unique dowsing opportunity?

for matters relating to archaeological and historical dowsing.

unique dowsing opportunity?

Postby stephen » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:32 pm

hi,
i have recently been approached by a friend of mine who is also the area manager of an international quarrying corporation. it would seem that they plan to expand one of their warwickshire mineral extraction sites into neighboring fields, and as is their policy, they have invited the county archaeologist department along with their own archaeologist to perform a series of test trenches over an area of about 50 acres, to this end i have been invited to use one of my excavators for the task.

naturally i with be having a bit of a dowsing plod about first!, at last the crop is off and its nicely ploughed, if i do come upon anything interesting, i will attempt to suggest / steer them onto my finds. i have done work for this particular farmer before and i get on quite well with him, and am sure he wouldnt mind if anyone else feels inclined to take part in what i think is a unique opportunity.

stephen
stephen

Re: unique dowsing opportunity?

Postby Grahame Gardner » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:28 am

That's a very good opportunity indeed, Stephen. Do you have specific dates set for site visits yet?

You may also wish to inform John Baker, Chair of the archaeology SIG so that he can send out an email to members; not all of them access this forum so won't know otherwise. I'll PM you with his email details.
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
Grahame Gardner
Site Admin

Postby stephen » Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:23 pm

hi grahame,
i have no dates for the dig yet, but i think it will be within a month or so, which will give me ample time to have a good look around beforehand, as for the preliminary dowse, any evening and weekend to suit those interested.
i did think of getting in touch with sue brown of the arch' sig once i have hopefully had positive results from my/our dowsing, great suggestion if you think i should contact mr baker then i will.

stephen.
stephen

Postby stephen » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:07 pm

hi folks,
just a little update to my last, i went out to explore the field in question last sunday it had rained a bit overnight which made for heavy boots on the freshly ploughed field!. standing in the gateway i used just one of my l rods to get me in the right direction, so off i trudged it wasnt long before i spotted bits of pottery on the surface, on closer examination it seemed to be late medieval, i fine tuned my thoughts to exclude these and look for specifically roman goods, it wasnt long before i got a reading from my rods and had a little dig with the trowel and was rewarded with a few sherds of mortaria, yep definately roman!. plan to go back this weekend.

stephen
stephen

Postby Ian Pegler » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:45 am

Well done, stephen 8)

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Return to Archaeology