King Arthur Ruled from Shropshire ?

Ask a dowsing question, tell us your gossip, chat etc. here!

King Arthur Ruled from Shropshire ?

Postby Geoff Stuttaford » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:18 am

See http://www.megalithic.co.uk/article.php?sid=2146412194

Dowsing gets that he ruled from Herefordshire
Geoff

Those friends thou hast, and their adoption tried, grapple them to thy soul with hoops of steel (Polonius)
Geoff Stuttaford

Re: King Arthur Ruled from Shropshire ?

Postby Ian Pegler » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:14 pm

This article dates from 2005 !!! - loads of comments at the bottom. It doesn't give a link to the newspaper item in question, but the information given pertains to Phillips' and Keatman's book King Arthur, The True Story, plus a leaflet and website information produced by them for the Shropshire tourist board.

The information on the Shropshire tourist board web-page refers to them as "Perfectly sane academics" - which is good to know. :|

Not sure it tells us much about King Arthur though..!

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby Ian Pegler » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:23 pm

I have recently been reading a copy of Scott Lloyd's MPhil dissertation held at the NLW, which contains a gazetteer of all place-names in Wales connected with the name of King Arthur and the date they appeared in the historical record. He notes that the Marcher lords, particularly the Mortimers, had a continuing interest in King Arthur. Here's a brief quote from p.88:

Scott Lloyd wrote:"A continued interest in the Arthurian legend in the [Marcher] area can be seen in manuscripts associated with the Mortimer family centred on their properties at Wigmore and Ludlow.
Of the ten identifiable sites in the Gazetteer from 1250 to 1400 eight are found in lands controlled by the Marcher Lords."

This still leaves a lot to interpretation though - why would they be interested?

Wigmore castle (which is on the Sun-line) is a ruin but worth a visit if you don't mind climbing some steep stone stairs.

Here's a view from the top, looking back down towards St. James' church:

I dowsed the energy line actually at the top of the castle, going in the direction of the church. I love the way the ridge has this serpent-like quality.

Ludlow castle looks interesting too, although I haven't been there yet. Note the round chapel !

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby Grahame Gardner » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:20 pm

A new theory suggests that Arthur was actually based near Huddersfield.
The Independent wrote:A retired professor claims he has finally discovered the location of King Arthur’s legendary Camelot – on the outskirts of Huddersfield.

The location of the castle has been the subject of thousands of years of rumour and speculation. Even the existence of the famous King is heavily disputed.

Now, though, Professor Peter Field, an expert in literature on the mythical Arthur, has claimed the location of Camelot was a small Roman fort at Slack, to the west of Huddersfield in West Yorkshire.

FULL STORY HERE

I smell a book deal coming on.... :lol:
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
Grahame Gardner
Site Admin

Postby Geoff Stuttaford » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:43 pm

Some years ago I regressed a friend of mine who told me that she had had an incarnation as Guinevere. She told me that she had had two children by Arthur and a further two by Lancelot. (she got lonely apparently and Lancelot was available as a “protector”……..) She also said that Arthur was based in Herefordshire in a village between Hereford and Ross on Wye but was away an awful lot, fighting battles. So it is possible that he could have been in Shropshire and in the Huddersfield are but not based there. When I asked if Arthur was a King, she said “no, only a leader of men”.
Geoff

Those friends thou hast, and their adoption tried, grapple them to thy soul with hoops of steel (Polonius)
Geoff Stuttaford

Postby Geoff Stuttaford » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:27 pm

.............also, that Arthur was conceived at Tintagel but not born there.
Geoff

Geoff Stuttaford

Postby mike » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:09 pm

I have never been to Tintagel Castle but dowsing on Google Earth its a very interesting place, with Leys from the north east and north west, giving the Castle an anti clockwise influence within its walls there.No Sacred Site but it has energy from each Ley and must carry a lot of influence for good, and while not the all powerful Sacred Site, still an influence for good and marked out as special.
mike

Return to General