Middle-aged 'have worst drink and drug problems'

Media reports and discussion on general health issues - conventional or alternative.

Postby Ian Pegler » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:15 am

from the BBC...

People in their 40s have the highest rates of hospital admissions for drug and alcohol abuse, a review says.

CLICK HERE to read the article.

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Re: Middle-aged 'have worst drink and drug problems'

Postby Helen-Healing » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:46 pm

120,000 out of 500,000 admissions? That's less than 25%. :| Tell us about the other 75%!

And if I had been classified as 'middle aged' in my forties - I would have given you a slap! :mrgreen:
Helen-Healing

Re: Middle-aged 'have worst drink and drug problems'

Postby ledgehammer » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:56 am

One of the main flaws of the NHS is the inability of it to pass down ethical costs away from the tax-payer. Repeat drinking and drug abuse needs to be handled better, speaking from someone who has had issues in the past.

For example in Sweden the a and e department charge the equivalent of £10 admission fee for certain admissions. If nothing else this money could be invested into real treatment of alcohol and drug abuse, meaning a better level of health for all concerned.

repeat binge drinking should be charged to the patients, it would mean a better level of care for everyone. Its about time we took accountability as a species, we have become far too tolerant and complacent. The laws around alcohol and drugs are tougher, surely this part holds the key in reducing?

Helen,

the statistics do seem a bit vague, it would be interesting to see the percentage of age groups treated, then compare this with the percentage of drink and drug problems.

best

Tom
The universe is a soul, trying to understand itself.... We each have the power to look inward at its immense beauty....
ledgehammer

Return to Health News & Media