Channel 4 - Bligh Bond

for Archaeology news reports and discussions.

Channel 4 - Bligh Bond

Postby Ian Pegler » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:52 pm

Time Team's Tony Robinson is doing a programme on Frederick Bligh Bond, to be screened on Channel 4 at 9pm tonight (30th Dec 2008). The programme is called:

Tony Robinson and the Ghosts of Glastonbury

Could be interesting...

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Re: Channel 4 - Bligh Bond

Postby arthur hamlin » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:26 pm

Just wondering if there is any way in which I could procure copies of the Geo Phiz report on the area beyond the Edgar Chapel and to what depth the equipment was able to search?
It is here that information was given to me about the structures and goings on before and after the dissolution.
Quite interesting to see Tony try his hand at the automatic writing - never thought we would see that! I believe that if he continued there may well have been information worth following up.
Arthur
arthur hamlin

Postby Grahame Gardner » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:06 am

Quite interesting programme on the whole - I am actually impressed that Tony is willing to try things out rather than dismiss them out of hand. Shame there was no mention of Bond's dowsing experiments at the abbey though.
I don't know where you could get a copy of the geophysics charts, Arthur. Perhaps try writing to Channel 4? I've had a look on their website, but I can't find anything about the programme.
I was similarly impressed by Tony's attempts at automatic writing - he seemed to be getting quite strong responses with that.

Did anyone see the programme the night before about Helen Duncan? Despite the sceptics' best efforts to convince him that seances were all faked, Tony seemed quite impressed by some of the evidence, particularly the tales of ectoplasm. I've never been convinced that ectoplasm is a genuine manifestation, I think mainly because you never hear of anyone producing it these days, and it would be too easy to fake it up for the photographs of the time.
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
Grahame Gardner
Site Admin

Postby Paul Mellor » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:26 pm

I thought it funny that as it was effectivly Tony Robinsons programme he decided that the geo phys was correct and dismissed Blighs findings yet in Time Team all he does is take the mickey out of geo phys week after week!!
Paul Mellor
Paul Mellor

Postby arthur hamlin » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:45 pm

I believe the words of automatic writing taken down by Blyth Bond in his book `Gate of Remembrance` were too easily dimissed by the psychologist being interviewed by Tony Robinson. He said some of the words were out of time for the period when the so called monks and others came through.
Like dowsing it is easy to make mistakes especially when your own thoughts intrude.
I can only believe that when Blyth Bond was accompanied by his partner using hand on hand technique either could be responsible for intermitent lapses when words written were not of that time yet the vast majority were with the eventual discovery of the footings of the two chapels at Glastonbury Abbey as described in the automatic writings first.
Arthur
arthur hamlin

Postby Paul Mellor » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:29 am

I agree with you that the expert dismissed the writings too easily.One of the words that he picked on was balcony he said that this was a modern term, this word however comes from the Italian word balcone and there were certainly balcones all over Italy in this time period. The english equivalent around this time was the timbered houses with the external covered galleries.
Paul Mellor
Paul Mellor

Postby Ian Pegler » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:09 am

Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby Ian Pegler » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:34 pm

I've found the Bligh Bond/Tony Robinson video on YouTube...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65lM2bKoXD0

Ian
Last edited by Ian Pegler on Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby Ian Pegler » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:55 am

Article about Bligh Bond from the Bristol Post ...

ONE of the most mysterious, and least understood, tales from the West Country's spirit world, concerns a Bristol architect and Glastonbury Abbey.

CLICK HERE to read the article.

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby Ian Pegler » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:34 am

Commentary on Tony Robinson's automatic writing, by Jim Goddard...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4jXVX1tw-Q

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Return to Archaeology News & media