John Baker on Impossible

the place to post any media reports about dowsers and dowsing .

Re: John Baker on Impossible (UK Channel 5, June 2nd 10pm)

Postby simonwheeler » Mon May 23, 2011 5:09 am

Oh dear. We do, sometimes, seem to be our own worst enemies....

As we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

www.simongordonwheeler.co.uk

Simon
simonwheeler

Postby ledgehammer » Mon May 23, 2011 6:51 am

It makes me wonder now, what would happen if the contestant actually got the answers correct, although their definition of possible is getting the answer every time. This in my mind would mean that there must be a way of bucking the trend, they must make allowances for this and perhaps editing comes in? One one game a very lucky guess , unlikely admittedly, would lose part of the impact of the point of the show. Helen, did he fail on all the games, ? Did he say? Although the answer would ruin our anticipation!
The universe is a soul, trying to understand itself.... We each have the power to look inward at its immense beauty....
ledgehammer

Postby Grahame Gardner » Mon May 23, 2011 8:01 am

ledgehammer wrote:It makes me wonder now, what would happen if the contestant actually got the answers correct

Ian posted a link last year about James Randi's 'Psychic Investigator' series, in which the late Michael Cook successfully passed a map-dowsing test in front of a live audience. Randi simply congratulated him and rapidly moved on without further comment.
In the subsequent segment Michael successfully identified the one 'bad spot' from three areas in the studio that had been located by two other dowsers, and a muscleman brought in to do Bullworker crunches on the three spots agreed that he felt weaker on the 'bad spot'. Randi simply dismissed this as being because it was the last spot he'd tried, so he would have been tired anyway.

Here's the link to Ian's post.
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
Grahame Gardner
Site Admin

Postby Ian Pegler » Mon May 23, 2011 8:53 am

Helen-Healing wrote:I spoke to John about this yesterday, at the London Dowsers meeting.

Apparently, when he signed the contract for the programme, it included the clause that he must not have seen the show before, and that he would not see it until the night that it was shown on TV! :shock: So he has no idea how he's come over, or what they have edited in/out!! I don't think I would sign a contract like that! Once all episodes of the show have finished, he'll be sent a DVD of it all, he said.

He did mention that what he did, he did wrong, and that they were delighted with this & asked whether he'd be willing to appear on other programmes!! Yeah - I bet they were!! :roll:

Doesn't this all rather prove my point?

Publicity at any cost ??? No thanks.

Time for dowsers to wise up.

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby Helen-Healing » Mon May 23, 2011 9:50 am

ledgehammer wrote: Helen, did he fail on all the games, ? Did he say? Although the answer would ruin our anticipation!

He was very tight lipped about it all - perhaps there was a gagging clause as part of the contract!! :lol: (My conjecture only!)

A couple of people at the meeting mentioned they had watched one of the episodes & found it 'very interesting'.
Helen-Healing

Postby ledgehammer » Mon May 23, 2011 5:43 pm

Helen, perhaps... worth a watch I feel... Ian, your point seems to be gaining momentum!... off topic a little, has anyone. Listened to skeptico, its a radio broadcast, seems to talk about some topics which could be of interest to dowsers. Here's where you say "of course, you doughnut!" I heard an artical once about mind control experiments, but it was either a very clever double. Bluff or portraying it in a non skeptical light, I only caught some of it and was a little conspiricy like for my normal medium of information gathering... a o nd thanks for link Graham, and bearing with us newbies... it helps to point us to previous threads of discussion...
The universe is a soul, trying to understand itself.... We each have the power to look inward at its immense beauty....
ledgehammer

Postby Grahame Gardner » Mon May 23, 2011 5:45 pm

ledgehammer wrote: has anyone. Listened to skeptico, its a radio broadcast, seems to talk about some topics which could be of interest to dowsers.

Both Ian and myself are big fans of Skeptiko podcast (note: with a 'k' not a 'c').
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
Grahame Gardner
Site Admin

Postby ledgehammer » Mon May 23, 2011 6:27 pm

Graham, thanks, just a jammie dodger then! :mrgreen:
ledgehammer

Postby Grahame Gardner » Mon May 23, 2011 7:58 pm

Skeptico (with a 'c') is quite a different kettle of fish! :mrgreen:
Grahame
Grahame Gardner
Site Admin

Postby arthur hamlin » Mon May 23, 2011 10:28 pm

simonwheeler wrote:
Arthur: we need to work harder at getting acceptance.
I long to hail the Champion who can take us forward and to see our membership numbers rise

Why? How is this sort of Evangelicalism appropriate?
Surely each one of us needs to get on and do what we do with an open mind and an open heart and do it openly....personal responsibility. The rest will follow- eventually.

(Just a thought.............!!!)

Well Simon I suggest we need to select the right gear to take us forward instead of being in neutral some of the time.
Arthur
arthur hamlin

Re: John Baker on Impossible

Postby Ian Pegler » Tue May 31, 2011 1:35 pm

I've just been informed by the office that the programme with JB has been postponed until later in the year.

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby ledgehammer » Tue May 31, 2011 5:25 pm

Ian, this is unfortunate... any ideas ?
ledgehammer

Postby Helen-Healing » Tue May 31, 2011 5:55 pm

Was any reason given, Ian? Interesting.
Helen-Healing

Postby Ian Pegler » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:11 am

The following comes from the Channel 5 facebook page...

Impossible? has performed really well amongst our core 16-34 audience. So we've taken the decision to play out the rest of the series later this year, so that we can schedule it with other key upcoming shows including Big Brother. We’re confident that this blend of entertainment and reality will resonate with viewers and work well for the channel.

In other words it's so good they're not even going to show it to us!

Reminds me of an old Peanuts cartoon...

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby ledgehammer » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:31 am

Thanks Ian, maybe they monitored this topic, and thought they'd keep us in suspense! :mrgreen:
ledgehammer

PreviousNext

Return to Dowsing in the Media