Podcast now online!

Forum section for comments and discussion about our podcasts

Podcast now online!

Postby Grahame Gardner » Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:16 pm

Well, as usual it's taken much longer than anticipated to get this together, but I am pleased to announce that our new series of dowsing podcasts is now online. You can find it on the main BSD site under 'learning/podcast' or by clicking here.

So far there are three episodes available. I hope to have another two or three uploaded during November.
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
Grahame Gardner
Site Admin

Re: Podcast now online!

Postby Ian Pegler » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:00 pm

I've heard the first three - great stuff so far. :P

I had no difficulty subscribing to the RSS feed.

All the best

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby Grahame Gardner » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:07 am

Ian Pegler wrote:I had no difficulty subscribing to the RSS feed.

That's good to know,Ian - thanks. I'm impressed that you downloaded all that lot - aren't you still on dial-up?

I still haven't managed to get it iTunes compliant yet - when I try to subscribe in iTunes I get a message telling me that there's no playable content. Probably something I need to add to the xml file. I'll be working on that next week.
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
Grahame Gardner
Site Admin

Postby Ian Pegler » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:24 pm

That's good to know,Ian - thanks. I'm impressed that you downloaded all that lot - aren't you still on dial-up?

Yes I am. My connection auto disconnects after 2 hours so there's a limit to how much I can download in one go. 20MB is quite a serious download if you're me. Fortunately I'm not on PAYG.

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby Grahame Gardner » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:48 pm

Grahame Gardner wrote:I still haven't managed to get it iTunes compliant yet - when I try to subscribe in iTunes I get a message telling me that there's no playable content. Probably something I need to add to the xml file. I'll be working on that next week.

I have now replaced the RSS feed with a new one that is iTunes-friendly, so you can at least now subscribe using iTunes if you have that installed. If you have already subscribed to the original feed you will need to update to the new one as I won't be maintaining the old feed.
I still haven't managed to submit it to the iTunes store however - although my iTunes has no problem with the feed, it seems that they can't actually find it at all! Hey ho.... :cry:
Grahame
Grahame Gardner
Site Admin

Postby Ian Pegler » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:22 pm

I had no problems with the updated RSS feed link.

I don't have itunes though.

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby An Ri Rua » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:24 am

Hi Graham,

just listening to these now. Excellent!

The web can be a cold, silent place and the raison d'etre behind these is well-founded. Hats off to all of you.

Ruairi
An Ri Rua

Postby Grahame Gardner » Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:25 pm

Thanks for the compliments, Ruahri - keep spreading the word! I've just uploaded the fifth episode; this one featuring the work of Village Water.

The podcast has now been accepted by iTunes. You can find it by searching for 'dowsing' in the iTunes Store. We haven't quite made it to the 'Featured' list yet, but it's early days! :lol:

If you do choose to subscribe through the iTunes store, be sure to leave us a review!
Grahame
Grahame Gardner
Site Admin

Postby arthur hamlin » Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:41 pm

I regret that I have looked to see if there is an explanation for terms such as I Pod, Podcast, I tunes etc and do not find one even though I have looked at the sites. I find these difficult to understand including `Image Shack` which has taken me hours sometime to get a download of a picture or writings if I have not done it for sometime. As time goes on there will be more of this and feel there should be in or around the windows one is looking at a place which says to click (and not 3 or 4 clicks away to cause further confusion) to get an explanation of all these terms.
Arthur
arthur hamlin

Postby arthur hamlin » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:14 pm

It may be possible to include the Encyclopedia of Terms.
Arthur
arthur hamlin

Postby Grahame Gardner » Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:38 pm

arthur hamlin wrote:I regret that I have looked to see if there is an explanation for terms such as I Pod, Podcast, I tunes etc and do not find one even though I have looked at the sites.

Arthur; I'm sorry you're having difficulty with these terms, but they refer to technology that is in common usage in the 21st century and on the internet, and a few minutes spent Googling them will tell you more than you ever needed to know about them.

Podcast
iPod
iTunes

Merry Christmas!
Grahame
Grahame Gardner
Site Admin

Postby arthur hamlin » Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:47 pm

Okay so now I have looked up google and saw what a podcast looked like and am told that i tunes are what you feed into them. But hey these are not for me. I do not wish to get reliant on what others wish to tell me through this form of plastic media jungle.
But I still believe that this Dowsing Forum Site could do with its own interpretation of terms.
As I write this, above is written Img and Url etc. We also have the little booklet brought out just a few years ago relating to Dowsing terms and their interpretation. Now anyone just joining this site would I`m sure appeciate knowing the terminology/interpretation of these symbols and words which can easily be forgotten but just one click away above or at the side of this window would give all the information needed for what we are not familiar with. It would than be possible to add any new symbols or words with interpretations as they come along.
Come on Grahame you can do it! and it would be appreciated by so many.
Arthur.
arthur hamlin

Postby Grahame Gardner » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:50 am

arthur hamlin wrote:Come on Grahame you can do it!

