Astronomy professor suggests zodiac signs are wrong

Ask a dowsing question, tell us your gossip, chat etc. here!

Postby Ian Pegler » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:24 pm

A Minneapolis astronomy professor has suggested that the zodiac system, based on "2,000-year-old information", is all wrong.

CLICK HERE to view the report.

(here we go again...)

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Re: Astronomy professor suggests zodiac signs are wrong

Postby simonwheeler » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:44 pm

There's lately been a lot of talk about 'new dates' for the zodiac signs and even a 'new sign'. This, though, is nothing 'new'. It's the same old nonsense that gets trotted out every 20 years or so by astronomers who think the twelve signs of the zodiac must be the same as the 12 constellations (or star groups). Actually, they're not and may never have been - although once they correlated more closely. 'Aha,' they think, 'Astrologers must be too stupid to notice this.' So without doing any more research, they issue a press release or write a book.

...from J. Cainer's site...which can be found by clicking here.

Edited by I.P. 11.1.13 - changed link to permanent link containing the above quote
As we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

www.simongordonwheeler.co.uk

Simon
simonwheeler

Postby Bonnie » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:26 pm

Yes, this is just the old tropical vs. sidereal zodiac chestnut, which gets resurrected from time-to-time. It went viral on Facebook last week, hence the furor. The astronomer who made the claims has since retracted/clarified his statements, in any case. For those who want to read more about the subject, here is an excellent piece. Another excellent resource can be found here.
Bonnie

Postby Ian Pegler » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:37 pm

You don't have to wait 20 years though. This is exactly the same argument that was put forward by Richard Dawkins on his Enemies of Reason show, which was neatly debunked by astrologers like Chris Brennan.

Hey ho, same old single.

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby simonwheeler » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:58 pm

excellent and useful references/links from both Bonnie & Ian. Thanks.
(can you guess my sun sign??!!)
As we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

Simon
simonwheeler

Postby Ian Pegler » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:59 pm

Bonnie wrote:The astronomer who made the claims has since retracted/clarified his statements, in any case.

I'll bet that didn't "go viral".

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby Ian Pegler » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:08 am

Whilst we're on the subject of skepticism, take a look at this footage.

:lol: :oops:

Truly cringe-making. This is what passes for science in skeptical circles. Watching Mr. Saunders fawn, name-drop and milk the applause is bad enough, but that test - dear oh dear. I feel sorry for those poor little Australian kids. Note the moment of unprepared humour part way through. :lol:

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby Bonnie » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:08 pm

Ian Pegler wrote:
Bonnie wrote:The astronomer who made the claims has since retracted/clarified his statements, in any case.

I'll bet that didn't "go viral".

You're quite right, it didn't! :lol: The backtracking was included as a paragraph buried in the center or toward the end of a few articles whose headlines referenced the original wrong idea.

Oh, that video! Cringe-making, indeed. I find it so odd that anyone - especially a scientist - would choose to self-identify as a "skeptic." How great would my credibility be if I gave lectures with the word "believer" tacked to the lectern? Yet the same kind of blanket labeling ("skeptic," selling the bearer's global rigidity as a badge of honor) is used to promote a hands-off approach to inquiry that is actually the opposite of critical thinking. For that to be identified with science in any way, shape or form is a real travesty. It's very disheartening when children, especially, are exposed to this level of ignorance.
Bonnie

Postby Ian Pegler » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:03 am

This is much better... :mrgreen:

CLICK HERE (youtube link)

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby simonwheeler » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:12 am

"A victory for science"- quite right. But a video not for the faint-hearted.

Simon
simonwheeler

Postby Bonnie » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:12 pm

Ian Pegler wrote:This is much better... :mrgreen:

Ah, yes, those Muppets are much easier on the sensibilities! :lol:
Bonnie

Postby Ian Pegler » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:03 pm

Please spread the word...

The Astrological Association has launched a petition against "unfair representation of astrology" on the BBC:

AA Petition – Submit your name now if you wish to lend your support to address the unfair representation of astrology to the BBC
The Association is at present collecting the names and email address of all who wish make known their objections to the misrepresentation of astrology by astronomers specific to the BBC Programme Wonders of the Solar System . Please click on the submit button if you would like your name added to the petition.

The Association will be requesting that the BBC make a public apology and a statement that they do not support the personal views of Professor Brian Cox or Dara O’Briains on the subject of astrology. We also request that the BBC will commit to making a fair and balanced representation of astrology when aired in the future.

CLICK HERE for more information.

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby Ian Pegler » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:09 pm

More information from the Astrological Association...

Misrepresentation of Astrology

Recently a group of astronomers in Minnesota, USA have received much publicity by announcing that many people have different Sun Signs and other planetary positions due to the precession of the equinoxes. Below is a brief explanation of the main facts that show astrologers have always known this information and how they use it.

CLICK HERE for more information.

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby Helen-Healing » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:05 am

The Astrological Association has launched a petition against "unfair representation of astrology" on the BBC
AA Petition – Submit your name now if you wish to lend your support to address the unfair representation of astrology to the BBC

Yes, but it seems you have to belong to the AA! It wouldn't accept my email adddress anyway! :|
Helen-Healing

Postby Ian Pegler » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:10 pm

Helen-Healing wrote:Yes, but it seems you have to belong to the AA! It wouldn't accept my email adddress anyway! :|

I had no problems, I'm not a member either.

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Next

Return to General