Isolated tribe spotted in Brazil

Ask a dowsing question, tell us your gossip, chat etc. here!

Isolated tribe spotted in Brazil

Postby Ian Pegler » Fri May 30, 2008 5:35 pm

One of South America's few remaining uncontacted indigenous tribes has been spotted and photographed on the border between Brazil and Peru.

CLICK HERE to read the article.

"They still know what we've forgotten"

- from John Boorman's The Emerald Forest
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Re: Isolated tribe spotted in Brazil

Postby Ian Pegler » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:07 am

Authorities in Peru are to take measures to protect some of the last indigenous tribes to have avoided contact with the outside world.

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby Ian Pegler » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:55 am

Peru has declared a state of emergency in jungle areas where indigenous groups are blocking oil and gas installations in protest at a new land sale law.

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby Ian Pegler » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:00 am

The remote Amazon river basin was once home to densely populated towns and villages, Science journal reports.

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby Ian Pegler » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:42 am

from the BBC...

Peru faces water versus oil dilemma

"Peru, a mining country" is a government slogan which can be seen emblazoned on official buildings and heard repeatedly on state media broadcasts.

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby Ian Pegler » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:00 am

from WalesOnline.co.uk...

Welsh scientists unlock secrets of carbon capture from the Amazon

A PROCESS invented thousands of years ago by Amazonian Indians could play a key role in defeating global warming, experts in Wales claim today.

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby Ian Pegler » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:53 pm

from the BBC...

Brazil grants environmental licence for Belo Monte dam

Brazil's government has granted an environmental licence for the construction of a controversial hydro-electric dam in the Amazon rainforest.

CLICK HERE to read the article

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby mike » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:09 am

I have a joke post here but I dare not write it down, in case I upset people,its to do with an unknown pigmy tribe from this area who would keep in touch while out hunting running through the high sharp elephant grass, PM me if want more details,since any more details will have me on strike one I feel. :lol: :lol: I feel sure in this wild area many small tribes will remain hidden and lost to the modern world, and their knowledge of cures for illness must be very good,since most of the worlds medicines have been found here from plant and root growth in the forests used for years by the tribes witch doctor.The other peril for these people is the wood cutting and roads being pushed through the dense forests, so making anywhere and everywhere open to loggers/gold miners now.
mike

Postby Grahame Gardner » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:09 pm

mike wrote:I have a joke post here but I dare not write it down, in case I upset people,its to do with an unknown pygmy tribe from this area who would keep in touch while out hunting running through the high sharp elephant grass, PM me if want more details,since any more details will have me on strike one I feel. :lol: :lol:

I think I know the joke you refer to, Mike; and yes, it might result in a slapped wrist! :mrgreen:

The exploitation and destruction of the rainforest is indeed a depressing subject, especially as we in the Western world are indirectly or directly responsible for driving it. I think at some subconscious level we all feel guilty about it whilst at the same time we feel powerless to prevent it. About all we can do as individuals is try to educate ourselves and others about the issues, and try to avoid purchasing any products that threaten those environments.
I recently stopped buying Nairn's oatcakes, although they were my favourite brand, because of their use of palm oil from plantations in Indonesia that are resulting in destruction of rainforest there and also the habitations of orang-utans. I sent them an email about it; in return I got a stock PR response telling me that their palm oil comes from 'sustainable' palm plantations, and that palm trees are actually better at reducing greenhouse gases than rainforest!! Talk about missing the point... needless to say, I now use Paterson's oatcakes, which don't use palm oil and actively support orang-utan preservation.
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
Grahame Gardner
Site Admin

Postby Kevin » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:04 pm

Mike,
Thats not the hellarewe's is it?
They live in tall grasss and can be heard jumping up and down shouting,
"Where the hell are We."
Kevin
Kevin

Postby mike » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:19 pm

Think about it Kevin, tall SHARP elephant grass and them being a pigmy tribe, not so much wherearewe, more like oh-my- and thats as far as I go :mrgreen: Makes my eyes water to think about it :lol: Yes I feel the same way like I want to help but just how do you approach this problem,boycott products that make the situation worse, but then on that side of the coin you hurt those local workers employed there..Its not easy to do the right thing here, and hard to try and change the world the way you like it, with plenty of room for the native animals, and the local people as well ? The world over at this time if things are not changed, we lose many animals from the forest for good,and then its a case of watching zoo animals only, as the wild ones are all gone for GOOD...One route is collect animal sperm and freeze it, that way at least when conditions are better you could introduce the animal again in a safe area, at this time the worlds population is rising faster than at any other time, Nature will redress this imbalance one way or the other, you see.
mike

Postby Ian Pegler » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:28 am

from the BBC...

New images of remote Brazil tribe

New pictures have been released of an isolated tribe living in rainforest on the Brazil-Peru border.

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby Helen-Healing » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:09 am

Do you think the 'Great Whirleybird in the Sky' has become a god with them?!
Helen-Healing

Postby Ian Pegler » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:24 pm

IMHO, the less contact they have with the outside world the better.

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby Bonnie » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:11 pm

Same here. When I saw that picture, I thought "God help them."
Bonnie

Next

Return to General