St. George. Champion of the chalklands !?.

Ask a dowsing question, tell us your gossip, chat etc. here!

St. George. Champion of the chalklands !?.

Postby Gray » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:02 pm

Hi all, during my post of 17th of October I had reason to mention St. George and the dragon once or twice. Curiosity got the better of me and I ventured to try to discover some details from his life. Not so much his real life but more about the symbolic representations conferred upon him, his horse, his emblems and the machinations of the so called naughty dragon. Neither the real nor the legendary St. George ever set foot upon English soil. Both agree that George was born in Cappadocia, (Eastern Turkey) circa 280 A.D. George was a senior soldier in the Roman army of Diocletian, later to become a bishop of dubious integrity. He was martyred in Lydda Palestine about the beginning of the 4th century A.D. Hundreds of years later his icon and in his new role as dragon slayer / enemy of the pagans was installed into English history by the Church of Rome. In 1222, 23 years after the death of The Lionheart, In the reign of young Henry III. The Council of Oxford's meeting at Osney Abbey in 1344 fixed St. Georges day as 23rd of April . He was invested as Englands patron saint in 1349 taking the job vacated by St. Edward, (The confessor), who was relegated to "patron saint of difficult marriages". ( Dragon jokes welcome) St. George was was demoted from the Calender of Saints by the pope in 1968/9.
The earliest churches that I can find dedicated to St. George are what was the Coptic church of St. George in Cairo, Egypt. Built in the 10th century. The rebuilt Church and monastery of St.George still exists on the same site, built from limestone sourced three miles away from the limestone plateau of Giza near to the limestone Great Pyramid. The earliest dedication of St. George pledged to an English church that I can find Is the 11th century Church of St. George at Fordington in Dorset.
The first vicar being Roberte de Dorsetre in 1222.
So to modern times and it seems that the icon of St.George has evolved to mostly represent the role of journeyman of the chalklands. His historical emblems. Slayer of the dragon (Paganism/Earth energies).White Horse( the chalklands.) The sword (the cross?.) The maiden (Innocence/purity) Shield (the sun). The lance (pinning/disabling the dragon/ Paganism) The earliest paintings/images of St. George seldom include his banner. That leaves me with a few anecdotes of a chalky nature, picked up along the way. A popular story about a dragon, who occasionally popped into the village to snack on the locals. The dragon loved to eat people because they are not covered in wool, which annoyingly got stuck in his teeth. One day St.George was riding by his cave and yelled at him "Silly dragon,don't you know by now that you're not supposed to eat people". After a bit of a scrap he dragged the chastened dragon back to the village where they converted him to Christianity. Then they all went off to the "George and dragon" for a few beers....... The UK gateway for the Belinus line comes ashore at Sandown on the Isle of Wight. it crosses over the chalklands of the Brading Downs, nudging St. Georges Down and over the neck of the dragon, crossing the Solent and bumps into it's counterpart of St. George and the dragon fame at Uffington, on the mainland, before continuing It's journey to the North sea....... The leys and the flowing underground waters (aquifers) of the Wiltshire basin are one of the worlds best natural conductors of electricity...... Just In case you think I'm the limestone cowboy I have just discovered a village in Herefordshire. In the thirteenth century they built a church on the spot where a knight called St. George slayed the dragon. It's built from red sandstone. The dragon lived in the well in the ducks field. Possibly (Duxfield) Dux/ Roman commander built his villa/camp. It abides in the Parish of Brinsop & WORMSLEY. Most Roman villas seem to be adjacent to a ley ?.......Silbury Hill. Chalk, The highest man made mound in Europe......The chalklands of St Georges Golf Club, Broadstairs in Kent UK .Held the open championship in 2011 and will hold it again in 2020. A good place to gather St. Georges mushrooms, delicious and common in chalk rich areas. Swill them down with a glass of Nuit-St.-George from the chalk rich fields of Burgundy......... Coincidentally there was a musical for children on 25th of October 2017. It was held in the chalky city of Bristol UK. It is about a worm called Elgar and his friends, a serpent an ostrich and a toad. It was at the St Georges theatre...... For grown ups there will always be the Sir Edward Elgar's version at the " the Proms" at The Albert Hall in London. Called the" Banner of St George. I think it ends with "He comes from the misty ages/ The banner of England's might/ The blood red cross of the brave/ St. George/ That burns on a field of white"......So I'm presuming that when Christianity finally subdued Paganism and it's deities, that the icon of St.George was bequeathed the responsibilities of the chalklands and everything that flowed in and out. Natural, subtle and spiritual. Be obliged for your two penn'orth. Cheers Gray.
Gray

Return to General