Oldest Human Footprints in North America Identified

for Archaeology news reports and discussions.

Oldest Human Footprints in North America Identified

Postby simonwheeler » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:07 pm

Story in "Western Digs"- click here.

A hunter-gatherer who trekked through a desert oasis a hundred centuries ago left the continent’s most lasting impression: the oldest known human footprints in North America.
There are only two of them — one left and one right — but the ancient traveler’s path through mineral-rich sediment in the Chihuahuan Desert allowed them to become enshrined in stone, and now dated, some 10,500 years later.
Fossil human footprints
These two human prints, originally discovered in 1961, have been dated to be about 10,550 years old. (Photo courtesy Arturo Gonzalez)
“To my knowledge the oldest human prints previously reported in North America are around 6,000 years old, so the … prints pre-date these by some 5,000 years,” said Dr. Nicholas Felstead, a geoarchaeologist at Durham University who led a new analysis of the prints.
As we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

www.simongordonwheeler.co.uk

Simon
simonwheeler

Re: Oldest Human Footprints in North America Identified

Postby mike » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:24 pm

Just seen this post and I would date the footprints at 11100 years old from the pictures, but I would imagine the native folk were here long before this time, its just a case of finding some proof.
mike

Return to Archaeology News & media