With respect Arthur, NO - I can not 'do it'. How much free time do you think I have? It is not my personal responsibility to educate you in every little nuance of internet jargon or piece of modern technology that comes along. Nor is it the responsibility of the rest of the moderators, administrators, writers of this forum software, website hosts, your internet service provider, the British Society of Dowsers, your mother, or anyone else out there. The responsibility is YOURS alone. You have the tools at your disposal - your computer and the internet - all the information you require can be found in mere seconds through use of a simple internet search engine. If you can't be bothered to use those tools to keep up to date with current technology that is your problem, not mine. Nobody else on the forum seems to have this problem - doesn't that tell you anything?

In the last twelve months or so I have taught myself how to:
    Record and edit a podcast
    Publish it as an MP3 file on the internet
    Create an RSS feed so that it can be syndicated and publish that
    Submit the podcast to iTunes.
I have taught myself all of that from scratch, using nothing more than the tools at my disposal - i.e. my computer, which is connected to the internet. It has cost me very little except a bit of my time, but it has the potential to introduce dowsing to a much wider and younger audience who are as familiar with the technology as you are with a dowsing rod, hopefully gaining more members for the BSD and promoting dowsing along the way. That's why I'm doing it. And yet you can't even be bothered to spend 30 seconds with a search engine looking up definitions of some terms that you don't understand, when you have exactly the same tools available to you. Instead you would rather post on here and whinge about how difficult it is to understand this stuff in the hope that someone will take pity on you and guide you by the hand through the jungle of computer technology. Well, although I have tried to help you in the past, I'm afraid I'm not going to be the one to do it for you anymore. If you don't want to keep up with the world that is your own affair; but if that is the case then you rescind the right to complain on the forum about anything you don't understand, and I would really appreciate it if you would stop interrupting forum topics with your curmudgeonly comments on such subjects.
In future I shall be more ruthless in my moderating - there shall be a Cull of Curmudgeonly Comments!
Grahame
Grahame Gardner
Site Admin

Postby simonwheeler » Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:07 pm

(singing....) Oh tidings of comfort and joy, comfort and joy,....etc.
And: Happy new year to all our readers.

Actually, completely agree with you Grahame. Personal responsibility is so very important (as I indicated in a reply to one of Arthur's postings recently) and can lead to greater self-empowerment. You make a basic teaching point, Grahame- teaching is giving the students the resources (in many senses of the word) to learn for themselves- not doing it for them. It may be a "mixed ability class" on this forum but there is nobody here whose lack of "nouse" (is that the right word?) prevents them from contributing, learning and/or understanding here. We always have the chance to further our own learning by exploring the vast resources the internet offer- should we so choose; we can agree or disagree with the postings of others- should we so choose; we can post our own experiences and views- should we so choose. But all those choices have implications- for us and others who read this forum. It is our personal responsibility to ensure we keep within both the overt and covert "rules"- of which there are few, but those that exist are there for the good of us all.
I confess I have yet to listen to one of the podcasts (sorry Grahame!!), nor have I got into RSS feeds. But those are my choices- and maybe my loss. But when I feel the need to do so I shall learn how to do so. Just as I learned how to post on here, how to use mark up and quotes, how to do the signature, how to use PM etc....I learned by doing it.
Strange that... :twisted: isn't that how we learn to dowse?
:P
As we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

www.simongordonwheeler.co.uk

Simon
simonwheeler

Postby Grahame Gardner » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:59 am

Oh dear, I was in a seriously grumpy mood on Saturday, wasn't I? :oops: Probably because I was about to go to work for a 16 hour shift...
Arthur, I do apologise for going off on such a rant and am sorry if I've caused offence. My remarks arose more out of frustration than anything else really. I can do some clever things with computers, but asking me to redesign the entire internet for you is somewhat beyond my powers, I'm afraid... it's a capricious and mystifying entity and I know it's not as user-friendly as it could be; but it is the nature of the beast and we all have to learn to work with it as best we can.

Now back to the carol singing.... :mrgreen:
Grahame
Grahame Gardner
Site Admin

Next

Return to Podcast - Adventures in Dowsing