Search Engine bots

Where to find forum tutorials, ask questions about technical issues etc.

Search Engine bots

Postby Ian Pegler » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:09 am

A question:

Do search-engine-bots affect the number of views of a particular thread, or is the system clever enough to recognise search-engine-bot views and ignore them?

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Re: Search Engine bots

Postby Grahame Gardner » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:38 am

Blimey, that's a good question, Ian. They certainly affect the overall visitor numbers; not sure about individual thread counts though. Can't find anything obvious in the admin files, but if I find anything I'll let you know.
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
Grahame Gardner
Site Admin

Re: Search Engine bots

Postby simonwheeler » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:02 pm

If you have a sitetracker/counter (such as Googleanalytics or Statcounter) is it not possible to see when a bot has crawled the site - and the path? And the path would show the thread, surely? In which case it would be possible for the administrator to see where the bot had picked up...but not forum users....unless you make the site stats accessible to users- which is possible I believe.
As we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

www.simongordonwheeler.co.uk

Simon
simonwheeler

Return to Forum matters