March 2006 - Valle Crucis

The place to discuss any articles in the BSD journal, Dowsing Today

March 2006 - Valle Crucis

Postby Safebreaker » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:42 pm

RELATED THREADS

Llangollen's Holy Grail legend - new research
March 2008 - Heroes of the Dawn - related material

I have just read the article in Dowsing Today by Ian on Valle Crucis. He mentions burnt timbers under foundation stones and queries - why burnt? Many years ago an old builder told me that burnt timber does not rot. If he was putting in fencing stakes and wanted them to last, he would stick the end that was to go in the ground in a fire and char it before he used it. Could this answer the question? If timber was put under foundation stones then surely when it rotted it would allow the stone to sink.

Just a suggestion.

Safebreaker

Edited by I.P. 23.4.08 - Incorporated the date of publication into the thread title
Edited by I.P. 4.7.10 - added cross references to related threads
Safebreaker

re: burnt timbers

Postby Ian Pegler » Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:48 pm

Good one, Safebreaker.

A lot of the archaeology at Valle Crucis was done quite a while ago, and Reverend Owen didn't write up his work to the same standards as would be expected of archaeologists today. I have been dealing with material that's pretty much a century old, and sometimes older, with the exception of a couple of digs done in the 1970's and 1990's.

The work of Reverend Owen appeared as newspaper reports in the Oswestry Advertiser, which were then reproduced elsewhere: Archaeologica Cambrensis, a book from George Vernon Price dating to the 1950s and a small pamphlet produced by Huw Jones, again about a century old.

Since then, the quality of archaeology generally, has improved, (one hopes!) and when you read all this old material you begin to wonder how much they actually got right.

The problem is that Valle Crucis is a Grade I listed building and, unless there is an opportune moment, CADW won't let anyone do any kind of systematic excavation there at all.

Under these circumstances we can hardly be blamed for speculating!

I recently learned that the University of Wales is going to spend five years (and 900,000 UKP) working on the poetry of Guto'r Glyn.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/mid/6253635.stm

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Re: Valle Crucis

Postby Ian Pegler » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:00 am

Just to keep things up-to-date...

I have had three articles on Valle Crucis abbey published in Dowsing Today...These are results of a project of mine which began in 2003 and which is still ongoing. I'm currently working on getting it all straightened out and may publish a book at some point. Anyway, the three articles are:

Valle Crucis Abbey printed in Dowsing Today March 2006.

This dealt primarily with dowsing for underground structures and confirmation from geophysics scans and archaeological reports.

The Man with the Holy Grail published in Dowsing Today December 2006.

This dealt with physical evidence for a church a Valle Crucis and references to V.C. in the poetry of the Welsh bard Guto'r Glyn.

Heroes of the Dawn published in Dowsing Today March 2008.

This dealt with all sorts of stuff ! Templars buried at Valle Crucis, apparitions, visions, psychometry, more dowsing, Guinivere's Cross, Bran the Fisher King and the ancestry of the Man with the Holy Grail.

The last one was published without the footnotes and references, so I put them elsewhere on this forum - CLICK HERE

Back-copies of these issues are (I hope!) available from the BSD office.

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Re: March 2006 - Valle Crucis

Postby shaunb » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:26 pm

I recently dowsed Valle Crucis, as it intersected a Ley Line I was following. the line runs in a NNE to SSW direction going through the eastern perimeter of the grounds and south to Llangollen.
shaunb

Postby Ian Pegler » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:36 am

shaunb wrote:I recently dowsed Valle Crucis, as it intersected a Ley Line I was following. the line runs in a NNE to SSW direction going through the eastern perimeter of the grounds and south to Llangollen.

Yes I found a line there back in 2003. Sounds like the same one, to me. :P

If it's the one I think it is, it'll probably just miss Llangollen and go to the west of it a bit.

There is plenty of archaeology, especially on the eastern end, also in the cloister.

I was there just recently myself. There were two guys there who were surveying the fishpond for dredging.

One was on the bank with measuring tape and surveying equipment, the other was in a dinghy, floating around on the fishpond, carrying a pole with some fancy electronics on the top.

You will have noticed that the old cottage at the back is being converted into a new visitor centre. It's not open yet.

When I went there the exhibition in the monks dormitory was closed. Bah! I wanted to take more photos of the grave-slabs.

I also went up Castell DInas Bran. They actually had guys on scaffolding, doing some kind of maintenance work, inspite of the strong winds.

I guess that's one way of getting a stiff neck !

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby Ian Pegler » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:14 am

I just came across a BBC documentary about Trefor Hall near Llangollen, featuring the current owner Louise Parker and Laurence Llewelyn Bowen. There are brief shots of Valle Crucis where so many of the Trevors of former times lie buried and also a brief discussion of the Pillar of Eliseg near Valle Crucis.

The docmentary is still on iplayer so watch it while you still can. CLICK HERE

CLICK HERE for a related article.

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby Ian Pegler » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:26 pm

Regarding the Pillar of Eliseg, the following rather mysterious comment has appeared on the Megalithic Portal

Could it be that the famous cross that gives the valley its name may not have been a cross at all? A new archaeological study is set to take place later this year.

By the look of the long post at the bottom, this was only posted two days ago.

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby Ian Pegler » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:40 pm

Hello

An update: my book Valle Crucis and the Grail is now available from myself and very soon from the BSD. For more info see the website at http://www.vallecrucisgrail.co.uk.

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby Ian Pegler » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:24 am

I got an email from the Office the other day - Valle Crucis and the Grail is now available from the BSD.

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby Ian Pegler » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:34 am

The BSD sold out of copies at the Conference, but they now have five signed copies from me.

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby Ian Pegler » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:39 pm

A couple of articles dating back to 2000, which I seem to have missed up until now...

from the Guardian...

Looted abbey
Search for the missing stones

Friends of an 800-year-old Cistercian abbey are seeking ancient stones which may help to complete the picture of monastic life among the lonely hills of north Wales.

CLICK HERE to read the article.

A similar article from the BBC - CLICK HERE

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Return to Dowsing Today