Is there an afterlife?

for esoteric discussions, spiritual ruminations, metaphysical mutterings etc.

Is there an afterlife?

Postby simonwheeler » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:16 am

From The Independent the science of biocentrism.

While the religious would argue that life on earth is a mere warm up for an eternity spent in heaven or hell, and many scientists would dismiss the concept for lack of proof – one expert claims he has definitive evidence to confirm once and for all that there is indeed life after death.

The answer, Professor Robert Lanza says, lies in quantum physics – specifically the theory of biocentrism. The scientist, from Wake Forest University School of Medicine in North Carolina, says the evidence lies in the idea that the concept of death is a mere figment of our consciousness.
As we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

www.simongordonwheeler.co.uk

Simon
simonwheeler

Re: Is there an afterlife?

Postby Saimera » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:54 pm

It seems that this question is the same one as....who am I?
The same question as ....who am I asking with my dowsing?

Assuming we reach the stage of realising our own reality we must become aware first of what we are not.
Our identity is certainly not as a body, a social identity or status.
Our true identity must be permanent, as all these are transitory.

We may come eventually to find that we are the pure potential of everything that has ever been or ever will manifest.
At this point we know we are ONE with everything.

Our true reality therefore never dies, although we discard bodies like unwanted raincoats.
Afterlife questions then become a mental exercise.
And when we dowse there is nothing seperate from us incarnated or not, for us to ask.
We are only asking ourselves.

I think Paxton Robey spoke at the last American dowsing conference.
He is an excellent reference for this topic... of living either in the mental ego world, or in the flow of all that is.
Living beyond karma (cause and effect), simply by recognising our own true reality.

And when there is no death there can be no fear, as all forms of fear are directly related to a fear of death.

I would love to hear comments Simon.
Best wishes, Christopher
Saimera

Postby ledgehammer » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:12 pm

when a person dies, the people that are closest to that person often adopt the thoughts, mannerisms of the deceased. It could be said that the consciousness of a dead person will live on i those around them.

For those who have a more open mind, if we can for a second accept that consciousness is a non localised phenomena - we can also accept that consciousness does not have to die and vanish with the physical vehicle. In this way you could argue that the afterlife is in fact more rea that we are currently aware.

Go even further and accept that consciousness is only the beginning of our connection with the universe, and that there most certainly is an afterlife and that this is very much dictated to by the individual, one may even accept that the reality we are temporarily existing within has a lot to offer us, may even be tailored by us to show us something or a series of things in that temporary aspect of ourselves....

call this after life "heaven" , and we are temporarily on "Earth"...

best

Tom
The universe is a soul, trying to understand itself.... We each have the power to look inward at its immense beauty....
ledgehammer

Postby Lynnie » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:21 am

I don't believe there is an afterlife, I know there is. I've had so many experiences from about the age of 15 when I first became interested in spiritualism.

Lynnie
Lynnie

Postby Helen-Healing » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:14 pm

ledgehammer wrote:when a person dies, the people that are closest to that person often adopt the thoughts, mannerisms of the deceased. It could be said that the consciousness of a dead person will live on in those around them.

This is so true.
I particularly remember the son of a couple I knew when I lived in Ibiza - his father died when he was 4, but as a grown young man (17/18/19 years old) I was spooked many times at the way of talking, gestures & body movements he used that were exactly like his father's!! :shock: He could not possibly have consciously remembered much about his Dad! I had known his father extremely well for years, and Jason was the walking embodiment of him.
Helen-Healing

Postby ledgehammer » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:03 pm

Helen,

second time writing this post, someone really needs to fix the glitch that logs you out and deletes your data!!!

Its a difficult one, I have seen things that are hard to comprehend, extremely personal and often only meant for me.

I remember speculating at a funeral, where something rather amazing happened - that the funeral is designed to allow the living to release the dead, almost as if the links with the conciousness's are holding the dead back from passing.

The book > The afterlife experiments by Gary Schwartz, is either a complete fraud or he has a scientific explanation for an afterlife, what exactly that is remains to be seen. I am confident that the answers lie with science, and quantum physics understanding consciousness, goes hand in hand with time and space, and there so many gaps in biological science also that should lead to breakthroughs in understanding consciousness…

best

Tom
The universe is a soul, trying to understand itself.... We each have the power to look inward at its immense beauty....
ledgehammer

Postby Helen-Healing » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:13 pm

ledgehammer wrote: the funeral is designed to allow the living to release the dead, almost as if the links with the conciousness's are holding the dead back from passing.

