'403 - Forbidden' error messages

Where to find forum tutorials, ask questions about technical issues etc.

'403 - Forbidden' error messages

Postby Grahame Gardner » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:12 pm

Like Ian, I am now noticing that I get '403 - Forbidden - you do not have permission to access this document' messages when I try to submit posts. Is anyone else finding this? I'm not sure what the problem is and am investigating, but I've found that things seem to work eventually if you just keep using the 'back' button on your browser and resubmitting the message. Previewing it first seems to help a bit too.
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
Grahame Gardner
Site Admin

Re: '403 - Forbidden' error messages

Postby fostertom » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:18 pm

Yes, I got that. Luckily the post's still there when I go 'Back'........ (Just did it again when I Submitted the prev sentence!)
fostertom

Postby Grahame Gardner » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:33 pm

Geoff has just reported this happening too, although he had to do so via PM, as he couldn't post it. I'm working on it...
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
Grahame Gardner
Site Admin

Postby Satyr » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:31 pm

I also had it a few times, but going back usually worked out
Practice random acts of kindness
Satyr

Postby arthur hamlin » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:19 pm

Likewise,
Arthur
arthur hamlin

Postby Grahame Gardner » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:12 am

OK, it appears this is something to do with our server security systems, but Richard's not sure why it's happening. Although I have to say I've not had any problems so far today (fingers crossed).
If it does happen to you, please make a note of the board time and date and PM me with the details, so that we can go through the server log to find what's causing the problems.
Grahame
Grahame Gardner
Site Admin

Postby Ian Pegler » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:47 pm

If you try to link to certain external sites within your posts you may get this '403 - Forbidden' error.

This, apparently, is because some domains are banned because they have had spyware or other malware associated with their websites at some time in the past and the server 'thinks' you are trying to spam the forum with banned, nasty URLs.

Not only will you get a 403 error if you attempt to link to a banned site, you will also be temporarily banned from the forum for approximately 15-20 minutes.

One example is angelfire dot com . (for the reasons given above I can't provide a proper link).

Ian
Ian Pegler
BSD member

Return to Forum matters