N'kisi the telepathic parrot

Announcements, questions, and your thoughts and reminiscences on the annual BSD Conference.

N'kisi the telepathic parrot

Postby Grahame Gardner » Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:20 am

If you saw Dr. Rupert Sheldrake's talk at Congress, I hope you were as impressed as I was with the video of N'kisi, the African Grey parrot that has a language of around 1200 words and seems to be telepathic.
His owner, Aimee Morgana, has a page about the experiments on her website, and down at the bottom of the page there's a link to a sound file of the parrot speaking.
It's remarkable enough that a parrot can have this sort of linguistic ability, never mind being telepathic as well!
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
Grahame Gardner
Site Admin

Re: N'kisi the telepathic parrot

Postby Ian Pegler » Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:52 am

Grahame Gardner wrote:If you saw Dr. Rupert Sheldrake's talk at Congress, I hope you were as impressed as I was with the video of N'kisi, the African Grey parrot that has a language of around 1200 words and seems to be telepathic.

If only I was as telepathic as N'kisi. Then I could understand what "birds" want! :wink: :lol:

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby Helen-Healing » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:51 pm

I've only just seen this thread - yeah, I know, it's 2 years old! :roll:

I had an African grey for years when I lived in Spain, and I can confirm that they are really extraordinary birds. It's not just a matter of copying voices with them - they know what's going on!! :shock: And they create & 'talk about' scenarios that are all their own!! Incredible.

I have loads of curious stories about mine, but I won't bore you all with them here.
Helen-Healing

Postby arthur hamlin » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:16 pm

I heard Rupert Sheldrake when he gave his talk at Conference a couple of years back and find myself disagreeing with his theories on the talking ability and language memory of the african grey parrot.
My dowsing tells me that the physical owner plays a 25% to 50% part in the parrots ability to talk whereas it is the spirit guide of that parrot (being another african grey parrot) who being in spirit has advanced way beyond his physical counterpart and is able to have this telepathic contact which we are so amazed to experience at a physical level.
Arthur
arthur hamlin

Postby Helen-Healing » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:13 pm

Have you ever shared your home with an African grey, Arthur?
Helen-Healing

Postby simonwheeler » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:58 am

Sorry if I appear to take this off at a tangent...but I am interested in what Arthur says here:
the spirit guide of that parrot (being another african grey parrot) who being in spirit has advanced way beyond his physical counterpart

Why does a parrot need a spirit guide? What/where is the parrot being guided to? The parrot in spirit- in what ways is it more advanced and to where is it advancing? Do all animal species have individual spirit guides? Including, say, insects?

And Helen,
I have loads of curious stories about mine, but I won't bore you all with them here.

Who says we'd be bored? I, for one, would be interested to hear at least one or two. The only time I've "met" an African grey was when a stray one (!!) landed in the playground of a school where I was on duty one lunchtime. A colleague of mine who was an obsessive twitcher and bird-watcher eventually caught the bird - but it seemed to be teasing him and taunting him during the (long) process. It was fun to watch- especially for the children.
As we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

www.simongordonwheeler.co.uk

Simon
simonwheeler

Postby Ian Pegler » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:07 am

arthur hamlin wrote:I heard Rupert Sheldrake when he gave his talk at Conference a couple of years back and find myself disagreeing with his theories on the talking ability and language memory of the african grey parrot.
My dowsing tells me that the physical owner plays a 25% to 50% part in the parrots ability to talk whereas it is the spirit guide of that parrot (being another african grey parrot) who being in spirit has advanced way beyond his physical counterpart and is able to have this telepathic contact which we are so amazed to experience at a physical level.
Arthur

But then the parrot would still need to be telepathic in order to contact his spirit guide. Also, this assumes that the parrot spirit guide could have a telepathic connection with the physical parrot's owner. I am inclined to apply Occam's razor.

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby arthur hamlin » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:18 pm

Okay, No I have not owned, borrowed or been in the company of an african grey parrot for more than 5 minutes what I remember, but can appreciate the talent this bird has.
What I should have said which my dowsing is telling me is that:-
The physical Parrot has a spirit friend in another african grey.
The human owner of the physical parrot has a human spirit guide or spirit friend if you prefer.
The talent of the physical parrot is made known because it has telepathic contact with its spirit counterpart. In turn the spirit counterpart has telepathy with the human spirit guide of the physical owner of the parrot. Remember there are four intelligencies at work here causing a chain re-action.
So in reverse but the right way round - the physical human owner will mutter something to the physical parrot. This will not have immediate effect for repetition by the parrot , as this muttering will than go to the spirit guide of the human who will in turn mutter in telepathic form to the spirit counterpart of the parrot who in turn mutters telepathically to the physical parrot .
This might be for arguments sake `Who`s a pretty boy` to which the physical parrot will repeat because that unseen parrot has just said so. Dare I say `Parrot Fashion` :lol:
C`mon you dowsers tell me what your getting?
Arthur
arthur hamlin

Postby Helen-Healing » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:41 am

That sounds an awfully complicated system to me, Arthur! :mrgreen:

My African grey shared my life when I had two young children & was living in Spain. He was bi-lingual, naturally! An anecdote....(one of many!)...

