can you map dowse ?

for matters relating to archaeological and historical dowsing.

can you map dowse ?

Postby stephen » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:48 pm

Hello all,

I was hoping some of the more experienced map dowsers amongst you may help me.

Back in the 70s I dug through a plague pit within the old walled town of Worcester. I am almost sure it was in 'Angel Place'. A recent visit didn't help - it has changed beyond recognition in the last 30 odd years and - Sod's Law - I didn't have any rods with me!

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Stephen

Moved from "General" forum by I.P. 15.4.09, corrected grammar
stephen

Re: can you map dowse ?

Postby stephen » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:29 pm

hi george, thanks for replying.

sorry i didnt put enough info' in my post, but i have just been on the google site to get a link.
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 01133&z=17

blimey first time ive done this, seems a long link? the post code is wr1uk.
angel place is a small road in the centre of worcester, i hope this helps.

thanks
stephen

Postby stephen » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:22 pm

hello george,
great news that you picked something up within the vicinity, angel place used to be a sheep market and at least one local historian has the area down as the site of a plague pit. there doesnt appear to be any recent records supporting this, which is a bit of a teaser especially as i uncovered nigh on 100 or so skeletons!.

dont know if these dates help george but the first plague was in 1349, the next big epedemic to hit worcester was in 1637 with lesser outbreaks in the intervening years. may vary a little, (depends what source you have i think)

best regards

stephen
stephen

Postby Lorraine » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:17 pm

The feeling that I got from previous dowsing near churches, is that the folks do not like plague victims buried near their dead.

The impression that I get, apart from the dreaded contamination, is that they see plague victims as unclean spiritually.
To have died in this way would be a curse by God.

Also, my impression is that a crossroad is a symbolic feature attributed to cleansing. I may be wrong, as I need to tread the path...LOL
George

You're quite right, George. Plague victims were buried in unconsecrated ground, in plague pits. Crossroads were seen as places of transition so those buried there could not find their way home to bother the living. it's why gallows were often set at crossroads and witches were buried there.
Lorraine

Postby chris » Thu May 07, 2009 7:42 pm

Hi Stephen,

I don't know if I can map dowse or not, but I'm having a go, I find the plague pit very near the crossroad of the roads Sansome St. Forgate St. and Shaw St.
Hope I might be in the right area.
regards, Chris A
chris

Postby stephen » Thu May 07, 2009 9:33 pm

hiya chris,

thanks for having a look, your results are mighty close to where i thought it was! have you any more info at all ? dates, numbers etc. your crossroads site confirms what george and lorraine were saying in earlier posts, thanks chris brilliant.

stephen
stephen

Postby chris » Wed May 13, 2009 6:20 pm

Hi Stephen,
Well I've had a go at dowsing the plague pit in worcester, I find it was dug between 1650 and 1660 and holds 2572 bodies, I'll be interested in other comments.

best regards, Chris A.
chris

Return to Archaeology