Spam from dowsers

Where to find forum tutorials, ask questions about technical issues etc.

Spam from dowsers

Postby Ian Pegler » Fri May 18, 2007 7:26 am

I have recently been on the receiving end of some e-mails from dowsers, the nature of which leads me to label it as SPAM or CHAIN E-MAILS.

It seems that there are dowsers out there who are trying to spread the word about some particular cause close to their hearts.

However, rather than discuss this cause on a forum like this one they are indulging in practices that amount to a breach of netiquette.

Netiquette is the term for "internet ettiquette", i.e. the do's and don't of how to behave on the internet.

To cut to the chase, I don't like having my e-mail address abused in this way. Just because you're not selling anything, does not mean that it isn't spam.

Any e-mail that requests the recipient to "spread the word" by forwarding it is a chain e-mail, and this is a breach of netiquette. Just because I'm a dowser does not necessarily mean that I'm interested in the particular things that interest you.

So don't do it. If you've got a cause relevant to dowsers and you want to spread the word, post in the relevant section of this forum. Don't send bulk e-mails to people on the grounds that they label themselves as a 'dowser'. This is a broad term.

Thankyou for your time

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby Grahame Gardner » Fri May 18, 2007 7:51 am

Can't say that I've been getting dowsing-related spam (although I do get tons of generic spam daily), so I don't think it's coming via this forum Ian; but I agree absolutely that chain emails are a major annoyance, even the seemingly innocuous ones of the 'have a nice day' or bogus 'warning - virus alert' variety. This sort of traffic really clogs up the internet and you should never forward such stuff.
I use McAfee Spamkiller to cope with most of it, and it works reasonably well most of the time. I do still have to have a quick glance through the spam folder before deletion to make sure it hasn't removed a genuine email, which it does from time to time, and I still haven't got rid of the three Spamkiller-related error messages that pop up every time I start Outlook, but I'm still glad that I have it.
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
Grahame Gardner
Site Admin

Chain email

Postby Ian Pegler » Sat May 26, 2007 6:17 am

Nevertheless this might be a good place to bring the subject up. Dowsers need to know about the do's and don't's on the internet and need to be aware of the risks involved in forwarding chain e-mail.

Personally I never forward chain e-mail, because I don't want my e-mail address ending up on some list used by spammers and scammers. For the very same reason I don't like to receive it from others.

The following information is from http://www.breakthechain.org/:

Don't want the junk! If you forward chain letters, stop! If others send them to you, stop them! The more junk you send, the more you will get. Sending or receiving chain letters increases your exposure to spam, scams and other junk mail.

E-mail was designed primarily for person-to-person communication. It was never intended to be used as a broadcast medium to spread information to many people at once and is seriously flawed when used this way.

The speed, ease and relative anonymity of of the internet causes people to act differently online than they would in real life. Traditionally accepted social protocols are often ignored.

E-mail chain letters pose significant privacy and security risks to the people who send and receive them; their friends, families and employers; and the organizations and individuals frequently named in them.

It is the responsibility of the sender, not the recipient, to check facts before passing information on. Given proper insights and resources, every e-mail user can and should make logical and informed decisions about what to forward and what to delete.

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby Grahame Gardner » Mon May 28, 2007 11:46 am

I've moved this to the Forum Matters section as it's not really about dowsing.

Having just returned from a couple of days away, I find there were 22 new registrations on the forum of which two were genuine and the rest spammers.
All rather tedious.

It's also worth mentioning that if you are sending an email to several people, you should always use the 'BCC' (Blind Carbon Copy) field and not the 'To' field to enter the email addresses. This stops all the email addresses being displayed on the recipients' email. This is a surprisingly common mistake, and I've had several important emails from people or organisations who really should know better that display all the email addresses in the 'To' field. This is a ready-made list for spammers.

The rule of thumb is; If you must send to more than one person, always use the BCC field unless all parties are known to one another. You can enable the BCC field in Outlook from the 'view' menu in the email.
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
Grahame Gardner
Site Admin

Postby Grahame Gardner » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:33 am

It has been brought to my attention that a new member of the forum, who has not even had the good grace to make any postings yet, has been directly emailing members trying to interest them in some dowsing-related money-making scheme.
This is completely unacceptable behaviour on any forum.

Our apologies if you've received an email from this person. He has now been banned from the forum until such time as he explains his actions to me in a satisfactory manner.
Grahame
Grahame Gardner
Site Admin

Postby Grahame Gardner » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:42 pm

Apology has been received, and the member in question has been un-banned.
Grahame
Grahame Gardner
Site Admin

Return to Forum matters