what you're saying, Geoff. However, we are into semantics possibly.
"Sacred" and "sacred geometry" are slightly different conceptual uses of the word "sacred".
Check out this site or maybe even Wikipedia which is, again, slightly different in its interpretation.

(G) We might well be into a semantic problem, Mike. I have never regarded sites or any kind of geometry as 'sacred' except those that are directly connedted with religion of some kind.. It looks as though we have the old problem of not having a proper word to describe something that is rather wonderful from a mathematical viewpint.

(M) Of course, the definitive place to look must be Grahame Gardner's explanation which is thorough (though he says he's "barely scratched the surface") and authoritative.

(G) Thanks for that, Mike. Brilliant article but again I cannot personally relate it to anything sacred.
(Sigh) One problm I have is this - if you have one megalith it is just a megalith but if you have a lot of megaliths (like Avebury) why do several megaliths arranged in a elliptical pattern make a site 'sacred' ? Conversely, one might say that a barrow (e.g. West Kennet) where bodies/bones have been stored, similarly the laying out of bodies to be devoured by birds of prey (e.g.Apaches and many other races world wide in ancient times) could be regarded as sacred sites because of their connection with the religion of the period.

Avebury, I'm told, was laid out some 30,000 years ago, by a race of very intelligent beings, in order to create energies for healing the land and its inhabitants in that area. It's 'magic' is still working in that it spawns crop circles annually in the neighbourhood for the same purpose. There was no religious basis for the erection of Avebury or the energies it created and still creates
Geoff

Geoff Stuttaford

Postby Geoff Stuttaford » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:43 pm

Dear Mike,

My apoligies to you. Simon has very kindly pointed out that he wrote the last post not you. I hope you haven't taken offence about my mis-addressing my post in error.

Thank you, Simon.
Geoff

Geoff Stuttaford

Postby arthur hamlin » Sun May 01, 2011 7:36 pm

(G).Avebury, I'm told, was laid out some 30,000 years ago, by a race of very intelligent beings, in order to create energies for healing the land and its inhabitants in that area. It's 'magic' is still working in that it spawns crop circles annually in the neighbourhood for the same purpose. There was no religious basis for the erection of Avebury or the energies it created and still creates
.Geoff

(A).I get that it was about 50,000 years ago for the beginnings of Avebury with basic wooden domestic structures for inhabitants doing forestry work clearing the area for the building of palisades and other dwelling/storage facilities .
I get that the first 5 large Stone Megaliths arrived approx 45,000 years ago, and were placed there to enable them to worship the Sun.
If so I consider this a form of religious activity.
Arthur
arthur hamlin

Next

Return to Archaeology