Calling all Affiliated Local Groups!

Where to find forum tutorials, ask questions about technical issues etc.

Should Affiliated Local Groups have their own forum section?

I am a member of an ALG and I think this is a good idea
50%
I am a member of an ALG and I do not think it's a good idea
10%
I'm not a member of an ALG, but I like the idea.
30%
I'm not a member of an ALG, but I do not think this is a good idea.
10%

Total votes : 10

Calling all Affiliated Local Groups!

Postby Grahame Gardner » Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:28 am

As part of our continuing attempts to increase contact with BSD Affiliated Local Groups (ALG's), I'm toying with the idea of setting up a dedicated section in the forum for use of ALG's to chat, post announcements about local events, and so on. Within this there would be sub-forums for any group that requests it; these can be moderated by a nominated person from that group. These sections can be made private for members of that particular group if preferred.

Trouble is, I have no idea how many users of this forum are also members of Local Groups. We may not have enough LG users yet to warrant this step.

If you are such, and think this is a good idea, please vote in the poll (you can also post a reply to this thread if you have any other suggestions). Please tell your group at your next meeting and see how they feel about the idea, then report back here with your feedback.
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
Grahame Gardner
Site Admin

Re: Calling all Affiliated Local Groups!

Postby Dragon » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:33 pm

I am a member of two local affiliated groups, and although I think it would be a good idea, many other members have never logged on to the BSD website never mind the Forum, so I think they would probably not use their own site. Afterall, I've only just got my head together enough to join this forum and I consider myself to be reasonably computer literate! There are a lot of eldery folk I know in both groups who would throw their hands up in dismay about anything to do with computers never mind forums!

As a co-organiser of one of the groups, I would be quite happy to post our events on such a page, but there's no point if no one is going to read 'em!!

Peace Profound
Dragon
Peace Profound
Dragon

Mind like parachute - work better when open! - Confucious
Dragon

Postby Ian Pegler » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:00 am

I'm a member of a local group and I voted yes. I think that this would be a good idea provided that local group members don't air "dirty laundry" in public !

I think on the whole it's a good idea because it centralises things on one website and would be better used and maintained and would get more visitors. We had a forum on our local group website and no-one was using it because there's not enough computer-literate dowsers in one local group. It would be great to be able to talk about the positive things that are going on a local level on a site that has more visitors than our local group website currently does.

Currently I just post about local events in the Events section. This does the job as far as promoting the event is concerned but there's nothing deeper than that.

I was until recently a member of our local group committee. It was mentioned in a committee meeting that someone had heard from another local group that a certain well-known speaker, for whom they'd paid top dollar to hear talk, had put on a very poor show. On that basis we decided that we would not hire that speaker for the next year. I'm sure this kind of thing goes on in all local group committees, it just doesn't get discussed on the Internet.

Now then, local-group committee members might be discrete about this, but what if feedback from attendees at local group events got on this forum? On the one hand it might open a can of worms, on the other hand it might encourage speakers to up their game! The trouble is that once information is on the Internet it tends to stay there for a very long time.

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby Grahame Gardner » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:06 pm

It's been some time since we posed this suggestion of a forum area for Local Groups, but finally I've had a request from the Westmorland Dowsers for such a facility, so I will be setting up a private area on the forum for them.
If any other ALGs would like such a forum section, please let us know.

Now the other question is, should each ALG just have its own private forum area, or should we also think about having a communal ALG section where common topics of interest could be posted? I can see I'm making a rod for my own back here, as it could potentially be a bit of a nightmare trying to police such an area! :shock:

In answer to Ian's point above, the ALG section would be a private forum area and not visible to general public and search-bots, so there won't be any danger of sensitive information getting out to the internet in general. Well, not much danger.... :roll:
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
Grahame Gardner
Site Admin

Return to Forum matters