Llangollen's Holy Grail legend - new research

the place to post any media reports about dowsers and dowsing .

Re: Llangollen's Holy Grail legend - new research

Postby Ian Pegler » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:53 am

or it has some other meaning entirely

Other possible meanings of "hyrddin": mullet, ram (also ram figuratively speaking, in reference to a man)

William Owen Pugh in his dictionary of 1832 has "Hyrddin, a, (hwrdd) Of an impulsive nature".

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby Ian Pegler » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:55 am

from Project Eliseg...

Top News! Project Eliseg 3 for Summer 2012

Exciting new developments with Project Eliseg. We are back for a season 3 in the summer of 2012 with scheduled monument consent from Cadw and supported by funding from (among others) the Society of Antiquaries of London, the Cambrian Archaeological Association, the Prehistoric Society and the Universities of Bangor and Chester.

CLICK HERE for the article.

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby Ian Pegler » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:12 pm

An artistic envisioning of the Pillar, set to music...

ProjectEliseg - Film by Aaron Watson

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Pillar of Eliseg Open Day - Sept. 8th 2012

Postby Ian Pegler » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:37 am

from Bangor University...

Enigmatic Eliseg reveals its secrets

An Open Afternoon between 2-5 on Saturday 8 September will give the public an opportunity to find more about the third season of excavations at the Pillar of Eliseg, a ninth-century AD stone monument which stands on a prehistoric mound near Valle Crucis Abbey Llangollen, in north-east Wales. Archaeologists from Bangor and Chester Universities are returning to carry out a third season of excavations at the site between 26 August -16 September 2012.

CLICK HERE to read more.

RELATED THREAD

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby Ian Pegler » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:41 am

This year's open-day - details HERE

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby Ian Pegler » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:51 am

not really that relevant, but...

Llangollen Brewery Launches Holy Grail Of Ales

The award-winning Llangollen Brewery has created a new beer called Holy Grail Ale.

It’s been inspired by a local legend involving the great Cistercian abbey of Valle Crucis and Dinas Bran Castle, on the hilltop towering over the town.

According to the story, the castle is the final resting place for the Holy Grail, the cup that Christ drank from at the Last Supper and that there is a tunnel all the way down to the abbey below.

CLICK HERE for the article.

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Re: Pillar of Eliseg Open Day - Sept. 8th 2012

Postby Ian Pegler » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:52 pm

I was there; apparently a couple of other dowsers were there in the morning but we missed each other
(I was busy taking photos with my Oldfield filter in the abbey at the time). I met Joseph Tong though.

Nice to know somebody else went along too. This, as I understand it, will be the final time the archaeologists visit Eliseg's Pillar to excavate the mound.

A couple of images taken with my Oldfield filter at Valle Crucis (click to enlarge image).

More photos on my news-feed.

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Re: Pillar of Eliseg Open Day - Sept. 8th 2012

Postby ledgehammer » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:18 am

Ian Pegler wrote:I was there; apparently a couple of other dowsers were there in the morning but we missed each other
(I was busy taking photos with my Oldfield filter in the abbey at the time). I met Joseph Tong though.

Nice to know somebody else went along too. This, as I understand it, will be the final time the archaeologists visit Eliseg's Pillar to excavate the mound.

A couple of images taken with my Oldfield filter at Valle Crucis (click to enlarge image).

More photos on my news-feed.

Ian

Ian

nice photos :-)

Tom
The universe is a soul, trying to understand itself.... We each have the power to look inward at its immense beauty....
ledgehammer

Postby Ian Pegler » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:43 am

Thanks Tom

Here's an image of the largest cist discovered to date by Project Eliseg:

IT'S EMPTY.

transcribed from this YouTube video...

