Rollright Witch found?

for Archaeology news reports and discussions.

Rollright Witch found?

Postby simonwheeler » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:00 pm

Here is a link to an itv website story which is headlined:
Man discovers 1,400 year-old Saxon skeleton believed to be pagan witch

After removing over 6ft of soil, the metal detector enthusiast was stunned when they uncovered the skeleton of a Saxon woman who was between 4ft 11in and 5ft tall.

The remains have been dubbed 'Rita' after several items discovered with her led experts to believe she might the Rollright Witch.

According to the legend, a witch appeared at the site where the skeleton was found and turned a King and his four knights to stone, which now make up the Rollright Stones.
As we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

www.simongordonwheeler.co.uk

Simon
simonwheeler

Re: Rollright Witch found?

Postby Helen-Healing » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:14 am

A strange story. I'd have thought they'd have to dig much deeper than 6 feet if she'd been there for 1400 years.

He quickly realised he had uncovered a burial ground after spotting some hinges next to the patera

Hinges? Did they bury people in coffins with hinges 1400 years ago??
Helen-Healing

Postby Ian Pegler » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:31 am

Helen-Healing wrote:A strange story. I'd have thought they'd have to dig much deeper than 6 feet if she'd been there for 1400 years.

He quickly realised he had uncovered a burial ground after spotting some hinges next to the patera

Hinges? Did they bury people in coffins with hinges 1400 years ago??

Stone-hinge??

:lol: :oops:

I'll get me coat...

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby mike » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:59 pm

For my money Witch influence is still very strong at Long Compton just to the north of St Paul and St Peters Church at the river/dyke there, and just yards further north where the small side road is on the left, both places are very strong.I find NO EVIL, just the Nature Force of old,perhaps the influence lives on from the past, carried along by new people...The body found I dont think to be a Witch, no influence of other forces can be dowsed I believe, rest in peace now.
mike

Postby simonwheeler » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:38 pm

"Witch" does not equate to "evil" !
As we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

www.simongordonwheeler.co.uk

Simon
simonwheeler

Postby Helen-Healing » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:31 pm

simonwheeler wrote:"Witch" does not equate to "evil" !

But so many people still think so!
That is why I don't understand why modern followers of Wicca still want to call themselves witches.
Helen-Healing

Postby mike » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:49 pm

My understanding of Witches has been some were good and some were not, the time is long gone when you went to the local Witch for a potion to cure a pain or remove a wart, so the idea some were evil and made folk ill has to be taken with a pinch of salt.
mike

Postby mike » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:24 pm

Just remembered when I was clearing a Noxious Line close to where I now live I plotted the line across Coventry passing a house where a Witches tree was outside made in the form of coloured streamers and notes attached, and I know the people who live there dress very Flower Power sort of.I have to stop sometime and knock the door,Im sure my story would please them to know.Well perhaps not, but they look good folk who would help others,enough said. 8)

And now I remember reading about a house found that could have been from the past and might have been from the Pendleton Witches, I remember posting here anyone who visits NOT to take anything away with them, felt very strong about that at the time, but dont know why ?
mike

Return to Archaeology News & media