Dowsing in "Herge's Adventures of Tintin"

Ask a dowsing question, tell us your gossip, chat etc. here!

Re: Dowsing in "Herge's Adventures of Tintin"

Postby Ian Pegler » Fri May 15, 2015 4:36 pm

My article about Victor Mertens, entitled "Tintin's dowser" has appeared in Dowsing Today, April 2015.

Russell Crowe on the front cover!

8)

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby Ian Pegler » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:39 pm

A short passage from Mertens' book, translated by me:

Victor Mertens wrote:"Of all the instruments used in dowsing, the pendulum is undoubtedly the most
useful, the most accurate. Any mass attached to the end of a string, or a small chain, is a pendulum."

This suggests that the pendulum was Mertens' own dowsing weapon of choice. There is an illustration of the
author's pendulum, showing it to be a small sphere on a chain - not so very different from Calculus's own.

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby Ian Pegler » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:37 am

An academic thesis on the representation of the paranormal in the Adventures of Tintin (French language)

CLICK HERE for the PDF.

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby Ian Pegler » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:34 am

I recently bought a first edition copy of Mertens' Radiesthesie book. It dates to 1940 at the earliest (not 1939 - the date under the dedication is 6th of October 1940)

The other surprise is that it contains the letter from Herge to Mertens, which means that Herge knew of Mertens prior to the publication of the book.

So how did Herge learn about this dowser? Clearly NOT from the book!

There are of course any number of possibilities, but one stands out:

Mertens spoke at an International Congress on Radiesthesia at Liege in July 1939.

Might Herge have attended the Congress at Liege? Might he even have joined a dowsing society?

Herge's letter to Mertens was dated 23rd of October 1939 - about 3 months after the International Congress at Liege.

Questions, questions - I'm in the wrong country to be researching them, I think.

Herge knew an astrophysicist at Liege - Armand Delsemme. Possible connection?

P.S. Just noticed that the book has a stamp on the inside. It appear that it came from the Geology library at the Facutly of Sciences at the University of Rennes!

Ian
Last edited by Ian Pegler on Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby Ian Pegler » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:16 am

Ian Pegler wrote:I recently bought a first edition copy of Mertens' Radiesthesie book. It dates to 1940 at the earliest (not 1939 - the date under the dedication is 6th of October 1940)

The last letter of commendation at the back of the book is dated 23rd of December 1940. The book must have been published in 1941.

The book has sections on dowsing harmful energies, medical and vetenary dowsing as well as dowsing for agriculture and plants, also a bit about homing-pidgeons!

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby Ian Pegler » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:48 pm

Quote from the Victor Mertens dowsing book:

Victor Mertens wrote:"C'est peut-etre mon plus beau titre de glorie que d'avoir pu soulager quelque peu les atroces misères engendrées par une guerre cruelle"

rough translation:

"This is perhaps my greatest claim to Glory that to be able to relieve some of the terrible miseries caused by a cruel war"

He was writing in Nazi-occupied Belgium, of course.In spite of the difficulies, he was able to bring out a second edition two years later, the first edition having completely sold out.
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby Ian Pegler » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:31 am

Found this in the Victor Mertens book:

Victor Mertens wrote:"Les qualités d'un pigeon voyageur peuvent etre relevees au pendule; il suffit de rechercher son champ magnetique direct d'action, soit sur une regle lineaire, soit de toute autre facon, a l'aide d'un disque gradue ou le long d'un fil d'antenne horizontal."

rough translation:

"The qualities of a pigeon can be raised to the pendulum; just look for its direct magnetic field of action, either on a linear rule, or in any other way, using a graduated disc or along a horizontal wire antenna."

(dates to circa 1941)

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby Ian Pegler » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:02 pm

A new version 2 of my "Tintin's dowser" article is avaiable to download from my website as a PDF.

The article concerns the use of dowsing in Herge's Tintin cartoons and the real-life dowser behind it.

The direct link is HERE

Ian

[modified link because for some reason I can't delete my own posts!]
Last edited by Ian Pegler on Sat May 28, 2016 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby Ian Pegler » Sun May 01, 2016 3:53 pm

IMDB entry for the next big Hollywood Tintin movie: Prisoners of the Sun to be directed by Peter Jackson.

IMDB link HERE

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby Ian Pegler » Tue May 03, 2016 5:42 am

Ian Pegler wrote:IMDB entry for the next big Hollywood Tintin movie: Prisoners of the Sun to be directed by Peter Jackson.

IMDB link HERE

Ian

According to one source, apparently quoting Anthony Horowitz, the whole project has "vanished".

"Tintin has vanished, I don’t know if it’s being made or not, but I would say 100 percent it is not being made with my involvement,".

from HERE.

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby Ian Pegler » Sat May 28, 2016 6:34 am

I've uploaded a version 3 of my "Tintin's Dowser" article, with a little bit more background on
Mertens, and more on the Dutch version of his book.

Link to PDF file HERE

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby Ian Pegler » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:47 am

Just discovered that there is a Spanish translation of the Victor Mertens dowsing book. So it was available in at least three different languages.!

http://www.worldcat.org/title/radiestes ... /432634280

The Spanish translation of the Victor Mertens book contains the following text:

"VICTOR MERTENS
INGENIERO

Presidente de la Federación belgo-luxemburguesa de Asociaciones de Radiestesistas. - Caballero de la Orden de la Corona, y de la Orden de Leopoldo II, de Bélgica."

Google translates this as:

"VICTOR MERTENS
ENGINEER

President of the Belgo-Luxembourg Federation of dowsers. - Knight of the Order of the Crown and the Order of Leopold II of Belgium."
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby Ian Pegler » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:56 am

Here is the Wikipedia page on Leopold II of Belgium - not a very nice man at all.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leopold_II_of_Belgium

There is a possible link with Herge here, because the identity of Herge's grandfather was unknown. There was a rumour that Herge had an aristocratic ancestor and this was speculated to have been Leopold II himself, who was known to have had illegitimate offspring.

Think I'm right in saying that one of Mertens' friends dowsed for diamonds and precious metals in the Belgian Congo.

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby Ian Pegler » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:17 am

The associate in question was Georges Discry, who refers to his:

Georges Discry wrote:"Recherches d'Or et de Diamants au Congo Belge, en Australie, pour compte de différentes Sociétés."

which may be translated as:

Georges Discry wrote:"Dowsing of Gold and Diamonds in the Belgian Congo, Australia, on behalf of various companies."

I am left wondering what Victor Mertens did to earn his honours?

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby Ian Pegler » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:39 am

Quote from Wikipedia:

Wikipedia, Land of Black Gold page wrote:The story [Land of Black Gold] was commissioned by the conservative Belgian newspaper Le Vingtième Siècle for its children's supplement Le Petit Vingtième, in which it was initially serialised from September 1939 until the German invasion of Belgium in May 1940, at which the newspaper was shut down and the story interrupted.

Herge's letter to Mertens dates to 23rd of October 1939, coinciding with the period of the creation of "Land of Black Gold". So the appearance of Tintin dowsing in the original Le Petit Vingtième version of Land of Black Gold is the earlest appearance of dowsing in the Adventures of Tintin. Professor Calculus doesn't appear until Red Rackham's Treasure, originally serialised in Le Soir from February to September, 1943.

So Tintin was the original dowser, not Prof. Calculus.

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

PreviousNext

Return to General