The Guardian, "UK water firms admit using divining rods...."

the place to post any media reports about dowsers and dowsing .

The Guardian, "UK water firms admit using divining rods...."

Postby DarkChestofWonders » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:59 pm

From the Guardian Online;

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/nov/21/uk-water-firms-admit-using-divining-rods-to-find-leaks-and-pipes

I thought this would be an interesting article, but just another scientist who has got it in for divining! WITHOUT EVEN TRYING IT OUT!!!

Some nice admissions from the water companies that they use dowsing rods, just a shame some back paddled.

Well done to Anglian Water for offering to set the matter straight.
Sometimes things have to be believed to be seen
DarkChestofWonders

Re: The Guardian, "UK water firms admit using divining rods.

Postby mike » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:45 pm

Its a sad fact both companys and Universitys will ignore the idea dowsing does work, and they cannot fully explain it away, so its much better they ignore it till the time comes when they can understand it better and not seem so out of touch , so for the moment dowsing is very much in the grey area of science....The only people who will write about dowsing are the people who dowse, as anyone involved with science or has a University post cannot if they value their pension and job speak in an open way about it.Just a shame dowsing is not accepted yet, it will be one day, as more and more people get involved and dowse for fun or as a hobby and get to understand more about it....A water company is the one place where they will use a dowser and perhaps keep quiet about it, who cares how they found the leak along a two hundred yard length of piping, as long as they know where to dig and plug the hole in the pipe . :lol: I remember years ago where I worked they had a leak in the pipes and wanted to sort it out, and during the night I walked the pipe to find where the water was running free, and the position I dowsed was where the break was, they had to take up a large part of the road to find it, so I dont think they used a dowser that time.
mike

Postby mike » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:19 pm

Following on from that news report the Water Boards use dowsers to find leaks and check where pipes run, our local Radio WM did an experiment where the producer one Kevin Pashby (Posh Pashers ) dowsed three cups on the table with one having water in it looking for water, AND he managed to dowse which one had the water.He could not understand how or why it worked but was very excited to feel the L rod in his hand move, and Danny Kelly who runs the programme till midday was impressed.....The BSD rep was Fay Palmer who explained in great detail how it works on the radio, and to be honest I thought it was a really wonderful exposure of dowsing to the people who listen on the WM radio for once.I spoke a little while afterwards on the dowsing subject and was asked questions which I tried to answer as best as I could, but today I think the dowsing message got across to many people who might in the past have had little or no knowledge on the subject, well done Fay and Radio WM.
mike

Postby Ian Pegler » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:50 am

Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby DarkChestofWonders » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:50 am

Great find Ian, nice footage of George dowsing.

It's funny how the presenter asks George how dowsing works,doesn't really believe him and asks him again at the end.
The presenter also asks if George has failed in finding water :roll: .
DarkChestofWonders

Postby Ian Pegler » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:20 am

That's the footage of Kevin Pashby. The footage of George (and Vincent Reddish) is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqZ8MLp3nwQ

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby Grahame Gardner » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:29 pm

Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
Grahame Gardner
Site Admin

Postby DarkChestofWonders » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:52 pm

Whoop's my mistake Ian, I replied to the wrong post :roll: .

Nice report too Grahame.

I'm of the opinion that, "We know dowsing works, we don't need to put it in a box and tick it!"
DarkChestofWonders

Postby Ian Pegler » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:00 am

Sally Le Page declined a TV appearance with a water diviner.

This is a quote from a tweet sent by Sally Le Page, posted 30th Nov. 2017:

Sally Le Page wrote:"Update: their angle was to have a VT of me in a field with a diviner trying to find a hidden water source. I didn't want to lend credence to an unscientific demo masquerading as a scientific experiment so I politely declined. Divination shouldn't be up for debate."

Odd that someone who touts herself as a science communicator, with her own Youtube channel and website should decline the opportunity of appearing on the box, when she's already been on several local radio stations and also on Radio 2 with Jeremy Vine. but as one of her supporters put it:

"Being right is nothing without editorial control"

(tweet sent by @MartHill2112 Nov 29, 2017)

Quite so....!!! :twisted:

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Return to Dowsing in the Media