Simon Singh threatened with legal action again

Media reports and discussion on general health issues - conventional or alternative.

Simon Singh threatened with legal action again

Postby Ian Pegler » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:52 am

from the Guardian...

Simon Singh threatened with legal action for criticising health magazine

Writing on Twitter, Singh accused WDDTY magazine of promoting health advice that could potentially harm readers

CLICK HERE to read the article.

RELATED THREAD

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Re: Simon Singh threatened with legal action again

Postby Ian Pegler » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:07 pm

A recent blog from Lynne McTaggart concerning the above:

I have not, ever, threatened Simon Singh with libel. I would not ever threaten anyone with libel. If I wanted to sue someone I would just do it, as I successfully did when a book of mine got plagiarized by a well-known author.

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Re: Simon Singh threatened with legal action again

Postby Ian Pegler » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:54 am

An interesting item from this week's Private Eye....(no 1325, picture of the BBC test card on the front cover). p.11.

LEGAL NEWS

For a self-styled "advocate for free speech", Simon Singh is spending a strange amount of time trying to silence others.

Singh won a justified libel victory in 2010 over the chiropractors (see Eyes passim), and now he claims he is again
on the receiving end of a libel threat. This time, however, his martyr status is on shakier ground.

In an attempt to get the alternative and complimentary health magazine What Doctors Don't Tell You off the shelves, he has been
haranguing Comag, its distributor (which circulates the Eye and many other well-known magazines), sending bumptious
emails because he disapproves of the magazine's "sensationalist and pseudoscientific " comments.

When Comag politely pointed out that it was not responsible for the content of magazines it distributes, Singh refused to accept this argument
and continued his campaign until an exasperated Comag said it had taken legal advice and would if necessary defend its reputation against anything
defamotory he might publish.

In focusing his attention on a magazine's distributor, Singh is starting down a path trodden by the likes of Robert Maxwell and Sir James
Goldsmith - hardly fitting company for the "advocate for free speech".

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Return to Health News & Media