John Baker on Impossible

the place to post any media reports about dowsers and dowsing .

John Baker on Impossible

Postby Helen-Healing » Tue May 17, 2011 11:33 am

John Baker will be appearing on Channel 5's programme Impossible on Thursday June 2nd 10.00pm - I'm told his appearance is towards the end of the prog.
Helen-Healing

Re: John Baker on TV

Postby Ian Pegler » Fri May 20, 2011 5:52 am

It's pretty obvious where Philip Escoffey is coming from, re dowsing etc:

Philip Escoffey wrote:I am very interested in the psychology of belief and need, and why psychics in the US invoice for $6 billion last year.
"I am a ‘mentalist’ in true parlance."

It’s huge business. It’s fascinating because we’ve all been to school, we’re all educated and yet there is this overarching psychological need in the vast majority of us, to, at worse, subjugate our will by passing it into the hands of a spiritual adviser, your star signs, your Reiki healer and say ‘can you run my life please?’

from here

I watched last night's episode, with reference to the Psychic Detective game he said quite pointedly

"I'm saying there is no-one in the world who can do this".

from here

I always advise dowsers against getting involved with TV shows, especially if they revolve around a stage-magician. Just IMHO.

Impossible? is made by Gogglebox Entertainment.

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby ledgehammer » Fri May 20, 2011 7:52 am

Ian, watched the program without realising about this post. The final test is picking the suitcase with money in, there is. two suitcases, one with a booby prize and one with the prize money, I wonder if dowsing rods are allowed on this task?! :lol: I do find programs such as this and derren browns fascinating, but there is no conflict for me, different people different beliefs.
The universe is a soul, trying to understand itself.... We each have the power to look inward at its immense beauty....
ledgehammer

Postby Ian Pegler » Fri May 20, 2011 8:57 am

ledgehammer wrote:different people different beliefs.

Sure, but the ones in control of the media have one belief and the ones who are not have another. You are possibly unaware of the vehemence with which skeptics pursue their agenda. Possibly you are also unaware that U.K. broadcasting regulations are biased in favour of the skeptical position? Or that skeptical organisations have shares in the big TV companies in the States? If we were all treated as equals I wouldn't have a problem, but much of the output is very one-sided and the skeptics are always given the last word.

I wonder if dowsing rods are allowed on this task?! :lol:

You'll find out on June 2nd !!

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby ledgehammer » Fri May 20, 2011 10:50 am

Ian, of course, fully agree with this, also I think that fear of the unknown prevents a lot of stuff being broadcasted. I'm not sure there is so much a conspiracy though, people watch pap, mindless drama about repeated plots acted out by fictional characters, this is in the comfort zones. Unfortunatly dowsing is looked on with negativity, and is only understood by a minority, therefore airing such programs makes unpopular choices, seriously can you imagine if the program hamish miller done with the stone circle and dowsing, where some find interesting many find offensive. The herd unfortunately is not ready, and that perhaps is a good thing. We are privilidged to have heard about dowsing, and even more privilidged to have had results from it. I do not mind that the majority not understand. I'm sure you will now counter my point though, and i am always open to other ideas, so I look forward to it... regards tom
The universe is a soul, trying to understand itself.... We each have the power to look inward at its immense beauty....
ledgehammer

Postby Helen-Healing » Fri May 20, 2011 12:24 pm

I always advise dowsers against getting involved with TV shows, especially if they revolve around a stage-magician. Just IMHO.

I must admit, that after looking at this prog & seeing what it was about, I was pretty surprised that John got involved in it.
I imagine they got in touch with him to participate. Perhaps the fee was just too enticing!! :mrgreen: (This is a wild guess on my part & not to be taken seriously!)
Helen-Healing

Postby Ian Pegler » Fri May 20, 2011 2:07 pm

ledgehammer wrote:I'm not sure there is so much a conspiracy though

There is no conspiracy at all; it's all being done quite openly:

CSICOP to Become Shareholder in TV Networks
“We are deliberately targeting each of the four major television networks, which is to say, the well-known media conglomerates Westinghouse (CBS), General Electric (NBC), NewsCorp (Fox), and Disney (ABC),” said a CSICOP statement issued in Los Angeles. Also targeted is Time Warner.

“As a ‘shareholder,' CSICOP will have opportunities to attend shareholder meetings, submit viewpoints to shareholder publications, and sponsor shareholder resolutions. While exercising these and other shareholder rights, we will be representing the broad constituency of readers and donors who support CSICOP and the Skeptical Inquirer magazine.”

That's the tip of the iceberg.

ledgehammer wrote:seriously can you imagine if the program hamish miller done with the stone circle and dowsing, where some find interesting many find offensive.

