Use Internet Explorer? Read this!

Where to find forum tutorials, ask questions about technical issues etc.

Use Internet Explorer? Read this!

Postby Grahame Gardner » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:25 pm

The French and German governments have advised people to stop using Internet Explorer because of fears that security breaches may allow hackers access to personal information. This follows an attack on Google's corporate network by Chinese hackers.
The Guardian wrote:The British government and armed forces are to continue their widespread use of the version of Microsoft's Internet Explorer browser that was attacked by Chinese hackers who broke into Google's corporate network – even though both the French and German governments have advised people to stop using it.

The Cabinet Office, which oversees the deployment of computers in government, said today that "it doesn't think the issue [of being open to hacking] would be resolved any better by going elsewhere".

But over the weekend the German government advised citizens to stop using any version of Internet Explorer because of the possibility of attacks against it which could compromise the user's computer without their knowledge – and lead to the theft of data or incursions into corporate networks.

Full story: CLICK HERE
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
Grahame Gardner
Site Admin

Re: Use Internet Explorer? Read this!

Postby An Ri Rua » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:33 am

Firefox and Opera man myself.

But when I was doing business with China (and all that entails in terms of State involvement in export promotion), I regularly had my machine scanned and attacked. Because I used the best I could get, Kaspersky, I never had problems. But continuous attacks from, it seemed starting points in Xiamen and also Washington DC. I used to work in datacentres so had the right kind of tools and knowledge to localise where attacks were originating.

The reality is we all need to stay on our toes. Even Scroogle.org, for instance, could actually be a honeypot for 'troublemakers' or whatever they call us these days.
Hey, they might be able to monitor the info superhighway but they can't monitor the dowsing superhighway! (Black magic apart!)
An Ri Rua

Postby SLAH » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:21 am

I recently swapped to Firefox, but have had a few issues with websites, such as blogger, and others, but it seems slightly more efficient in downloading and uploading. Chrome was also recommended but I am becoming more and more concerned with Google products.
"Never be a passive listener or learner" ~ Christian Gottfried Hahnemann
SLAH

Postby Ian Pegler » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:56 am

I use FireFox with an Add-on tool called "NoScript"

http://noscript.net/

It sometimes gets in the way but makes for safer surfing, I think!

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Return to Forum matters