Stellarium

Ask a dowsing question, tell us your gossip, chat etc. here!

Re: Stellarium

Postby Grahame Gardner » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:55 pm

Flushed with that success, I've just re-done my Stellarium landscape of Sighthill stone circle in Glasgow, a modern astronomically-aligned ring constructed in 1979. The old landscape was the first one I ever made, and was taken with my old digital camera so the resolution was pretty poor. I took this panorama in December 2013 - the best time to view the circle is when the trees are bare, although that does make it a complete pain to edit the panorama for Stellarium as you have to manually erase all the bits of sky between the branches. I suddenly remembered why I hadn't updated this one at the time! (note to self: no more panoramas involving trees) :lol:

The Sighthill area is scheduled for a new housing development so I don't know how long the circle is going to last; however due to pressure from local pagans and others, including the designer Duncan Lunan, the Council have promised to preserve the stones and recreate the circle somewhere in the vicinity, although it's unlikely to enjoy such good panoramic views as it does at present.
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
Grahame Gardner
Site Admin

Postby Ian Pegler » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:00 am

Stellarium now has a plug-in called "ArchaeoLines". Great for archeoastronomy. There's also a 3D landscapes plugin, which looks neat, if only I knew how to use it.
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby Grahame Gardner » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:13 am

Ian Pegler wrote:there's also a 3D landscapes plugin, which looks neat, if only I knew how to use it.

Yes, I've been curious about that one myself Ian. I can't get it to do anything. I don't know if there are special landscapes that have to be used? Can't find anything on the wiki either.
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
Grahame Gardner
Site Admin

Postby Grahame Gardner » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:35 pm

There is a new Stellarium user guide available. It's in pdf format and you have to sign in to download it, but looks good!
Grahame
Grahame Gardner
Site Admin

Postby Grahame Gardner » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:55 pm

Ian Pegler wrote:there's also a 3D landscapes plugin, which looks neat, if only I knew how to use it.

I just got this working! On the lower panel, there are 3 circular icons towards the middle of the screen. The centre one brings up the settings dialogue. You have to load a 'scene' first, and then CTRL+ cursor keys lets you move around. There are only two scenes to choose from, and frankly the graphics are pretty crude in both of them - the 'test' scene in particular is like an early 8-bit rendering of Doom! :lol:

But things can only get better I guess.
Grahame
Grahame Gardner
Site Admin

Previous

Return to General