I completely believe this too, Tom. The book The Lovely Bones illustrates this perfectly, from both the living & the dead's point of view - they are intrinsically intertwined & the one holds back the other from closure, and vice versa.
Helen-Healing

Postby simonwheeler » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:42 pm

Some mediums will tell you that once a dead person has been forgotten by all living persons, they cannot be contacted....a connection through consciousnesses is necessary for the 2-way communication to happen....and if nobody is conscious of (ie remembers or has knowledge of) the dead person...zilch, nada...nothing....
As we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

www.simongordonwheeler.co.uk

Simon
simonwheeler

Postby ledgehammer » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:33 pm

Helen-Healing wrote:
ledgehammer wrote: the funeral is designed to allow the living to release the dead, almost as if the links with the conciousness's are holding the dead back from passing.

I completely believe this too, Tom. The book The Lovely Bones illustrates this perfectly, from both the living & the dead's point of view - they are intrinsically intertwined & the one holds back the other from closure, and vice versa.

Helen,

I believe one of my favourite directors Peter Jackson adapted this into an amazing film? I shall have to get the book :-)

you can download library e-books now, for free… well until they privatise them… ;-)

best

Tom
ledgehammer

Postby ledgehammer » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:38 pm

simonwheeler wrote:Some mediums will tell you that once a dead person has been forgotten by all living persons, they cannot be contacted....a connection through consciousnesses is necessary for the 2-way communication to happen....and if nobody is conscious of (ie remembers or has knowledge of) the dead person...zilch, nada...nothing....

Simon,

I like this, It seems to marry with the experiments in the book I mentioned. I speculate a lot on consciousness in my book - for me if you want your consciousness to be accessed/remembered, well at least part of it - create a wide range of art, because on some level what we create from ideas into the physical manifests, and is shared - perhaps unknowingly…

best

Tom
ledgehammer

Postby Geoff Stuttaford » Fri May 30, 2014 1:21 pm

Yes.

The majority of dowsers and those with other metaphysical abilities will be re-incarnated, about 5 days after they pass on, into another dimension and become Live rather than in spirit – where the rest of mankind will finish up. Most of us will not be returning to this planet in the foreseeable future.
Geoff

Those friends thou hast, and their adoption tried, grapple them to thy soul with hoops of steel (Polonius)
Geoff Stuttaford

Postby Grahame Gardner » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:20 am

The great illusionist Harry Houdini was a renowned sceptical debunker of spiritualists and psychic phenomena (much like his modern-day copycat Randi but without the million-dollar challenge). It is well-known that he had promised his wife that if there was a life after death, then he would return and communicate with her using a personal code that had been part of their act. What is less well-known is that the medium Arthur Ford, through his spirit guide Fletcher, did actually channel a message from Houdini that his wife confirmed was genuine as it used the correct code words known only to them both.

Houdini's circle of colleagues largely consisted of pseudo-sceptics and debunkers, so this revelation was naturally greeted with derision and disbelief, perpetrated by the mainstream press, who conducted a long smear campaign against Mrs Houdini, accusing her and Mr. Ford of fraud. Eventually caving in under pressure, she withdrew her signed statements and kept her own counsel thereafter, but she continued to hold an annual seance on the anniversary of Harry's death. Sceptics ever since have used this story to bolster their position that it was simple fraud, yet the evidence all suggests quite the opposite.

I'm being brief here, leading up to introducing this excellent blog from Haunted Scotland that details the whole story, complete with seldom-seen evidence from Beatrice Houdini. It makes for a compelling read, and a salutary reminder to beware of those sceptics who think they know better than yourself.
We all know the names of those who THINK they have all the answers and regrettably they have a massive following to this day.
Never again should they attempt citing Houdini as proof for their theories, for the history books quite clearly state that the opposite is evident, no matter how hard that is to swallow for some.
Harry Houdini, quite ironically, added proof to the files of the afterlife and survival of physical death.
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
Grahame Gardner
Site Admin

Return to Metaphysics & Spirituality