Birds Bathtime.

media reports from the scientific and natural world, not specifically about dowsing.

Re: Birds Bathtime.

Postby mike » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:03 pm

Coming out of our road yesterday I saw a Woodpecker on a lawn eating worms, you dont see many of these wild birds at all, they normally are hidden deep in the woods....May I ask all the good people who visit and enjoy these postings to try and feed the wild birds this Winter, in a safe place away from cats.A mixed corn feed or wheat or finch feed will keep them happy and able to stand the winter cold, I notice its already cold early mornings when I move about,so winter is coming fast now.
mike

Postby simonwheeler » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:41 pm

in a safe place away from cats

our bird feeders attract scores of sparrows, tits and finches. Which attract a sparrowhawk. This seems OK to me- Nature's way. "Domesticated cats" (no such thing according to recent scientific research) are, indeed, a different matter: if I see one I usually hiss and clap it away... :cry:
As we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

www.simongordonwheeler.co.uk

Simon
simonwheeler

Postby mike » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:06 am

Have to admit Im not a cat lover by nature Simon, but I wont see one suffer, and for many people they are a welcome pet and much loved.I like dogs better, they seem to me to be more my sort of pet, but to each his own.Its nature for cats to hunt and chase birds I know, but at the same time I dont encourage them to come in the garden where I have bird feeders, I try and not put temptation in their way and keep them low profile....I have noticed now the feeders are empty sooner in the week than during the Summer, and the birds are not so shy feeding, but eating good where they can and building fat up for the coming Winter. I have no problem putting food out all year round, in the Summer I slow down to a few times a week, but during the harder winter time I check them every day and top them up with all sorts of mixed corn and finch food, plus leave water out and the odd apple cut open....I take the view when I eat I make sure they have something to eat as well, if they want it,and seeing them up close is the reward, and the Blackbird singing from the roof top late evening when it comes visiting sometimes.Thinking about that I havent seen the Blackbird for some time now, or the female which used to visit, hope they are both okay ?
mike

Postby mike » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:54 am

I saw 3 Long Tailed Tits flying across the fields while I was out yesterday, they are so small yet have these wonderful long tails, nature puts on a show if you keep your eyes open folks,life is good when you see things like this.
mike

Postby mike » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:59 am

I remember some years ago sitting in my small room where I lodged, I looked across the fields near Stoke, and during 20 minutes I saw 67 Blackbirds all flying this same route across the fields all very low as the wind was strong.Never seen so many Blackbirds in the same position, I think they may have been on a sort of migration perhaps, all heading south during the approaching Winter months, but not something I am aware of ?
mike

Postby mike » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:27 pm

Watching Blue Planet on TV tonight I had to leave the room,some of those things just had me in tears, I cannot watch or see the damage we are doing to the planet without feeling remorse and feeling very bad,its life I know but you would not allow this in your living room, so why allow it in the oceans !!
mike

Postby mike » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:44 pm

Large Buzzard lifted off the fields and perched in the tree right to the side of the road as I passed, it just reminds me how the wild birds and animals find it very hard at Winter time, if you can afford it please buy some mixed corn or wheat or british finch seeds at the farm shop, and place it where it can be found and not where any cat can ambush the birds please...You dont need to feed wild birds in the Summer months, but now its getting very cold and all the wild birds and animals will not be able to find much to eat this weather.....Please think of the wild animals and birds,overday fruit of any kind placed in a safe place in the garden will help, a bowl of fresh water goes down a treat, when you eat think of those little chaps out in the garden and fields... :lol:
mike

Postby Helen-Healing » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:28 pm

I think we probably all feed the birds in the winter, Mike. No need to remind us! :mrgreen:
Helen-Healing

Postby simonwheeler » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:34 pm

I even feed the birds that feed the bird. We have a local sparrowhawk that patrols the fields and gardens around where I live. He has rich pickings from my garden! (emoji: Happy face or sad face?)
He is a beautiful bird that we get to see from just a few feet away.
As we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

www.simongordonwheeler.co.uk

Simon
simonwheeler

Postby mike » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:12 pm

Sorry chaps I keep prodding you all, I do every Winter always ask folks to remember the wild birds, its something close to my heart, Im playing catch up for bad things I have done in my life like wild fowling, which I regret more and more the older I get....I should have gone the clay pigeon route and not the live bird route, then I would not feel so bad.
mike

Postby mike » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:07 pm

Seen any number of Crows today, but none of them with the deformed leg, I really want to see my friend again over the Slough Park, its been far too long now, and I am thinking the worse.
mike

Postby mike » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:34 pm

The Blackbird I had in my garden all the Summer has come back again, Im sure its the same bird as it searches all the places where the other bird used to look.The wild birds scatter corn around the bird feeders, and he looks around these places to see whats been dropped, and I dont think any new Blackbird would suss that out on its first visit ? I havent seen the female yet, but the male Blackbird was outside today checking out the feeders for scraps left behind.....Begs the question where did it go for the last couple of months,did it venture out to another site or did it migrate somewhere just for a short time, these birds do seem to disappear each year around Oct/Nov for a good while, only to return like they have never been away. 8)
mike

Postby mike » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:13 pm

REALLY REALLY good day today,at 13.41 hours today I saw my friend the Crow with the deformed leg fly across the road where I was driving near the Slough Park Bell Green.Its leg is fully frozen complete with ankel and toes straight down, so its very unique to see, and I dont know of another wild bird to suffer this, just how it compeats with other birds for food is a mystery, I believe it HAS to do things out of the box to manage, like wait for good people to feed the Swans, and grab some food fast before they can get it near the lake....I have been in a dark place for a week now, but it happens every Christmas for me because of circumstances, and I just try and put a smile on my face and work through it every year.But that Crow has lifted me no end, it was special and someone up there is thinking of me, and it means the world. :lol:
mike

Previous

Return to Science & Nature