New v. large Henge found?

for Archaeology news reports and discussions.

New v. large Henge found?

Postby simonwheeler » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:50 am

As reported online by the Express
Historians believe Marden Henge in Wiltshire is the largest prehistoric circular monument in Britain and could be an "archaeological treasure-chest".

Dr Leary said: "Why Stonehenge was built remains a mystery.

"How the giant stones were transported almost defy belief.

"It must have been an astonishing, perhaps frightening, sight. "Using the latest survey, excavation and scientific techniques, the project will reveal priceless insight into the lives of those who witnessed its construction.

"Marden Henge is located on a line which connects Stonehenge and Avebury. "This poses some fascinating questions. "Were the three monuments competing against each other? Or were they used by the same communities but for different occasions and ceremonies? We hope to find out."

The project is a collaboration with Historic England, the Arts and Humanities Research Council and Wiltshire Museum.

Duncan Wilson, Historic England chief executive, said: "Bigger than Avebury, ten times the size of Stonehenge and half way between the Stonehenge and Avebury World Heritage Sites, comparatively little is known about this fascinating and ancient landscape.
As we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

www.simongordonwheeler.co.uk

Simon
simonwheeler

Re: New v. large Henge found?

Postby mike » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:52 pm

Just found this post, MUST be worth a Google Earth search tonight, if I can stay awake long enough, old age is bugging me, and it begs the question how much more remains hidden in this Sacred Land ??
mike

Postby Helen-Healing » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:00 pm

I just researched this henge on google, and see that it had few standing stones, if any, and could maybe be just the confines of a village, perhaps - they found some pottery remains. That's my take on it anyway. How can they compare this to Stonehenge or Avebury?
Helen-Healing

Postby EEL » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:20 am

I think that if I was involved in moving thousands of tonnes of stone and digging out 120, 000 cubic metres of chalk(Avebury) -I would need a nice safe enclosure to rest up in, especially if it had a decent sauna/sweatlodge.
EEL

Postby mike » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:30 pm

For my money just south of Wilsford is a place to dig and dowse about, something big with Sacred Land is active there and I date it as being 2600 years in existence, with Avebury and Stonehenge and Wilsford being a sort of triangle .Then what do I know. :lol:
mike

Return to Archaeology News & media