It was springtime (this is relevant!) & my cat had had (yet another) batch of kittens. One morning I was having a coffee on the patio & Policarpo (yes really! :lol: ) was also there in his cage. One of the female kittens strolled out of the front door onto the patio. Policarpo immediately jumped down to the bottom of the cage, glared at the kitten & announced "pssst! sit down!!" He repeated this a couple of times, until the kitten - quite astonished at this - actually sat down in front of the cage! I was watching this interaction with huge interest, as you can imagine!! The parrot then began to walk round in circles with head bent down to one side - first one way then the other!! It was a most elaborate display & must have been some kind of mating performance - due to the lack of female parrots in his vicinity, he must have decided that a cat would do!! The kitten watched this for about 5 minutes then, getting bored, got up & strolled off. "Psst! Come here!!" the parrot shrieked a couple of times, but to no avail. He then got the hump & went back up on his perch, filled with unrequited love! :mrgreen:

I was gobsmacked, I can tell you. A little later another kitten - a boy - emerged from the house, & although I held my breath...this scenario didn't happen again. This is absolutely true & quite extraordinary.

He also seemed to know a lot of the time what I was thinking, & would say something before I did. He could speak in my voice, my ex-hubs', & both my kids' voices. The latter used to get ex-hubs' subsequent girlfriend (after I moved out) hysterical - hearing the kids & myself talking all the time!! :lol: :twisted:
Helen-Healing

Postby Ian Pegler » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:18 am

arthur hamlin wrote:Okay, No I have not owned, borrowed or been in the company of an african grey parrot for more than 5 minutes what I remember, but can appreciate the talent this bird has.
What I should have said which my dowsing is telling me is that:-
The physical Parrot has a spirit friend in another african grey.
The human owner of the physical parrot has a human spirit guide or spirit friend if you prefer.
The talent of the physical parrot is made known because it has telepathic contact with its spirit counterpart. In turn the spirit counterpart has telepathy with the human spirit guide of the physical owner of the parrot. Remember there are four intelligencies at work here causing a chain re-action.
So in reverse but the right way round - the physical human owner will mutter something to the physical parrot. This will not have immediate effect for repetition by the parrot , as this muttering will than go to the spirit guide of the human who will in turn mutter in telepathic form to the spirit counterpart of the parrot who in turn mutters telepathically to the physical parrot .
This might be for arguments sake `Who`s a pretty boy` to which the physical parrot will repeat because that unseen parrot has just said so. Dare I say `Parrot Fashion` :lol:
C`mon you dowsers tell me what your getting?
Arthur

My point was, it doesn't matter how many intelligences there are in the chain. If the parrot can communicate telepathically with it's 'spirit guide' then it's telepathic, in which case, why can't it link telepathically with its owner?

At some point there has to be a human-to-parrot telepathy for this to work, either in this realm or in the spirit realm. You don't get around this problem by having more links in the chain.

I dowsed and asked "do animals have spirit guides?" and got a 'no', though probably not surprising as spirit guides, as I mentioned elsewhere, are not part of my belief-system.

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby arthur hamlin » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:32 pm

Helen,
Thats sounds like a very intelligent parrot, but believe the bit where he says `pssst, sit down` and `psst, come here` to the kitten, was being relayed from the spirit parrot friend who was with him using telepathy.

Ian,
My dowsing is saying that telepathy occurs only between the physical parrot and its spirit counterpart, but is unable to make contact with either the physical human owner or any human spirit by telepathy or visa versa.
I am further told that telepathic contact is possible between the spirit parrot and any human spirit or visa versa.
Not so much links in the chain I feel as cross species contact difficulties, but not so if both are discarnate I`m told.
I am not suprised you got a no to animals having spirit guides, especially as this concept does not go with your belief system. Just wondering whether you meant Birds not Animals?
But I have seen extras on photographs showing animals.
Arthur
arthur hamlin

Return to BSD Conference