I remember talking to Hamish about this. He said that they'd sent the Spirit of the Serpent in to the BBC, who got some office assistant to respond saying it was "too historical and too intellectual" - or words to that effect !! :lol:

I don't watch soaps, so I can't really comment on them but I'd rather watch Spirit of the Serpent to Eastenders I'm pretty sure.

Surely there are enough channels now to cater for a broad range of tastes? But a programme like the Spirit of the Serpent would probably fall foul of OFCOM's "due objectivity" rule 2.6.
In other words they might require a skeptic to be wheeled in for "balance". Contrast this with the skeptics who can broadcast before the watershed, without needing to call it "entertainment" and without any requirement for a response from people like us.

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby simonwheeler » Fri May 20, 2011 3:00 pm

Aha- there's the rub: people like "them" don't know or understand
people like us.

and sometimes "people like them" believe "people like us" are all the same...
As we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

www.simongordonwheeler.co.uk

Simon
simonwheeler

Postby ledgehammer » Fri May 20, 2011 3:22 pm

Ian, I'm with you all the way, shame it was just a pilot. Thanks for info on skepticism, has interested me greatly. It is a shame but I feel the demographic of society, doesnt fit the demographic of dowsing, it would be nice to have a freeview channel dedicated to the unusual and spiritual, dowsing e.t.c I don't think there is such a thing at the mo. In fact, I wonder if there is a real opportunity for this, accepting the outside mainstream channels that already exist. Anyone know if this is possible, ?
ledgehammer

Postby Ian Pegler » Sat May 21, 2011 6:14 am

I just got an e-mail from John Baker confirming the date and time.

John Baker wrote:"I do my bit to confuse."

Mmmm...

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby ledgehammer » Sat May 21, 2011 7:23 am

Excellent, cannot wait! Just programmed a reminder into my keeper, sorry phone... 8)
ledgehammer

Postby Grahame Gardner » Sun May 22, 2011 2:54 pm

ledgehammer wrote: it would be nice to have a freeview channel dedicated to the unusual and spiritual,

Well, there is that new Freeview channel 'Daystar', which is entirely Christian-based broadcasting. If you've got the money, you can certainly get your own channel. Having your own satellite helps, too.
There was one of the home shopping-type channels (that I never watch so I can't tell you what it is) that had a psychic show on quite regularly, and I did see a psychic twirling a pendulum on it once.
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
Grahame Gardner
Site Admin

Re: John Baker on Impossible (UK Channel 5, June 2nd 10pm)

Postby arthur hamlin » Sun May 22, 2011 5:20 pm

Good points raised here, but feel we need to work harder at getting acceptance.
Of course the skeptics are having their day and wonder why before accepting a broadcasting/viewing slot we ought to be knowing who or what will represent the sceptic,so that we have enough requisite amo to leave us still standing with dignity and pride.
I firmly believe that dowsers are associating with an intelligence that overwhelmingly wishes us to be happy and well.
Also to promote wellness in others more than any other dowsing activity and as such believe that if we were to concentrate on this aspect and prove the success we had with both past and present experiences and to display this success with witnesses where possible than we would have a better balance when in the media.
I long to hail the Champion who can take us forward and to see our membership numbers rise.
I also believe that when we can start sensing better the various demised energy fields that surround us and to pray/give helpful aspirational thoughts/love for the improvement of that energy layout of that person with subsequent daily checks than there is a chance we can really make that progress.
But this requires a really good mind set with a winning technique as if this person you are helping is like a brother or sister.
As if their affected arm for instance is your arm etc.
Arthur
arthur hamlin

Postby simonwheeler » Sun May 22, 2011 7:22 pm

Arthur: we need to work harder at getting acceptance.
I long to hail the Champion who can take us forward and to see our membership numbers rise

Why? How is this sort of Evangelicalism appropriate?
Surely each one of us needs to get on and do what we do with an open mind and an open heart and do it openly....personal responsibility. The rest will follow- eventually.

(Just a thought.............!!!)
As we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

www.simongordonwheeler.co.uk

Simon
simonwheeler

Postby Helen-Healing » Sun May 22, 2011 8:45 pm

I spoke to John about this yesterday, at the London Dowsers meeting.

Apparently, when he signed the contract for the programme, it included the clause that he must not have seen the show before, and that he would not see it until the night that it was shown on TV! :shock: So he has no idea how he's come over, or what they have edited in/out!! I don't think I would sign a contract like that! Once all episodes of the show have finished, he'll be sent a DVD of it all, he said.

He did mention that what he did, he did wrong, and that they were delighted with this & asked whether he'd be willing to appear on other programmes!! Yeah - I bet they were!! :roll:
Helen-Healing

Next

Return to Dowsing in the Media