Good news, everyone!

Where to find forum tutorials, ask questions about technical issues etc.

Good news, everyone!

Postby Grahame Gardner » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:45 pm

Number one - the private messaging glitch has now been sorted out (we hope).

Number two - we have enabled avatars (that's the little user picture thingys, not the large aliens from planet Pandora). You can upload one from your own computer, or link to one on another website if you already have one elsewhere. Go to User Control Panel/ Profile tab/ Edit Avatar, and have fun!

Thanks to Richard for sorting that out.
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
Grahame Gardner
Site Admin

Re: Good news, everyone!

Postby Bonnie » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:25 pm

Grahame, I've never been able to see smilies as images, and I can't see your avatar - smilies and images only appear as blue boxes with white question marks at the center. Smilies are turned on, and I've elected to see smilies as images in my control panel - wonder what I'm doing wrong. Thank you for any suggestions.
Bonnie

Postby Helen-Healing » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:36 pm

I can't see your avatar either - just the dreaded red cross! Back to the drawing board, Richard! :mrgreen:
Helen-Healing

Postby Grahame Gardner » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:47 pm

That's odd - it's working for me. Can someone else try uploading an image and report back please?
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
Grahame Gardner
Site Admin

Postby Bonnie » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:03 pm

Maybe I should add that I'm on a Mac G4 PowerBook running OS X 10.4.11, with Safari 4.1.2 as my browser. (The Mac equivalent of the dreaded red x seems to be the dreaded white question mark, LOL.)
Bonnie

Postby Grahame Gardner » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:50 pm

Ah well, I'm afraid I have little experience of fruit-based computational technologies, Bonny so I can't be of much help; but I suspect it's probably something to do with your browser. I'd try using a different browser to see if that helps.

Smilies are a different issue - there are 6 that don't work at all and 16 that do. I'll try and have another fiddle when I get a chance, but I'm busy updating the EEG site at the moment so you may just have to live with it.
Grahame
Grahame Gardner
Site Admin

Postby Bonnie » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:30 pm

Thanks, Grahame. I only included the technical folderol because webmasters have asked me to supply it in the past. It means nothing to me, either!

Edited to add: I switched to Firefox, and still can't see the avatar - I see the words: User Avatar, but no image.
Bonnie

Postby Grahame Gardner » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:24 pm

Bonnie wrote:I see the words: User Avatar, but no image.

Ah, that's a help, thanks. Sounds like it's not actually uploading to the server then, but is visible only on my machine.
Grahame
Grahame Gardner
Site Admin

Postby simonwheeler » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:55 am

Do the rest of us get "Don't Avatar".... :oops: :oops:
As we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

www.simongordonwheeler.co.uk

Simon
simonwheeler

Postby Ian Pegler » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:21 am

Under Firefox I just see the words "User avatar". Under IE I see the little red cross.

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby Grahame Gardner » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:52 am

Hmmm... interesting. Can you see it now? I've tried changing my preferences so it's now linking to an off-site image of the BSD logo instead of (allegedly) uploading one from my machine.
Grahame
Grahame Gardner
Site Admin

Postby Ian Pegler » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:39 am

I can see it now, under FireFox and IE.

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby Grahame Gardner » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:07 pm

OK, so that would seem to confirm that it's only pretending to upload an image from your machine, and that you can see it but nobody else can. Hmmm.
errr... Richard? :shock:
Grahame
Grahame Gardner
Site Admin

Postby Ian Pegler » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:09 pm

What effect does clearing one's cache have?

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Postby Bonnie » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:58 pm

I can see your avatar now, Grahame.

Just now, I attempted to upload an avatar and wasn't able to do it - the file size seems to be correct and I was allowed to select and submit the picture, but nothing happened; the avatar box remained blank. It's okay, I won't mind not having an avatar, but I wonder if anyone else has encountered this.
Bonnie

Next

Return to Forum matters