Prof Howard Williams wrote:they've excavated down ... into the cist material looking for another burial, looking for more cremated human material, maybe a nice tasty urn, maybe a skull or two but no, nothing has come up - a completely empty cist. What could that mean? Could it mean that the occupants of this cist never ended up using the burial in the first place? They dug the grave but never ended up putting human remains in it? Perhaps they put it in here but only as a temporary place for burial before taking the corpse or the ashes for interment else where. Perhaps the acidic conditions in this particular cist ate away all the bone leaving nothing, but most likely someone's been here rifling before us and they've ripped it all out like the antiquarians that they were! ...

Suddenly those old stories about antiquarian excavations take on a new meaning don't they?

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby Ian Pegler » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:39 am

Here's the link to the ProjectEliseg YouTube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ProjectElisegMedia

The Day 17 video seems a bit wonky, but it's clear that work on the cists is now over.

they've ripped it all out like the antiquarians that they were!

Thinking aloud: I wonder if any of those antiquarians were freemasons?

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby Ian Pegler » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:47 am

Season 3 is now over and the final video, for day 19 has been posted on the Project Eliseg channel (see previous post). The day 17 video has been re-posted as well.

So it looks as if the mound may be early Bronze Age - but are we being told everything? It seems that some of the archaeological evidence is more conspicuous through its absence!

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby Ian Pegler » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:49 pm

This film features Prof. Howard Williams from Project Eliseg and also Prof. Timothy Darvill (who gave a lecture at BSD Conference a couple of years back).

The Past in the Past

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby ledgehammer » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:49 pm

Ian, perhaps the cist was never intended for burial. That is. Assuming it hasn't been tampered with. As you say all a bit perculiar. Tom
The universe is a soul, trying to understand itself.... We each have the power to look inward at its immense beauty....
ledgehammer

Postby Ian Pegler » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:02 am

An interesting website:

www.gutorglyn.net

Guto'r Glyn was a mediaeval bard, closesly linked with Valle Crucis abbey. The Celtic Studies guys have spent five years translating all of his poems and it's all on this website along with a lot of historical information. The site is still a "beta version" so there are some missing links.

I noticed some slight differences between their translations and my own. From poem #105: (An Elegy to Robert Trevor)

Gŵr yw gyda Sain Greal
A’i le ’n nef a’i wely ’n Iâl.

which they translate as:

gutorglyn.net wrote:He is a man in the company of the Holy Grail
with his place in heaven and his resting place in Yale.

My own version:

Ian Pegler wrote:A man he is, with the Holy Grail,
And his place is in Heaven, and his grave is in Yale.

IMO, "in the company of" implies that the Grail is a conscious being and I doubt that they really intended to imply that..!

Yale is the name of the commote, i.e. it refers to Valle Crucis abbey, where Robert Trevor was buried.

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby Ian Pegler » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:04 pm

Ian Pegler wrote:Thinking aloud: I wonder if any of those antiquarians were freemasons?

Take a look at this YouTube video, especially at time = 4:22.

Did you notice the skull with the large flake of what appears to be gold leaf ??? And it's in a section of the documentary
concerning the freemasons!

More masonic synergy:

1) Rose Cross masons performed ceremonies at Valle Crucis in the 1950's as documented by the historian George Vernon
Price.

2) George Vernon Price was himself a freemason. He linked the abbey of Valle Crucis with the higher orders of masonry.

3) The skull and cross bones have been used in certain symbolic contexts by freemasons. For example they were used on
gravestones (there's an example of one of these in Llangollen churchyard).

4) The Bronze Age mound at the Pillar of Eliseg has an empty cist.

5) Apocryphal accounts suggest that a skull was retrived from the mound and gilded to "preserve it".

I put it to you, Mr. Jones and Mr. Tong, that perhaps there is the possibility that the skull was taken but NEVER replaced
and may even be still in use for masonic ceremonies? This would explain the empty cist, would it not?

P.S. Can anyone explain the large collection of Rennes le Chateau and Cathar history books in the local second hand
bookshop, nearly all of which are in French?

Parlez-vous Francais? You must be from Llangollen, mate...

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

PreviousNext

Return to Dowsing in the Media