The trouble with Wikipedia

Ask a dowsing question, tell us your gossip, chat etc. here!

Re: The trouble with Wikipedia

Postby Ian Pegler » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:35 am

This looks like a relaunch of the old http://skepticalinvestigations.org/

In fact, if you follow the above url, it'll redirect you.

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby Grahame Gardner » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:10 pm

Ian Pegler wrote:This looks like a relaunch of the old http://skepticalinvestigations.org/

Yes it is a rehash of that one - they do say that on the site somewhere.
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
Grahame Gardner
Site Admin

Postby Ian Pegler » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:37 pm

Going down the list of "notable" dowsers on the wiki page, I note that there were only two that I'd ever heard of, namely T.C. Lethbridge and Geller.

I had to look up the rest. One is better known as a scientist and climate-change skeptic and three others apparently had some Nazi association (an obvious attempt to smear dowsing, by association). Out of the whole list, only two are still alive.

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby Grahame Gardner » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:07 am

Ian Pegler wrote:Going down the list of "notable" dowsers on the wiki page, I note that there were only two that I'd ever heard of, namely T.C. Lethbridge and Geller.

Leicester Gataker is fairly well known - he's mentioned in Barrett & Bestermans' The Divining Rod, and I believe Simon's grandfather(?) had a connection with him.

Joseph Smith Junior, founder of the Mormons, was taught to dowse by someone by the name of Winchell, who also taught Nathaniel Woods, leader of the 'rodsmen' aka 'New Israelites' religious group in Vermont around 1800. I didn't know that Smith's father, Joseph Smith Sr., cited in the Wiki article, was a dowser. but there is a reference to it on the Wiki page for Nerw Israelites. I suspect there is some historical confusion between father and son in this instance.
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
Grahame Gardner
Site Admin

Postby simonwheeler » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:16 am

Leicester Gataker is fairly well known - he's mentioned in Barrett & Bestermans' The Divining Rod, and I believe Simon's grandfather(?) had a connection with him

Great grandfather! Alfred Wills was his name. He and Gataker worked in a business partnership in and around Bath originally, then wider afield.

Click here for long article based on Alfred Wills' diaries, including stuff about him and Gataker.

Extract:
Mentioning Leicester Gataker brings me to the outstanding events of my business career.

It was in 1898 that I first met him, in business. He had started as a Professional Water Expert, and had some trouble with a small water supply, in a well, on Little Solsbury.

This old well, only required deepening two feet, but it was a most dangerous job, and no one would undertake it.

Against father’s advice, I took it on, and did the job myself. It makes me shudder today, when I realise the risk I took. The old sides were so rotten that they might have collapsed any moment, and the trouble I had made me almost throw up the sponge, but, I could never face defeat, kept on, and succeeded.

This laid the foundation of a lifelong friendship, and a business which materially helped to make the fortune of our family.
As we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

www.simongordonwheeler.co.uk

Simon
simonwheeler

Postby simonwheeler » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:27 am

Hundreds of “black hat” English Wikipedia accounts blocked following investigation

Full story is here
As we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

Simon
simonwheeler

Postby Ian Pegler » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:46 am

from the Daily Beast...

I Was Shaken Down by Wikipedia’s Blackmail Bandits

Dayramir Gonzalez faced threats if he didn’t pay up for edits to his Wikipedia page. Now, his scammer and 380 other blackhat editors have been banned for blackmail.

CLICK HERE for the article.

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby Grahame Gardner » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:36 pm

Here's a rather good blog on Huffington Post about the organised sceptical attacks on Wikipedia's page on Deepak Chopra:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ryan-cast ... 49394.html
Grahame
Grahame Gardner
Site Admin

Postby simonwheeler » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:22 pm

Nothing to with this Forum really, but a "Wikipedia experience" from an experienced professional journalist made me smile:
https://simonusborne.wordpress.com/2016/03/23/wanky-balls-mea-culpa/

Simon
simonwheeler

Postby Grahame Gardner » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:54 pm

Now you can't even tell if your Wikipedia page is being edited by a human:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/feb/23/wikipedia-bot-editing-war-study?CMP=share_btn_link
Grahame
Grahame Gardner
Site Admin

Postby Ian Pegler » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:21 pm

A skeptic editor of Wikipedia wants to merge the BSD page into the dowsing page because according to him the BSD is "not a notable organisation". Harrumph!! :evil:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Dowsing

< and scroll down to the bottom>

The Dowsing page is rubbish anyway. :twisted:

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby Geoff Stuttaford » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:36 am

I wonder whether it would be possible to obtain this chap’s definition of the word “notable” ?
Geoff

Those friends thou hast, and their adoption tried, grapple them to thy soul with hoops of steel (Polonius)
Geoff Stuttaford

Postby simonwheeler » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:53 am

If it's not a not able organisation it must be an able one. #doublenegative. :lol: :twisted: :oops:

Simon
simonwheeler

Previous

Return to General