The trouble with Wikipedia

Ask a dowsing question, tell us your gossip, chat etc. here!

Re: The trouble with Wikipedia

Postby Ian Pegler » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:21 am

More pseudo-skeptical diatribes...

With access to the total sum of human knowledge through the Internet, you would be forgiven for thinking the Internet would be ushering in a new age of enlightenment. However, the openness of the Internet has provided an unearned level playing field for purveyors of misinformation and deceit to reach larger audiences than ever before.

(from the JREF site)

One or two points:

Things like democracy, freedom of thought and expression, all those values which we hold so dear require a level playing field. King Arthur's Round Table is symbolic of the level playing field, perhaps explaining why the Arthurian legends are so popular the world over. Everyone deserves a platform, a voice, a right to be heard - it's not something you have to earn.

It is dissappointing to learn (as if we didn't already know) that these groups don't care about such fundamental principles and are now so brazen that they are prepared to state it publicly (I could point so one or two other instances, not just the above).

The playing field is already uneven in any case, even on the Internet. Just because someone has a different take on things does not make them a "purveyors of misinformation and deceit".

Good grief.

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby Ian Pegler » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:37 am

from the BBC...

Topics that spark Wikipedia 'edit wars' revealed

Articles about ex-US President George W Bush and anarchism are the most hotly contested on Wikipedia's English-language edition, research suggests.

CLICK HERE to read the article.

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

The Wikipedia Battle for Rupert Sheldrake's Biography

Postby Ian Pegler » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:04 am

from realitysandwich.com...

Craig Weiler wrote:As dreary as the task was, I delved into Rupert Sheldrake's bio on Wikipedia and started
examining the sources for just one statement from this totally over the top biased paragraph
with six accusations and 18 citations...

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Re: The Wikipedia Battle for Rupert Sheldrake's Biography

Postby Grahame Gardner » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:50 am

Excellent article Ian, thanks for posting.
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
Grahame Gardner
Site Admin

Postby Ian Pegler » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:49 am

from the BBC...

Wikipedia probe into paid-for 'sockpuppet' entries

Wikipedia editors have expressed "shock and dismay" at the discovery of hundreds of user accounts set up to make paid-for entries.

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby Ian Pegler » Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:37 pm

from MIT Technology Review...

The Decline of Wikipedia

The sixth most widely used website in the world is not run anything like the others in the top 10. It is not operated by a sophisticated corporation but by a leaderless collection of volunteers who generally work under pseudonyms and habitually bicker with each other. It rarely tries new things in the hope of luring visitors; in fact, it has changed little in a decade.

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby Ian Pegler » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:10 am

Rupert Sheldrake went on to the BBC World Service recently to discuss his thoughts on Guerilla Skepticism on Wikipedia...

CLICK HERE for the audio report.

Here's Sheldrake's blog on Wikipedia.

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby Ian Pegler » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:08 pm

from the Daily Grail...

Maverick Biologist Rupert Sheldrake Criticizes Attacks by 'Guerilla Skeptics' on Wikipedia

I've mentioned previously how unreliable Wikipedia can be when it comes to entries on fringe topics or personalities (such as the famous trance medium Leonora Piper), as a result of heavy-handed editing by self-proclaimed 'skeptics'. Now Rupert Sheldrake, who this year had his TED talk controversially removed from YouTube for allegedly being 'unscientific', has commented on how his own Wikipedia entry has been the subject of attention by a team of so-called 'guerilla skeptics', intent on portraying him in a certain (negative) way...

CLICK HERE to read the article...

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Re: The Wikipedia Battle for Rupert Sheldrake's Biography

Postby Helen-Healing » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:10 am

Yes, excellent link, Ian.

I loved this person's comment...
Sounds like wikipedia is making a transit into Uranus.

:lol:
Helen-Healing

Postby Ian Pegler » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:57 am

from Activist Post.com...

Yes, There Are Paid Government Trolls On Social Media, Blogs, Forums And Websites

Do you want solid proof that paid government shills are targeting websites, blogs, forums and social media accounts? For years, many have suspected that government trolls have been systematically causing havoc all over the Internet, but proving it has been difficult. But now thanks to documents leaked by Edward Snowden and revealed by Glenn Greenwald, we finally have hard evidence that western governments have been doing this.

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby Helen-Healing » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:11 am

I'm afraid I just don't buy this, Ian.
That website just sounds like a ranting conspiracy-theory one to me, the way it expresses itself.
The British govt doesn't need to hire anyone to control blogs & forums to manipulate public opinion - it has its daily newspapers to do that, quite efficiently.

Britain govt couldn't organise a piss-up in a brewery - I don't know about the US.
They can't even get official websites to work properly, and spend a shedload of money accomplishing this.
"The integrity of the internet?" I didn't know it had any!! Everyone - but everyone! - should take anything they read on the internet with a pinch of salt!!

:roll:
Helen-Healing

Postby Ian Pegler » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:53 am

Helen-Healing wrote:I'm afraid I just don't buy this, Ian.
That website just sounds like a ranting conspiracy-theory one to me, the way it expresses itself.
The British govt doesn't need to hire anyone to control blogs & forums to manipulate public opinion - it has its daily newspapers to do that, quite efficiently.

Britain govt couldn't organise a piss-up in a brewery - I don't know about the US.
They can't even get official websites to work properly, and spend a shedload of money accomplishing this.
"The integrity of the internet?" I didn't know it had any!! Everyone - but everyone! - should take anything they read on the internet with a pinch of salt!!

Sure you're not a government agent? :lol:

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby simonwheeler » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:19 pm

Ian Pegler wrote:
Helen-Healing wrote:I'm afraid I just don't buy this, Ian.

Sure you're not a government agent? :lol:

Ian

Whatever the reply- don't trust it....

Sssshhhhhhhhh
As we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

www.simongordonwheeler.co.uk

Simon
simonwheeler

Postby Ian Pegler » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:16 am

from Reality Sandwich...

Deepak Chopra Calls Out Wikipedia over Death Threat

Deepak Chopra calls out Wikipedia on Twitter over a "death threat" on the bio page of Ralph Abraham, the visionary mathematician.

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby ledgehammer » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:02 pm

Reminds me of a conversation with Duncan Lunan,

some of the information on his page about him is not very accurate, when approaching the admin he has remained unable to change it….

ridiculous, and surely there is a legitimate issue going on here - and probably a legal one

best

Tom
The universe is a soul, trying to understand itself.... We each have the power to look inward at its immense beauty....
ledgehammer

PreviousNext

Return to General