Post-religion poll finds most 'have spiritual beliefs'

for esoteric discussions, spiritual ruminations, metaphysical mutterings etc.

Postby Ian Pegler » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:28 am

from the BBC...

Despite the falling popularity of organised religion, most people in the UK still believe in the power of spiritual forces, research suggests.

CLICK HERE to read the article.

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Re: Post-religion poll finds most 'have spiritual beliefs'

Postby Lyndon Ronstadt » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:19 pm

654 said:
How can you tell if your experiences are anything other than some aberrant brain chemistry ?

Good question. In my experience we can't. All we can do is decide if the experience is positive or not and, if positive, pursue some sort of discipline in the hope of increasing it's incidence. If we wait around for someone to answer all our questions we might wait in vain. Experience through experiment is mandatory, it seems.

If we want some form of higher perception that is under our control we have to work at it. In India they allegedly meditate for several lifetimes before a breakthrough comes.

To me 'spiritual' is a cypher for something we can't explain, and that 'something' is an inchoate sensing of our own potential - not in terms of what is desirable for us as individuals but in terms our place as functionaries within the intent of the planetary spirit.

'Spiritual' is giving up "I want" and replacing it with "this is my assigned task and I intend to pursue it." - IMO

Pass the poppadoms, Pandit.
Lyndon Ronstadt

Return to Metaphysics & Spirituality