BSD Congress Weekend 2007

Announcements, questions, and your thoughts and reminiscences on the annual BSD Conference.

BSD Congress Weekend 2007

Postby William Holding » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:14 am

Hi all.

I would like to extend my thanks for a fantastic weekend of dowsing theory and practical exercises.
There were no shortages of the highest standard of lecturers. Well done all.

I would like also to thank all the staff of the BSD for providing an excellent and professional shop and to Patrick, John, and all the others in the background for keeping the wheels moving all weekend.

And to all the dowsers who could not attend this year, make it your priority for 2008. It is worth every penny!

Bill.

The Ridings Dowsers.
William Holding

Thanks

Postby Ian Pegler » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:24 pm

Thanks William, I have forwarded your comments to the office!

cheers

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby Grahame Gardner » Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:29 pm

Thanks for the kind comments, Bill. It's always nice to know that efforts are appreciated. Personally I thought it was a great congress this year - nice location, comfortable venue, good food, inspirational speakers and excellent workshops. I think my only complaint was about the abysmal quality of the coffee!
It was also a great thrill for me to meet Paul Devereux and Tom Graves, both of whom have been great influences over the years.

It is a shame that we still only seem to attract something like 10% of the total membership to these events; I feel it is really important that we continue to run a Congress as it is the highlight of the dowsing year for many, as well as being an ideal opportunity to meet other dowsers and members and to hear top class speakers that you won't get otherwise. But they do take a great deal of organisation, and if we can't attract more people to them they are going to become too expensive for us to run. We've yet to analyse the figures for this year's event, but I know that on the 2006 Congress we only just managed to break even. I don't know if there is a solution to this - perhaps those who didn't attend this year could tell us why they didn't come - was it the timing, the location, the cost...?
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
Grahame Gardner
Site Admin

Great Congress

Postby Ian Pegler » Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:37 am

Grahame Gardner wrote:Thanks for the kind comments, Bill. It's always nice to know that efforts are appreciated. Personally I thought it was a great congress this year - nice location, comfortable venue, good food, inspirational speakers and excellent workshops. I think my only complaint was about the abysmal quality of the coffee!

I've got no complaints - I didn't drink the coffee! :wink:

Seriously, it was a great congress. The venue in particular was better in pretty much every respect. We had some great speakers although I missed Pauline's sense of humour.

It was also a great thrill for me to meet Paul Devereux and Tom Graves, both of whom have been great influences over the years.

I've got Paul's Places of Power, Earth Memory, Earth Lights etc. as well as a couple of Tom Graves including a 1st edition of Needles of Stone (which has a painting by Paul Devereux on the front jacket) - now autographed by Tom G!

It says:

for Ian at BSD Moreton 2007 don't let the stones get too stoned, y'hear?

:lol:

Paul didn't talk a lot about dowsing and I wonder what his take on it is? Tom's criticisms of the Fountain group in Australia were pretty forthright. I think I agreed with him too. Paul makes reference to "grown up" Earth Mysteries and I wonder if some might take offense?

perhaps those who didn't attend this year could tell us why they didn't come - was it the timing, the location, the cost...?

Someone told me that the thought the word "congress" sounded too formal and nearly put her off coming last year.

Location and cost are definitely factors, I think.

It was good to see some young faces there this year!

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

BSD Conference 2007

Postby arthur hamlin » Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:11 pm

Thank you Ian and Graham for your comments on the BSD Conference this year.
I agree that the location and accomodation was good especially being close to the Rollrights, though the 10% attendance of the total membership leaves much to think about.
Although I am pleased to see the many new faces present I am also concerned about the many faces previously known who were not there, and wonder why! With respect it is one thing to say that many more have joined this year but how many have gone out the other end!
It appears that the various locations in the past have not made much difference to the numbers attending, but consider a 50/75 mile radius around Northampton ideal.
As you say the timing plus costs could be the deciding factor for many.
Even if it has been done in the past I would suggest that a questionnaire be sent to all members with the next journal requesting a feed back on location, timing and costs plus subjects discussed and types of workshops preferred.
Arthur
arthur hamlin

Re: BSD Conference 2007

Postby Grahame Gardner » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:09 am

arthur hamlin wrote:Although I am pleased to see the many new faces present I am also concerned about the many faces previously known who were not there, and wonder why! With respect it is one thing to say that many more have joined this year but how many have gone out the other end!

A topic that is always the minds of Council, Arthur. The two figures have been roughly in balance for some time, but I'm glad to say that just in the last year or so we have been seeing a gradual increase in membership, and (as of Congress) we're now just pushing the 1500 mark. Personally, I think this is largely due to the success of the BSD training curriculum, although the current special discount on first year's membership has undoubtedly helped as well. Let's hope this trend continues!

arthur hamlin wrote:I would suggest that a questionnaire be sent to all members with the next journal requesting a feed back on location, timing and costs plus subjects discussed and types of workshops preferred.

Every conference pack included just such a questionnaire that people were asked to hand in before they left. I must confess that I didn't return mine as a left from the Rollrights and didn't return to Moreton... :oops:
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
Grahame Gardner
Site Admin

Postby arthur hamlin » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:36 pm

Thank you Grahame.
If you re -call the questionnaire given out related to the immediate events/etc of the congress. Those not attending would not have that experience to be able to complete the forms.
I believe it would be helpful all round if we knew the thinking of those who did not attend so that future congresses could be more geared to their needs. in order to improve on the numbers attending.
An explanation sheet could show(without names written) all the reasons why members did not attend.
Arthur
arthur hamlin

Postby Helen-Healing » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:25 pm

I was slightly put off by two things.

One - the cost.

Two - I'm a 'newbie' to serious dowsing, & I felt (after reading these forums) that most of what would be talked about or discussed would go right over my head!

I need to learn more before attending a conference. :oops:
Helen-Healing

Postby Paul Collett » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:37 pm

It's a real shame that you feel put off by the thought that things will be over your head. This was my first Congress after two years of BSD membership and I enjoyed it thoroughly.
I am sure you will find that you will get a very warm welcome at all kinds of Society events, together with practical help and encouragement. I always have.
Paul Collett
Paul Collett

Postby Grahame Gardner » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:48 am

I finally managed to get around to uploading a few piccys of the event...

Our illustrious director, John Moss, looking very dapper in his suede jacket:

Tom Graves relaxing in the bar - I so want that T-shirt!! :)

Tom's workshop using the labyrinth as a metaphor for the skills learning process:

Paul Devereux leading the field trip to the Rollright Stones:
Grahame
Grahame Gardner
Site Admin

Postby Helen-Healing » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:14 am

I so want that T-shirt!!

If you can get the logo on computer, and go here,
you can have one of your very own!! :wink:
Helen-Healing

Gimme gimme!!

Postby Ian Pegler » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:49 am

I want piccies for the congress report!! Send 'em in to the office if you've got any good 'uns!!!

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby Grahame Gardner » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:23 am

I've already sent all mine into the office, Ian.
Grahame
Grahame Gardner
Site Admin

Postby mermaid » Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:42 am

Hello,

Just wanted to say how fantastic congress was, I could only make the Saturday but was so sad to have to leave at the end of the day, I will be booking for the whole weekend next year. I think the price is fair, the facilities great and the people so friendly.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to the event.

Best wishes

Mermaid
mermaid

Return to BSD Conference