forum smudging

Where to find forum tutorials, ask questions about technical issues etc.

forum smudging

Postby Grahame Gardner » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:22 pm

Well, the fracas and upheavals on the forum with our recently departed george have at least prompted me to begin a 'smudging' of the database and memberlist. It's been quite some time since we've had one, and it's long overdue. There is quite a bit of detritus around at the moment as a result of last nights 'executive action' and it will take us some time to go through everything and clean the place up, so apologies if you find any topics that don't seem to make sense or have posts missing (that's exactly the case).

There is a new 'recycle bin' section into which topics that are out of date, redundant or in some other way no longer relevant can be moved to by the moderators, in order to 'clean up' the main forum areas. Members can still see topics in there, and if they are particularly passionate about saving the topic, they can add posts to it, in which case the topic will (probably) be resurrected. If there is no interest, after a period of time the topics will be permanently deleted.
Note that you can't start new topics in that section. At least not if I've set it up correctly! :lol:

I will also be going through the member list and removing any 'dormant' members. That means if you have never posted, or have not visited the forum in over a year, your membership will be deleted and you will have to go through the joining and registration process again if you wish to participate in the forum.

It feels fresher in here already.... 8)
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
Grahame Gardner
Site Admin

Re: forum smudging

Postby Lorraine » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:36 pm

*sigh*... why do I always miss the exciting stuff??? LOL :lol:
Lorraine

Postby Helen-Healing » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:15 am

Smudging = purifying? :lol:
Helen-Healing

Postby B.J.C.Courtney » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:54 pm

Grahame Gardner wrote:Well, the fracas and upheavals on the forum with our recently departed george have at least prompted me to begin a 'smudging' of the database and memberlist. It's been quite some time since we've had one, and it's long overdue. There is quite a bit of detritus around at the moment as a result of last nights 'executive action' and it will take us some time to go through everything and clean the place up, so apologies if you find any topics that don't seem to make sense or have posts missing (that's exactly the case).

There is a new 'recycle bin' section into which topics that are out of date, redundant or in some other way no longer relevant can be moved to by the moderators, in order to 'clean up' the main forum areas. Members can still see topics in there, and if they are particularly passionate about saving the topic, they can add posts to it, in which case the topic will (probably) be resurrected. If there is no interest, after a period of time the topics will be permanently deleted.
Note that you can't start new topics in that section. At least not if I've set it up correctly! :lol:

I will also be going through the member list and removing any 'dormant' members. That means if you have never posted, or have not visited the forum in over a year, your membership will be deleted and you will have to go through the joining and registration process again if you wish to participate in the forum.

It feels fresher in here already.... 8)

I ive never heard of the term smudging being used in this way, iam glad ive returned just in time to save my posting, many thanks.
Bryan a some what Dsylexic travler in time and space.
B.J.C.Courtney

Return to Forum matters