How did you discover dowsing?

Ask a dowsing question, tell us your gossip, chat etc. here!

Re: How did you discover dowsing?

Postby Got a few questions » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:33 pm

I just "knew" that a certain kidnapped girl had been murdered. I was proved right. But didn't want to develop that "just knew" and started working with a pendulum instead after googling and landing up at this forum.
Got a few questions

Postby Julie » Mon May 24, 2010 12:38 pm

I'm just starting to learn about it. Tried a few times in the past, but I guess without enough conviction.
I have bought a few books - they vary quite a lot in approaches, and 2 pendulums. Am trying to work through the steps and exercises, but they vary so much from book to book so I'll have to try and get onto a beginners course soon.
Julie

Postby BryanR » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:49 pm

I've always been interested in things "off the norm." As a kid I have a memory of reading about pendulum work and immediately making one to give it a try. If memory serves, I used it for a few yes/no questions and thought it was cool. Then, as kids do, I became distracted and moved onto something else. ;)

Decades later, I stumbled onto it one morning while reading blog posts and decided to give it another go. I made a quick pendulum out of some string and an amber bead and got some immediate success when I helped my wife recover a missing bit of mail she was searching for. From there, I just started incorporating it into my daily life.
BryanR

Postby cursong » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:05 am

Discovered dowsing by what can only be described as an "epiphany" in boscastle and the recent passing of a much loved uncle. Me and my wife, nicola, were on holiday in cornwall and visited the boscastle witchcraft museum. This was our 2nd visit and i spent much more time reading the exhibits this year and was very interested in the section devoted to the "green man", labyrinths and divining.

In the museum i noticed a pair of L-rods and just picked them up without knowing what i was really doing and had a play. This was the first time i had ever done anything like this, my wife however had always believed in the paranormal/psychic side of life, i however had always been a sceptic.

On leaving the museum i felt different inside and this feeling has stayed with me ever since. It's as if my head is not attached to my body, and i'm looking at things from a different perspective.

After 3 weeks of this weirdness i decided to tell my wife, who just laughed and said she had noticed a change and would get her friend round to talk to me. Her friend is a local psychic/spiritualist who is well respected in the area. As we were discussing what i was feeling she told me that I should do something i felt comfortable with and see what happens. Once i started researching tarot, scrying, divination etc. i was always drawn back to dowsing so I purchased a small wooden dowsing rod/wand of the internet and just started asking questions.

I'm still a little uncomfortable with people knowing i'm a dowser, in my parental family things like this are rubbish and all fake, however I certainly now feel this is not the case. When i dowse the energy that i can feel is different from anything i ever felt before.

I really hope to take this further and maybe develop other areas of my psychic/spiritual ability. Dowsing is a skill i have got and want to use in the future. Ancient and sacred sites hold an interest for me as well as earth energies, these are areas I would love to pursue in the future.
cursong

Postby Bonnie » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:58 pm

Sounds like your life's taken a fascinating new turn. This forum will be immensely helpful and enjoyable to you, I feel sure. It can be very unsettling when unusual experiences happen and you've no one to discuss them with, so it's wonderful that your wife is attuned and has likeminded friends, and that you've found your way to the BSD.
Bonnie

Postby Davie » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:16 pm

We were having problems with the water supply at our house and were considering having a new water supply installed. An elderly man who resides in our area is a dowser and he came round to dowse the field around our house. I knew him personally from other areas of life and he could see that I was taking a keen interest in what he was about to do. He arrived with a variety of wooden branches and asked if I wanted a shot.

Well I didn't need to be asked twice. He showed me how to hold one of the y shaped branches, told me to clear my mind, to think of water and then start walking out into the field. After a short while the branch suddenly went from horizontal to vertical which gave me a bit of a buzz. I was even more excited when the man confirmed that I had walked over and indicated a water course.

In my ignorance I had always thought that dowsing for water had something to do with a branch or twig being drawn back to the ground where the roots came from but now I obviously know different. He gave me a book which I read and that planted a seed to what may be possible.

From that I have only really used the branch to find things that have been hidden by other people and have managed to find the item on just about every occasion. This leads me to believe that I should be doing something more practical. I have also used a pendulum during psychic awareness classes but once again I do not feel that I have scratched the surface of what is possible.

I purchased a set of L rods but would have to say that at the moment I am most comfortable using a y shaped branch from a bush that was growing in my garden

Hopefully joining this site will give some inspiration to develop.

Davie
Davie

Postby Bonnie » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:00 pm

Davie, how wonderful that you were taught hands-on by a seasoned dowser! Your experiences with finding lost items are intriguing and make me wonder if you have an interest in "forensic dowsing" related to missing persons. I think you're right, so much is possible with dowsing and we've just scratched the surface.
Bonnie

Postby Davie » Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:01 am

Bonnie wrote:Davie, how wonderful that you were taught hands-on by a seasoned dowser! Your experiences with finding lost items are intriguing and make me wonder if you have an interest in "forensic dowsing" related to missing persons.

Oh Bonnie, if only you knew what my "day job" was. I now know that you definately have psychic abilities 8) .

Davie
Davie

Postby Bonnie » Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:23 am

Are you in law enforcement, perchance? Not wanting to pry, just intrigued!
Bonnie

Postby Davie » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:13 pm

Bonnie, your intuition is exemplary!

