Does anyone have old journals please?!

Ask a dowsing question, tell us your gossip, chat etc. here!

Does anyone have old journals please?!

Postby d0w5er » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:20 am

Hi Everyone,

I am making a request to anyone who has any editions of the Society's journals prior to 1964, extending back to 1933.

For a while now, with the assistance of the Society, I have been digitising the Society's Journals.
In time, these digitised versions will be made available to members via the Society's website.

Starting with Dowsing Today I have now scanned my way back to 1964, but now there's a snag.
At present, there appears to be no more Journals held in the Society's store.
Therefore I thought it worthwhile making the following appeal to members on this forum.

Do any of you have:
copies prior to Number 124 - June 1964,
and also
Numbers 207 and 208 of (I think) Vol 30 (around 1983/4)

which I might be able to temporarily borrow?

Now, I found the following post on this 'General' section of the forum:

Postby Suzi » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:24 pm
I have recently aquired a series of the Journal of the British society of dowsers...12 volumes from 1933 to
Does the society have these?
If not You are welcome to them free.
Kevin

In the thread, Ian Pegler states that he has informed the BSD Office, but it is not clear what became of the Journals.

I'm obviously keen to find out!

Thanks in advanced,
Nick Haywood
d0w5er

Re: Does anyone have old journals please?!

Postby Grahame Gardner » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:49 pm

Nick, the society should have bound copies of all the old journals going right back to the start. We certainly had when we were in Hanley Swan; and I remember scanning the first one, which had Col. Bell's handwritten margin notes. If they've been chucked out I shall be very cross - that was a priceless archive.
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
Grahame Gardner
Site Admin

Postby d0w5er » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:56 pm

Hi Grahame, thanks for your reply. Yes, I had assumed that the Society would have a complete bound collection.

A lot of the Society's possessions now appear to be in store. Our Office Manager, Fay, has looked in the store, but so far failed to find Journals earlier than 1964.
Of course, they may be there, hidden in some dark undiscovered corner, but she's busy with Conference right now. Therefore, I thought I'd do my part and see what I can find elsewhere.

From my point of view, I don't mind where they come from. If I have to, I'll go to the British Library and copy their collection.
The important thing is to completely digitise the Society's "crown jewels" for the benefit of a wider audiance and for a posterity.

So if anyone does have Journals in any format, I'd still be interested to hear from them.

Cheers,
Nick
d0w5er

Postby Ian Pegler » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:10 am

The original thread dates to 2013 !!!!!

I contacted Peter Farrall and put him in contact with Kevin. As far as I know, the BSD had these journals for the archive, not the shop.

I keep getting e-mailed about this, isn't it time Kevin's original post was archived?

Here it is: (thread archived so link deleted = GG)

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby Grahame Gardner » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:34 am

Ian Pegler wrote: isn't it time Kevin's original post was archived? 3

Yes, it probably is time that thread was archived. I'm not even sure that Kevin is still a member of the forum, he hasn't posted for ages.
Nick, it might be worth you sending Kevin a PM or an email to enquire if he still has those journals? You may not get a reply but it's worth a shot before I archive the thread.
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
Grahame Gardner
Site Admin

Postby d0w5er » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:46 am

Hi Grahame,

I've already emailed Kevin, but still waiting on a reply.

All sounds promising.

Many thanks,
Nick
d0w5er

Postby Grahame Gardner » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:13 am

OK, fingers crossed! I've now archived the old thread.
Grahame
Grahame Gardner
Site Admin

Return to General