Birds Bathtime.

media reports from the scientific and natural world, not specifically about dowsing.

Re: Birds Bathtime.

Postby mike » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:47 am

Think I have mentioned this before, when it was hot like yesterday, and the birds in the garden sun bathing.I sat in the garden just watching the sky for anything, and I noticed a Blackbird sitting at the end of the garden with its wings and tail spread right out like a fan in the Sun, it was Sun Bathing.It remained there for at least ten minutes without moving, and all the while I watched it it just had it beak open drawing in air to chill it I think, like a dog pants.....And last night I remembered a thing that happened many years ago,when I was young and good looking and single, its one of those myths you read about, but I was witness to this one.We had a an old farmhouse rented on the River Bure a short distance from Acle in Norfolk, and I spent a lot of time there fishing by the river when I was not working.And this one day I shot a Jackdaw in the field close to the house, its something now I would not think of doing, but at the time it was sport and now I really regret that period of my life.Anyway I was behind the barn and was watching for anything else coming close, and while I had a loaded gun in my hands, the entire field was covered in less than three minutes with Rooks and Crows and Jackdaws as far as you could see.The entire area was clear one minute, then afterwards it became covered with birds all around the body of the Jackdaw I had shot, it was really amazing to see all these birds appear as if out of nowhere, a JACKDAWS FUNERAL for sure...I felt so bad afterwards seeing this, knowing those birds had respected the life of the Jackdaw enough to fly from miles away to pay their respects where it died, and also HOW did they know.It was not long after that I took up Clay Pigeon shooting, after the experience I felt so bad killing birds and animals that I thought had no feelings, how wrong I was.
mike

Postby mike » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:40 pm

I just know Im not going to sleep well tonight, I passed a squib thats a baby tame pigeon on the road near Bell Green Shopping area and I never picked it up.Now all night I will be wondering if its okay, I should have stopped and moved it, but in those circumstances you dont know what to do for the best.Most squibs that leave the nest early will die, but often they manage to stay alive long enough to gain flight and keep clear of cats and traffic, so thats what Im hoping for.Even now I want to drive over and see if its still there, someone might see it and move it away from the road more, I hope so, I hate to think I left it to die.
mike

Postby mike » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:25 pm

Sitting in the garden watching two Wood Pigeons sharing a bird feeder when a Buzzard came low over the bungalows, they grunted and both shot away in different directions, talk about duck and dive..The Blackbird with those distinct white markings I havent seen since that day, each time I pass that way I look for it, but have only seen ordinary Blackbirds in the area.So whats happened I dont know, perhaps its been killed by a cat or hit on the roads,I dont know, but fingers crossed its alive and well still.
mike

Postby mike » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:08 pm

Taking hundreds of pictures like I do every day its often the case when a high fying Buzzard will pass overhead and get star place in one of my pictures...But a couple of days ago I got a photo of a Perigrine Falcon shooting past my home, with its wings just open in a power dive to catch a bird east of me. I never saw the bird first to last but its just feet above me in this power dive just over the roof tops, very exciting picture. :shock:
mike

Postby mike » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:26 pm

Driving about I have seen a few Buzzards but they have all been single birds, this is a worry as most often you see the bonded pair hunting and soaring high above the fields.I hope perhaps the mother bird is hatching a chick, with dad bring back a snack now and then for mum....Its a wonderful sight to see a pair of Buzzards passing a tit bit between them high in the sky, its a bonding thing where the male turns on his back to pass some food to the female above him.You dont get that much with people, its a bag of chips and curry sauce mate, if your lucky . 8)
mike

Postby mike » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:49 am

Nothing says its summer more to me than hearing and watching Swallows pass over the house catching flies and bugs and chattering away, they dart left and right and always are on the move for the next winged meal....I remember a very long while ago when I was walking along the Fleet Dyke at Cobholm Gt Yarmouth, like I did every day during the school holidays almost, and I saw a drowned Swallow right in the middle of the deep Fleet Dyke.It seemed such a waste of a beautiful life of this wild bird, and I wondered how it had come to drown so far from the bank,perhaps trying to get a drink on a very hot day.That picture has never left me even after 60 years,such a beautiful bird to die in such a manner, getting a drink on a hot day.such a waste, but nature can be so cruel sometimes.
mike

Postby mike » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:37 pm

Two days ago I saw a Buzzard lift something like a rabbit that was very heavy off the fields and fly low away trying to gain height, only seen the single bird for a while now, and no pairs hunting together, hope everything is well with its mate ? I saw a Blue Jay flying high over the trees which you DONT normally see often, they always remain well hidden and keep to the tree line most times.
mike

Postby mike » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:31 pm

Saw two Buzzards today very close to the road while driving about, both single birds hunting, and I was wondering why they were alone and not with its mate, lets hope she is well and looking after a baby chick....I watched pictures of a Pine Marten somewhere in Yorkshire roaming around the woods,they are very rare and only just been reported/sighted.But with the Grouse Moors a short distance away I imagine every game keeper will be watching for them now as well,and wont have a high regard for them at all like the public.Pity they never reported the sighting at all, as this will now increase the chances of them being killed out of hand to protect the Pheasants and Grouse, rare or not they are at risk.
mike

Postby mike » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:29 pm

Saw a young Heron flying over Bedworth today, it was small and must have been a this Summers baby, and very nice sight in the Sun....I love the sound of Swallows passing over head chattering away as they do, for me its Summer when they dance about in the sky catching bugs,my back stops hurting and life is good again. 8)
mike

Postby mike » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:07 pm

All day today I have seen 4 Buzzards where I was at the time, BUT only 3 ufos in my pictures. :mrgreen:
mike

Postby mike » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:30 pm

VERY upsetting yesterday, I ran over a Squirrel in the car, and never had any chance to avoid it or swerve, it just appeared to my right out of the corner of my eye, just before I felt the bump.It could not have suffered at all, it was gone in a part second, a direct hit.What has left me feeling terrible was I had direct eye to eye contact with the Squirrel just before I hit it, and that look will never ever leave me,another bad memory to carry, and I have enough already.

Very few Swallows left now, and no Swifts that I can remember this week gone, Summer for me is over now,and my little friends are off to Africa yet again.Seen a few Buzzards this week close, they look so large when they fly just over the road in front of you at 20 feet up.
mike

Postby mike » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:16 pm

I travel the same road often where I killed the Squirrel last week, but today a Buzzard flew very low over my car at the same point where I hit the Squirrel, and it sort of made me feel its okay and the Squirrel is happy where it is now, its lifted a cloud off me.
mike

Postby mike » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:16 pm

Today I drove down my daughters road and on one house was 4 Crows all on the roof, WITH 4 Magpies all in the front garden getting spiders and things, now who needs binoculars.And tonight just before it was getting dark a Buzzard passed right over me looking left and right for an evening meal. :lol:
mike

Postby mike » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:18 pm

I spent some time near the Slough Park in Coventry today looking for my friend the Crow with the deformed leg, but no sign of it at all, I do hope its well and not dead, it cannot be easy for any bird with only one leg in the wild.I did not see it for over a year in the past end of the summer, so Im hoping it will return from where ever it is to feed in the park again, and put my mind at rest over it.
mike

Postby mike » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:00 pm

I have a link with Buzzards somehow, every time I spend time outside you can bet one will pass me close enough for us both to stand and stare at each other for a moment as it passes.I well remember the day a good friend Paul Vigay died,three Buzzards passed so close to me all in line one after the other across the fields very low, and I thought which one was Paul now free and soaring high and low at will in the sky, something I would love to do.
mike

PreviousNext

Return to Science & Nature