Davie
Davie

Postby Bonnie » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:50 pm

I think it's great that you have dowsing as a working tool, Davie. Its possibilities in law enforcement strike me as especially worthwhile, and I wish you the best in your work. (If we had a smilie for clinking glasses, I'd insert it here.)
Bonnie

Postby christine » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:59 pm

Hello Everybody,

I'm new here, and just got done reading your posts on this thread. How different and interesting they all were!
Here goes mine: I was having marital difficulties 25 years ago, and was living in Student Family Housing at the University of California at Davis. (Davis is a town in California). There was this very friendly Chinese lady named Lillie, whose house I was at one day. She invited me over so I could show her how to make bread. At the time, bread was not something readily available in her country. She asked me if I was going to have anymore children, and I said, "I don't know." She said, I can help you find out." "Oh reaaaaaaally? Ok," I said.

She got out a piece of string and attached it to the head of a pin! She asked me to hold out my palm and she held it over my palm. It started to go around in a circle, then the other way, then back. She said, "You are not going to have anymore children." 25 years later, she was right.

I forgot about that experience for years, because of having so many problems at the time in my life. Soon after that, my husband and I were divorced.

10 years later, was having more difficulty in another area of life, can't remember just what at the moment. But I thought of Lillie and that experience, so wanted to try it myself. I couldn't get results from a pin so decided to go to something heavier, a key on a string. That worked fine and I got an answer, though it wasn't what I wanted to hear, but turned out right on!

From there I decided to experiment with anything that would get me some answers, cards, astrology. Next I tried the Ouija board, and really got taken on a wild goose chase. The first thing that happened was, when working the planchette, it took off like it was being dragged all over by some unseen, not very nice, force. The cussing and swearing I was not used to, calling me names and whatnot. That gave me some fright, but stuck with it and told whoever it was to take a hike. I did get some right answers to questions, but it seemed like people on the other side were using me for laughs. I also was getting depressed, and so put the board away up in the closet shelf. To my dismay, the whole closet creaked and squeeked so loudly at night, it woke me up! Also, I was experiencing profound depression like never before, like something was having hooks in me and I was being pulled down into a hole, so I chucked the whole board into the dumpster. In about a week my depression subsided, I had second thoughts, and decided to go buy another Ouija board. This was getting expensive, I thought.

The same thing happened, bad swearing, calling me names. It's like they were ready, waiting for me to open up the Ouija Board container. I hadn't even asked a question yet!. Maybe they were mad that I threw the first board away. I stuck with it, but couldn't hardly get to any intelligent answers...the spirits were mostly jerks. In the meantime, the closet was 'talking' at night, waking me up...I was getting no sleep...and the depression was even worse than before. I decided to hang it up, threw away the second board, and it took two weeks for the depression to subside, but I'd learned my lesson.

I decided to go back to the key on a string. That worked very well, although I just went with the answers, not knowing if they were right or wrong. I've learned a lot since then, about how to get right answers more of the time.

About 12 years ago I stopped using the pendulum and went to the finger-stick method. That's when you use just two fingers for Yes and No answers. I have often thought that the Buddha and Jesus used the finger-stick method because in the Lotus position, Buddha has either index or middle finger touching thumb. Early icons of Jesus show him holding up two fingers. I thought this was the way they were remember by their followers, using the finger-stick method. Maybe not, who knows?

I never did dowsing for water, although another friend (not Lillie) took me out to the yard of that Student Family Housing complex, and showed me how she had learned to dowse for water, a couple of days behind the experience with Lillie. Lisa bent (oh, that's funny, I never noticed both their names started with Ls!) two closet hangers into L-rods to show me. This she did, without my telling her about Lillie! Seems like 'somebody' was trying to tell me something? Anyway, that's how I got hooked, and have been doing it ever since.

Christine
christine

Postby DowserJohn » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:00 pm

In August 1952 I was commissioned from the Royal Military Academy, Sandhurst, into the Corps of Royal Engineers; we were known as Intake #9, Harvey's Batch - the first lot of officers commissioned by HM Queen Elizabeth II.
We then attended the School of Military Engineering at Chatham, Kent, where our instructor was a Captain from New Zealand.
One afternoon he lined us up on the rugby pitch, gave each 2 pieces of bent wire, told us to hold each piece in our hand with our elbows at the side of our body and the long part of the wire in front of us, and then told us to walk forward.
My wires suddenly crossed - as did those of most of my fellow officers.
So we asked what had happened ?
"Gentlemen, you have now learnt to Dowse - there is a water pipe running where your wires crossed, and you located it by Dowsing !"
Note that there was hint to us about Dowsing before we did the exercise, so no prejudice prevented us from having our first Dowsing experience.
'Why be difficult, when with a little more effort you can be absolutely impossible'
DowserJohn

Postby Cheryl Magyar » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:47 am

A few years ago we had some guests stay the night at our home as they were traveling from France to Romania. I am not sure how the discussion about dowsing came about, but pretty soon the gentleman cut a branch from one of our apricot trees and was off. My husband asked him to locate the water source for our pond (where the previous owner had indicated) and it was exactly there, at the depth that we were told. Quite amazed at this, my husband wanted to try - our guest took one side of the branch, my husband the other and nothing happened. He tried the same with me and I was startled by the downward movement! Then he suggested I try it on my own, approaching the source from different directions - every time it pointed to the same spot.

The next few days I was very intrigued - there was also a pit dug by the former owner which he intended as an irrigation pond (we suppose) and I tried dowsing there, I felt the water quite strongly, so I decided to dig. After less than a meter the water started coming up, much to my surprise!

I told my mom about this experience and she said that her dad worked for the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) and helped in locating wells, among other things, as a dowser.
Cheryl Magyar

Postby Bonnie » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:08 pm

What a fascinating way to begin the adventure! Sounds like you've inherited the "dowsing gene" from your grandfather, and your gentleman visitor switched it on.
Bonnie

PreviousNext

Return to General